Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ring that Cowbell! Mississippi St shocks UConn in Final Four

[Linked Image]
Mississippi State guard Morgan William (2) shoots the winning shot against Connecticut in an NCAA
college basketball game in the semifinals of the women's Final Four, Friday, March 31, 2017, in Dallas.
Mississippi State won 66-64. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

DALLAS (AP) — Mississippi State coach Vic Schaefer last year was showing the movie "Miracle" to his players and hoping for one.

Now, the Bulldogs are living one.

A year after an embarrassing 60-point loss to mighty UConn in the Sweet 16, the Bulldogs are headed to their first national championship game. Morgan William's overtime buzzer-beating jumper gave them a 66-64 victory over the four-time defending national champion Huskies in the national semifinals Friday night.

"It was personal. ... We had to prove we're a much better team than last year," said Victoria Vivians, who led the Bulldogs with 19 points.

"What an unbelievable gutsy performance that no one in the country, including all of y'all, probably thought could happen, and that's OK," Schaefer said. "But we knew it could happen."

Just like the 1980 U.S. men's Olympic hockey that upset the heavily favored Soviet Union team on way to the gold medal, Mississippi State (34-4) still has one more game to play after ending UConn's 111-game winning streak.

The Bulldogs, with four seniors and four juniors, will play South Carolina in an all-SEC matchup for the national title Sunday night.

"This year, I wasn't showing 'Miracle.' We weren't watching any movies, I wasn't talking about the Philistines slaying giants, although it was in the back of my mind," Schaefer said. "We beat the greatest team with the greatest streak in the history of sports."

Schaefer was part of a national championship while on coach Gary Blair's staff at Texas A&M in 2011, then became Mississippi State's head coach.

Now the Bulldogs are one win away from one of their own after perhaps the biggest upset in women's basketball history.

"We didn't have to play them best-out-of-seven, didn't' have to beat them best-out-five," Schaefer said. "We just had to play them one time, beat them one time."

Schaefer described his team has having tremendous heart and some pride, which got stepped on by UConn last season.

William, who scored 41 points in Mississippi State's regional final victory over top-seeded Baylor, had 13 points against the Huskies. She had a layup attempt blocked at the end of regulation.

"Ain't any shots bigger than then one she hit tonight," Schaefer said.

"Well, Coach called the timeout. He was like, 'Morgan, you can win the game.' That's what he said," William said. "When I made the shot, I was in shock. I'm still in shock."

So is UConn.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Stunning, I didn't think it was possible. Good for them.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Your right basketball sucks A$$ and C%^T basketball really sucks, no words to express it !!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Fans get to thinking their team will never lose.

When the team gets that thought, they usually do.

A tip of the hat to Miss St.

Black Cows Matter!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
women's sports? Meh.

Sam......

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'd rather watch women's college basketball than the NBA.

Kudos to Miss St for accomplishing the impossible.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congratulations to Mississippi State for a tremendous accomplishment. As I pointed out in another thread, had it been football, the accomplishment would be denigrated, and the emphasis would have been on UConn losing the game rather than MS winning it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Who cares ??

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I care!

Go Bulldogs!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a shame women's sports get such short shrift. It's just the way it is, but I do feel bad for the ladies. We went through this in fastpitch with our daughter. They vied for a state championship every year, and the only ones that showed for the game were the parents and grandparents. Heck, the high school principal couldn't ever drag his lazy azz across the parking lot to come watch a game.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That was a hell of run. Yes it's always a thriller when the squeaker shot at the end comes through. I do think highly of the players who mention that the first shot made at the beginning was just as important though.

Last edited by 1minute; 04/01/17.

1Minute
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Congrats to both teams, for the long winning record and the upset victory.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
#HailState! Sec! Sec! Sec! Feels good to beat Geno&Uconn.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
probably the best college game of the year men or women!! go m-state

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
welcome to the fire!

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

This^ Used to be a rabid Boston Celtics fan in the Russell/Havlicheck/Cowens/Bird era. Now it's a clown show. Act like you've been there before!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well I wasn't going to watch it since Baylor wasn't in it but after reading Red Neck's post about this little pint sized point guard from Miss St...I decided I'd watch it. Boy, am I glad I did. That young lady can play ball. It's not the fact that she hit the winning shot, it was her amazing play through out the entire game. By far the best performance by any player male or female I've seen all year. She seems like a quality person as well. Thanks Red Neck, powdr

Last edited by powdr; 04/01/17.
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I had Ruthie Hebard in my class yesterday talking to the students about how academics were more important than sports. Sure, the Lady Ducks got blown out by Uconn but much of it was because she was doubled during the entire game. Mark my words she will be a top player by her senior year.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D

Me too.

donsm70

Life Member...Safari Club International
Life Member...Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation
Life Member...Keystone Country Elk Alliance
Life Member...National Rifle Association
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Yea,

But it's still basketball.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,091 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,780
Posts18,495,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.