Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
John,

Very interesting........thanks for the comments.

MM

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You're welcome. There's going to be an article on powder and temperature in an upcoming issue of HANDLOADER, but probably not until fall, because I have to do some more hot-weather testing first.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Appreciate all the inputs and look forward to your article. I did get a few data points from a ball powder both before and after it was modified by flattening (and whatever else they did). It lost a little velocity and did not demonstrate to be any more temperature resistant. 70 to 15deg. Kind of disappointed as it offers great velocity and accuracy. But, I can always carry a few in my pocket and keep them warm if it really bothers me!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone have any way to validate the claim that magpro increases "lubricity "as told to me by nosler.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by high_country_
Anyone have any way to validate the claim that magpro increases "lubricity "as told to me by nosler.

Well, being a General Dynamics spherical, it has a fair amount of graphite. Does that count? laugh

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Reloder28
My RL22 loads were equally accurate at any temperature but not equal in velocity.

Mine too...

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by high_country_
I've done 25 years worth of load building and accuracy chasing, I understand powder temperature sensitivity and barrel harmonics.

My studies have never attempted to quantify this;

If a given combo was to shoot .5 moa at a known node at 25*f, does the velocity difference at say....75*f bring the load out of the node? I'm using 3% as a temp sensitivity number for argument sake and assuming that we loaded and chronographed @ 25*. If we had 3000fps @25* and gained 3% at our top temperature that's a gain of 90fps.

Aside from the potential pressure issue does the rifle fall out of the node? Does the temp of the rifle itself come to play to equalize this? Should we load for "X" velocity by adjusting the powder charge?

Yes, to many of your questions. Rifle temperature can influence burning rate especially in hot climates. Most Americans never hunt in those extremes as the majority of hunting seasons are in cooler to cold temperatures.

Double based powders have demonstrated this more than single based powders which is why there is so much interest in the newer powders that are demonstrating a relative insensitivity to temperature shifts.

I have hunted in hot temperatures where the hunt is cancelled because of the increase in snake activity which like powders, increased as does temperature.

During those hotter temperatures, loads worked up in cooler temperatures are more easily noted as changing pressures and and accuracy.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had an interesting experience one summer.(Probable temp., high 80s or low 90s.) I had worked up an accurate load in my 257 Roberts, using a below-max charge of H4831, and a 120 gr bullet. No pressure signs whatsoever.

I loaded a round, then paused for a few minutes. I returned, and fired the loaded round. I noticed the bolt was a bit "sticky" upon opening, the primer was flattened more than others of the same batch, and the case had expanded slightly into the ejector(?) opening, leaving a bright mark. shocked

I figure the heated barrel and chamber heated the round enough to increase pressure in what before had been a consistent load.

What's the worst thing that can happen? O.K., what's the next worst thing?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Around here all the LRP bunch gobble up every lb of H4350 within a 100 miles, while there are shelves flowing over with IMR 4350. They tell me it is a temp sensitive issue.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (160user, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,840
Posts18,496,815
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.