-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm infatuated with automatic watches. As a diver the automatic dive watches have been in my wrist for 30 plus years now.

Rolex is the king of the watch world for those who only know status. Not for those who actually know performance and function. There are plenty of watch makers that produce equal or better quality with better user functions and to my eye far better looking then a Rolex. For a Diver the submariner is a classic that is hard to find any fault with other then the cost.

In my 30's I bought an Omega Seamaster chronograph for about 60% less than a Rolex Submariner. The Chronograph function and pushers work under water too, unlike anything else made by anybody at the time. Nobody then, and likely few today make a watch with pushers that can be used under water.

That watch is +3 seconds a month accurate and is Chronometer certified. Nothing mechanical will beat that at any price. I don't wear that watch much. It's so expensive that I worry that it will get banged into something or lost! I have other dive watches that work about as well as I need and cost far less. These are from very small makers that might only make 30-40 watches a year or as many as 300-500 at one production run over a couple years. They are very nice and made with such hand made care and perfection that nothing really comes close to them. Guess what, about 1/5th to 1/10th the cost of a Rolex too!

Of course, nobody has ever heard of these companies because they are so small. Ennebi from Italy comes to mind as does Helberg from Germany. I would take a beautiful Ennebi Over any watch made by anyone at any price!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by BayouRover
When I use the term "grown men" I'm pretty sure I'm not referring to Starman, so I'll simply say that I have no idea what his issues are.

He's just another Sockpuppet/Troll. 30 days here with 800+ post and no real personal info just bragging and putting others down gets him to ignore pretty quickly.

We have a good troll hunting squad here when they put their mind to it and I'm sure they'll get around to "him" soon. In the meantime ignore works well.

Pugs, Starman's been around since 2007. The new guy in this instance isn't the problem.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kingston

Pugs, Starman's been around since 2007. The new guy in this instance isn't the problem.

Apologies - Confusing him with another new user. All other advice remains the same. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've got an Oris dive watch on my wrist right now that is built like a tank and pressure rated for 300 meters. It is an exceptional watch from for the price.

Last edited by JoeBob; 04/04/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm thinking Starman might be a jeweler or have a jeweler in the family who Rolex pulled AD status from. He's not just pushing buttons for kicks. His bias is too seething. I pray our witness to his vitriol is cathartic.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For you guys in the know, how close is Omega to Rolex in terms of quality and reliability?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Pretty comparable. Fanboys may disagree.

I would say Omega is 98 to 99 percent of Rolex for $3 to $6k less in a comparable watch. Plus, only Omega has been to the moon and only Omega literally saved the lives of the astronauts on Apollo 13.

Last edited by JoeBob; 04/04/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For functional dive watches there is no comparison Omega wins that, for jewelry watches and those that hold resale value better Rolex wins that hands down.

A funny side note, James bond wears an Omega in every movie. As stated above NASA tested the top watches made in the world and chose Omega for every single space mission. They could not use quartz movements in space due to some magnetic issues they figured out. The watches had to me automatics with a case made that was unable to become magnetized or screw up the movement. The article goes into pretty deep detail on the testing.

The Speedmaster watch they used is engraved on the back case saying the first and only watch to go to the moon.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the first four James Bond films, he wore a Rolex Submariner 6538.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yeah, but he also wore Capri pants apparently.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Finally some damned pictures!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Yeah, but he also wore Capri pants apparently.

Didn't everybody?

I'll have to ask Kaywoodie.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Tudor sells more or less that exact same watch. It is the Black Bay.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Techsan
For you guys in the know, how close is Omega to Rolex in terms of quality and reliability?
I've owned both and IMO the Omega is better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As far as a dive watch is concerned, (it's all I have so I'm not an information source on anything else) I would not own any dive watch for serious use that has spring bars unless one of these two conditions is met. It must have a bracelet with solid end links ( pretty good improvement), or a nato strap ( double good improvement). Solid end links are a massively better design to secure the bracelet to the case. The NATO strap requires a double pin failure instead of a single.

If you really want to be serious about an actual Dive watch it needs threaded lug bars, not that 12 cent thin metal tube with a spring to hold the watch on over a wet suit sleeve.

I have had those spring bars break on me too many times to count. One recent event was while fishing. Making a long cast to the base of the mangroves my watch flew off my wrist. About two weeks prior to this the spring bar broke and I replaced it. Literally, brand new spring bar broke! Study that connection point and think about a 3000-5000 plus watch and consider that entire expensive piece of kit is secured with a thin metal tube that cost pennies.

It would be like tying your boat to the dock with kite string!

N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by JJHACK
As far as a dive watch is concerned, (it's all I have so I'm not an information source on anything else) I would not own any dive watch for serious use that has spring bars unless one of these two conditions is met. It must have a bracelet with solid end links ( pretty good improvement), or a nato strap ( double good improvement). Solid end links are a massively better design to secure the bracelet to the case. The NATO strap requires a double pin failure instead of a single.

If you really want to be serious about an actual Dive watch it needs threaded lug bars, not that 12 cent thin metal tube with a spring to hold the watch on over a wet suit sleeve.

I have had those spring bars break on me too many times to count. One recent event was while fishing. Making a long cast to the base of the mangroves my watch flew off my wrist. About two weeks prior to this the spring bar broke and I replaced it. Literally, brand new spring bar broke! Study that connection point and think about a 3000-5000 plus watch and consider that entire expensive piece of kit is secured with a thin metal tube that cost pennies.

It would be like tying your boat to the dock with kite string!

I'll bet you said, "oops"! laugh

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That Milgauss is pretty cool!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK

--Solid end links are a massively better design to secure the bracelet to the case.

--The NATO strap requires a double pin failure instead of a single.

If you really want to be serious about an actual Dive watch it needs threaded lug bars, not that 12 cent thin metal tube.

Vast majority of Rolex diver owners are not divers..they have no real use or purpose for a properly engineered
and constructed dive watch.

Its simply laughable that some call Rolex 'superb'...that means they must really like the crappy 'tuna can' bracelets.

Only in more recent yrs have Rolex given customers of gold Subs and actual solid gold winding crown,
prior it was only gold capped....LOL.....and the gold centrelinks were hollow!...talk about cheap ass.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hell hath no fury.....

Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

465 members (1badf350, 1234, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 47 invisible), 1,770 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,037
Posts18,521,025
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.