Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RiverRider
If you wamt me to take off my hat indoors, the boots come off too. Your call.
whistle

I tend to agree, assuming I even have boots on as I go barefoot quite often. eek

I wear a hat most of the day, started when I was young. My own mother said when I was about 12 that if she didn't know better she'd think I was a Hassidic Jew. I generally am never seen in a public place without a hat. I will take my hat off when asked in certain circumstances, like at the table in my friends' house where I am presently staying. Otherwise, I have a hat on. Even in my own house a good part of the day. I have on occasion even fallen asleep with my hat on.

IN looking for the origins of this "convention" I found this:

https://www.levinehat.com/pages/hat-etiquette

Seems according to some sources the tradition was because hats were outerwear and got dirty so take them off. Probably similar to taking off one's shoes in certain houses (and cultures).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/11/AR2011021103545.html

Lots of other "rules" about hats, like not showing the inside to others when you take it off, etc:

http://www.traditioninaction.org/Cultural/A045cpCivility_Hats.htm

But I'm not a big follower of some conventions, I haven't worn a tie in years, don't even know where the one tie (a bolo tie) I own is. Why give anyone a head start on a hangin'

When I do take a hat off, I never put it on a bed!!!!

y'all can keep your hats on around me. I'm not fussy.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
how many of you were taught respect for these things by a father, like mine, that would wack you up the back of the head for transgressing?
I learned pretty quick to stay out of range.

Ron, hope all is well there in phx.

I was taught a lot of stuff by my father with the method you described .................. some of which made sense, some....... not so much!

Like the time I got whacked for pushing a shovel into the dirt with the wrong foot.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
In reality it's an old tradition of respect, whether in the house of God or being a guest in someone's home. Traditions of civility have taken a backseat in today's world, many of the younger generation don't believe in the same values and traditions of the past...many aren't people of faith, and that's their right.

Even holidays are a celebration of what ?, most forgetting that the purpose was a religious one..no-believers still demand their day off work and pile of gifts. Easter is for jelly beans and Rabbits, Christmas is for gifts and food...and going to Mass is out of the question for them.

Doors aren't held open for women, rarely please & thank you's, swear like sailors in a restaurant...much to be learned from the "good ole' days".

I can relate to what you're saying here, and I can say I'd voluntarily doff my cover when being received into your home for the first time. Kind of a formality thing as I see it, but once I get to know someone well, formality goes out the window...neither rendered nor expected. But, there are and always be boundaries. They may change over time, but they're there nontheless.

I wasn't passing judgement on whether the traditions are observed, instead that's why the traditions are longer practiced. Many children today are raised by daycare employees, when I was a child my Mother put a whooping on me herself...and taught me the "rules of life" whether I liked it or not, she never waited for "Dad to get home from work" to be the enforcer. Just table manners alone, would disqualify most of today's youth from eating at my mother's table smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gotcha, I think you're right. It's a shame what has happened to society, and I'd gladly take back the silliest social conventions to get the important ones reinstated.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I wasn't passing judgement on whether the traditions are observed, instead that's why the traditions are longer practiced. Many children today are raised by daycare employees, when I was a child my Mother put a whooping on me herself...and taught me the "rules of life" whether I liked it or not, she never waited for "Dad to get home from work" to be the enforcer. Just table manners alone, would disqualify most of today's youth from eating at my mother's table smile

Yep. I can still hear the instructions. Sit up straight. Elbows off the table. Hold the fork correctly. Don't saw the meat with the knife. Quit switching hands, the fork stays in the left and the knife in the right.

I knew what finger bowls were before I ever went into a fancy restaurant. Mom was old school when I was little. grin

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by jnyork
Originally Posted by kingston
The anti-hat rack lobby is to blame.

More truth than fiction here. When is the last time you went in a restaurant and saw a hat rack, or any other place to put your hat? When I was growing up in Wyoming, if you were sitting at a table with your hat on, someone would take it off for you. eek Height of bad manners and crudity. I see guys doing it all the time now, even in real nice places, still bothers me. Yet, there is usually no place to put the dang thing.

Sit on it!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hats off indoors is a Christian custom. The Bible says a man's head should not be covered when coming before the Lord in prayer or to minister. Thus not wearing a hat indoors. It became a custom or to enter another Chirstians home.

The Bible also says a woman's head should be covered when in prayer or ministering before the Lord, thus hats and head coverings for women. It also says a woman should dress modestly. Muslims took it to the extreme. Didn't really say how other than a few guidelines.

Our pastor said the best way to dress is can someone looking at you especially from the rear tell if you are a man or woman. Women shouldn't dress like a butch and cut their hair too short, men not to wear effeminate clothing and have long hair. Nuff said.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman

Yep. I can still hear the instructions. Sit up straight. Elbows off the table. Hold the fork correctly. Don't saw the meat with the knife. Quit switching hands, the fork stays in the left and the knife in the right.

I knew what finger bowls were before I ever went into a fancy restaurant. Mom was old school when I was little. grin

You'd be welcomed at my mothers table for a meal, you get it smile

BTW: If you travel much, you'll soon learn that most hold their utensils in the opposite hands than we do...and they immediately know "who" you are, and where you're from.

Last edited by Bwana_1; 03/30/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My poor mama couldn't get past "eat your spinach" until I was 13, and then I kept her busy with "leave some for everyone else!" until I left the house when I was 18.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
Hats off indoors is a Christian custom. The Bible says a man's head should not be covered when coming before the Lord in prayer or to minister. Thus not wearing a hat indoors. It became a custom or to enter another Chirstians home.

I do pull the hat every night when saying grace over food. But it goes right back on after.

FJB & FJT
IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
My boys know how to wear a hat and when not to wear it. I don't care if I'm going inside Walmart, I take my hat off. I also open doors for females (if I can recognize them as such.) My boys also know enough not to start gobbling their food until everyone is seated, grace has been said and the lady of the house starts to eat.

Mathew 22: 37-39

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Tag
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I always thought it started with the Bible's man praying should have his head uncovered. The flip of that is how many women wear hats to church? Not the hijab thing, just a decent "dressed up" hat. Even gloves.

It is true that we baldies need our hats, and dthere is no place to put it, I sometimes put it under the chair in restaurants. I ran across a reference once that said regular hats off; cowboy hats stay on. I absolutely remove my hat for prayers, funerals (even a passing procession), and such as a sign of respect.

BTW; Did you know if you wear a baseball cap backwards it will keep the sun out of your eyes?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
"Mess with the bull & you get the horns"

Mess with my cowboy hat when it's on my head & you'd wished you'd have messed with the bull.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have never given a flying fugk if a person is wearing a hat or not.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
In a place where you head does not need protection from either sun or rain, the hat should come off.

Wearing a hat for any other reason is nothing more than a fashion statement. If you are so obsessed with making a fashion statement that you chose to defy common courtesy, you are most likely not someone I would want to spend a great deal of time around.

When either of my sons got in my truck with their hat on, it was always the same question "Are you expecting to rain in here? If not, please take your hat off."

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
There are lots of old useless traditions that are no longer observed. Many started for practical reasons, but once those reasons were no longer needed the tradition dies. There was a time when men and women sat on opposite sides in church. There was a time when not wearing an undershirt under your regular shirt was not allowed.

And I don't always wear a ball cap to keep the sun out of my eyes. The right type will keep my head warm regardless of the direction it is worn. And backwards is less likely to get knocked off when moving through brush or riding an ATV.

That said, I won't wear my hat or cap in church, during a funeral, prayer or during the National Anthem. But otherwise indoors is fine. I'm not going to walk around in the grocery store, mall or sporting goods store holding my hat/cap in my hands.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Marshgrass
In a place where you head does not need protection from either sun or rain, the hat should come off.

Wearing a hat for any other reason is nothing more than a fashion statement. If you are so obsessed with making a fashion statement that you chose to defy common courtesy, you are most likely not someone I would want to spend a great deal of time around.

When either of my sons got in my truck with their hat on, it was always the same question "Are you expecting to rain in here? If not, please take your hat off."

What kind of fughin' moron expects a person to walk around Cabelas carrying his hat?

You extend that schit to cowboy hats around here and you'll get your ass stomped.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Just think Jewish and wear your hat / cap as a show of reverence to G_d. As an Aggie I know about doffing for war memorials, uncovering for prayer and the national anthem, etc. Not worried if social norms vary. Do you doff for everyone you say "Hello" to? Action to fit the circumstance -- can't believe I actually posted on this topic...

Last edited by agazain; 03/30/17.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Sometimes hat on inside the house if just in for a minute, but never at the table, doesn't matter if it's at home or out in public.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,478
Posts18,490,004
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.