Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Jeez.. .What the hell did you hit to get THAT damage?? Get a bit too close to a skimmer when on a training leg??

If all the air was blown, how did you rise? Curious to know.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a BIG shark bite.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Has anyone read "Final Harbor", a novel about WWII submarine warfare in the Pacific? It's a good read.

Also, for WWI submarine books: To the Last Salute, by G. Von Trapp (Biography), and A Sailor of Austria, by J. Biggins (novel).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TooDogs
I recently read this book about the untold story of American submarine espionage after WWII up to the end of the Cold War.

This was a great book. The USA was very much concerned with what the Soviets were doing with nuclear missile development. And Soviet submarine development. The US spend lots of $$ for sub hardware to collect intel. The Soviets spent much less, instead invested in paying US citizens to spy.

President Reagan is remembered for his economic achievements. He's also recognized for ending the cold war, disarmament of American and Soviet nuclear arsenals.

Interesting read.

A lot of that centers around the USS Halibut. Really I think our first committed spy sub. Ballsy is sneaking into the Sea of Okhotsk into shallow enough water for divers to work and tapping a Soviet communications line. Then going back several times.

Don't think the Soviets didn't know what the USS Halibut was for and would have sunk it and shut up if they could.

I always wondered if the Halibut had orders to scuttle before capture in that operation, and if that was to do that with all aboard. In any case, sunk shallow you can bet the Soviets would have attempted to salvage.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My dad's boat spent weeks laying on the bottom of the harbor at Vladivostok by day. They'd sneak out at night to charge the batteries and sneak back in before sunrise for another day of fun and games...went on for weeks. Middle 50s.

I took the other option during my time in service. We hunted subs in P-3Cs.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My admiration for anyone who could serve on one of those things knows no bounds. If I were to be rendered unconscious and placed in one, when I came to and found out where I was, I would probably claw my way straight through the hull.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Subs are pretty cool. My experience consists of a couple days under on the USS Permit. Fast attack sub guys are kind of like geek fighter pilots. You definitely want them on your side.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Those P-3s are damn good planes - along with the guys flyin' 'em.... We operated with P-3s out of SD on many training exercises.. One was so good, he landed a 'brownie-bomb' RIGHT on top of the after engine room hatch.. We found it wedged on the wheel when we came to the surface.. Hard to get more accurate than that.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redneck
I do believe Redneck served aboard a US submarine. He used to have the vessel name in his signature line.

I don't recall if it was a diesel boat or nuclear.

I did - but both boats were WWII-types.. Diesel-electric.. USS Redfish and USS Razorback; the latter is now on display at the North Little Rock Maritime Museum.. It's 90% operational - and if anyone wants to see one that's virtually intact, that's the one to see.

And Thank You for your service Redneck!

The USS Cobia in Manitowoc is functional also. Once a year the engines are ran. On a tour I asked if she is taken out on Lake Michigan. Guy said can't, we have an agreement with Canada that she remains moored. Kids (mee too) like sitting on seat of deck gun, pretending.

People can book an overnight stay on-board. The workmanship inside the Cobia is a thing of beauty to my eye. Boy Scout groups run the radios from time to time I'm told. Steel skirting (don't know what the Navy calls it) has Jap bullet holes here and there. I learned what a "clean sweep" means, if the sub returned to port with a broom on the mast (shot all her torpedo's)

GOA
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My dad's boat spent weeks laying on the bottom of the harbor at Vladivostok by day. They'd sneak out at night to charge the batteries and sneak back in before sunrise for another day of fun and games...went on for weeks. Middle 50s.

RR, did you ever fly out of NAS JAX, or somewhere in the SE USA, or spend time at the AUTEC Range?

Last edited by muffin; 04/03/17.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We were based at NAS Jacksonville. We deployed to NAF Sigonella, Sicily twice while I was in. I just missed a deployment to Keflavik, Iceland and one to Bermuda.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
RR, me and another feller here at the fire worked in ATC .... Sent more than a few of you guys out over the water and back....

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool. Did you end up as an FAA ATC by any chance?

Don't be the darkness.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Cool. Did you end up as an FAA ATC by any chance?

FAA-ATC only. Never wore the uniform.

I thank you for that.

FAA from Dec '83 to Aug '07

( . Y . )
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Redneck
I do believe Redneck served aboard a US submarine. He used to have the vessel name in his signature line.

I don't recall if it was a diesel boat or nuclear.

I did - but both boats were WWII-types.. Diesel-electric.. USS Redfish and USS Razorback; the latter is now on display at the North Little Rock Maritime Museum.. It's 90% operational - and if anyone wants to see one that's virtually intact, that's the one to see.

And Thank You for your service Redneck!

The USS Cobia in Manitowoc is functional also. Once a year the engines are ran. On a tour I asked if she is taken out on Lake Michigan. Guy said can't, we have an agreement with Canada that she remains moored. Kids (mee too) like sitting on seat of deck gun, pretending.

People can book an overnight stay on-board. The workmanship inside the Cobia is a thing of beauty to my eye. Boy Scout groups run the radios from time to time I'm told. Steel skirting (don't know what the Navy calls it) has Jap bullet holes here and there. I learned what a "clean sweep" means, if the sub returned to port with a broom on the mast (shot all her torpedo's)

IIRC, the guys at N. Little Rock allows a few to stay over-night on the Razorback also.. And I know the Cobia (visited her 3X) is 'functional', but they've removed a bunch of things on board to make more room for visitors.. They've removed nothing on the Razorback - so people going through can actually realize just how tight the quarters are on these things..

I'd love to visit a newer boat - maybe an older SSBN if there's any available.. Got on the old Albacore once but, of course, not allowed to see too much of it at the time; it was still in service and experimental..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,693 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,532
Posts18,530,949
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.