Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So a couple of years ago I got this second hand for $50.00 and I really couldn't pass it up (typically $150 new, and this was essentially new). At the time I bought this, had a very nice English made Record 4" vise that I had been using for over 15 years, and I was very happy with it...at least I thought so.

Initially I just put it on the shelf; like I said, I was happy with my Record. But then another gunsmith friend of mine said he had basically the same vise from some unknown maker. He also had a beautiful old Athol 5" that I drooled over a few times. Well he started using the 360 rotating import and hasn't gone back; he really liked that rotating head feature. So I thought I might as well take it for a test ride.

So I mounted the Wilton import (I think they're made in Korea), cast some lead soft jaws, and made some Delrin jaws.

Well my friend was right, that 360 degree rotation is a feature that's become indispensable. So my Record has been permanently moved to another side of the shop where I work on motorcycles, and the Wilton is now my primary vise.

[Linked Image]

Now as a gunsmith, I'm not hard on a vise and I'm not sure how well this is suited for really tough jobs. I did give it a really big workout unscrewing an MG42 barrel from a trunion, so it hasn't exactly been babied. But a mechanic may want to go ahead and find a vintage real American made vise. Honestly, I doubt I'd pay $150 for that vise, but I'm happy with my "used" price.

For general stuff, and certainly for gunsmithing I find myself recommending an imported tool...and I'm VERY pro-buy American; especially when it comes to tools.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Looks like a perfectly usable solution at a great price. Well done. I like the 360 degree rotating head.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And used US made 'bullet' Wilton vises are selling for $200-$350!

(Or more for the very large ones.)

Retired cat herder.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by g5m
And used US made 'bullet' Wilton vises are selling for $200-$350!

(Or more for the very large ones.)

I have a vintage Wilton bullet vise about the same size in immaculate shape. Love it. Paid $225 for it, shipped.

Last edited by Godogs57; 04/08/17.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
How did you make the jaws?

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
[Linked Image]

I bought this one 40 years ago, it's had a lot of use, still good.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Make a REAL imrovement in what's already a great design,...make a punch outta' that ridiculous SHORT handle and fit one almost TWICE as long,...you'll probably need to glom onto a stick of O1 metric drill rod. I generally chitcan those silly little, to short knuckle bustin' rotation handles
and just grab a bull prick when I need to adjust something.
....as far as the handle goes, I generally keep on of those elastic tarp bungees ( the ones that are a loop through a plastic ball) wrapped around where the handle hubs into the lead screw,....with the handle Equi-distant / centered,....I'll tell ya' what, ....you're gonna LIKE the speed and ease with which you can open and close the thing, Just give er' a spin...as for pulling things down TIGHT,....only needing half the effort's a plus, when one puts in long days.
Phouc OSHA,....and don't let the Safety Boss , or idiots near you vice. Be aware that cast iron / cast steel DO have their limits. Don't by New chit quality Harbor frieght cast ANYTHING. If you just have to, ....bring a magnet and go over the piece carefully,....bondo does not a good vice make.

I've got that thing's big brother out in my welding bay,...Payed $100 for it used 18 years ago.
Gonna' move it onto a swinging arm for light work, and pull the gigantic all steel S. African RECORD of the azz of my now retired and derelict welding deck for the welding bench.

Sunday morning freebie,...tech tips from Cameron.

Last edited by crossfireoops; 04/08/17.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am an industrial maintenance feller and Wilton is the best vice. Period. Tradesman, like what hanco has, is the best style of Wilton, but any Wilton is good.

"Faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, and more money." -Tom T Hall

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This one's been rode hard and put away wet, it was old and beat up when I got it 18 years ago,....
[Linked Image]

Wilton's NEVER built anything to match the all steel RECORD's that were made by poor oppressed blackamoors in S. Africa, back before the boycott on those nasty Apartheid types,...
Got mine in W. Canada in the '80s

Wilton's DO break,....The all steel record DON'T
.......God knows we've tried.

Generally agree as regards Wilton quality,....but in all honesty and fairness have to say that some of the stuff that came out of India and China 30 years ago was damn GOOD.
None of it ever landed on American shores, you had to go into the third world to find it,....there's a LOT of that gear just S. of the line in Mex., S. America too.
The vice I pictured above is out of the "Iron Rooster" foundry in China,....HAS to be at least 40 50 years old.
Came up outta' Mex. to a flea market,....I reckon the purveyor stole it outta' a mine,....dunno'.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A

That vise looks identical to my Harbor Freight vise...........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The rotating head is sweet

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Casey

Well duh,....
Yes, and that's cuz' that stupid GATT agreement virtually DESTROYED American Patent rights and autority.
Every damned quality product we ever made's being counterfitted in China and other 3rd world mfg. countries.
Tell ya' what,....knock all the paint off an original Wilton
...than do the same with the HF vise,....CAREFULLY,...don't break out the bondo
....OK,....now compare the quality of the raw castings,....I mean TEST them,....and see what you've got, seasoned casting v. one cast out of an old Desoto with the battery still in it......
People that tout this knock off crap really know chit from bean dip
about quality, and the basic properties of raw materials.
GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 04/09/17.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by nemotheangler
I am an industrial maintenance feller and Wilton is the best vice. Period. Tradesman, like what hanco has, is the best style of Wilton, but any Wilton is good.

+1

For indoor use the machinist/pipe vice combo with swivel is hard to beat. Handy like pockets on a shirt...
If your gonna be out in the elements, the tradesman, by over-all general design and with the sealed end will take a lot more abuse.

While the Wilton casting isn't what it used to be, it's still a lot better than much of the junk that's being offered out there today.
That's why I always keep my eyes open at the flea markets and yard sales.

I just bought a Wilton cross vice for my drill press. I already had a cheaper name on another drill press that works alright, but the Wilton was definitely worth the extra change$.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
People that tout this knock off crap really know chit from bean dip

GTC

!!!Too good. I want to say something clever but that is too funny to beat. Wait, there is a difference other than cheese?

Dang, I drove through Cameron last month. Please keep these tech tips coming as I am just a garage level hobbyist.

Me solum relinquatis

Molon Labe
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You're absolutely bang on about the lack of really well seasoned castings out there, and old DOES = Better

Here's a pick of my OLD, American founded hard run Brownells 'Smith's vice,....replete with extended handle in "spin fast position.
[Linked Image]

Big old American drop forged Armstrong C' clamp gave it's all to build the clamp on base,....that vice gets around,....even goes out to shooting ranges sometimes.

Call Brownells and ask them WHERE their identically listed vises are made now,....and where their buyers got them a better price .
Ask for some replacement parts for your original, for a REAL look at the state of quality appreciation and consumer acceptance of lesser quality is really at.

GTC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That first one looks like a C2.?

"....as far as the handle goes, I generally keep on of those elastic tarp bungees ( the ones that are a loop through a plastic ball) wrapped around where the handle hubs into the lead screw,....with the handle Equi-distant / centered,....I'll tell ya' what, ....you're gonna LIKE the speed and ease with which you can open and close the thing, Just give er' a spin...as for pulling things down TIGHT,....only needing half the effort's a plus, when one puts in long days."

I'd love a few pics of this. I'm not sure, I get it.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I see above!

Thanks!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

For indoor use the machinist/pipe vice combo with swivel is hard to beat. Handy like pockets on a shirt...
If your gonna be out in the elements, the tradesman, by over-all general design and with the sealed end will take a lot more abuse.

I generally tear down a brand new tool and "finish" it,....particularly something with lead screws and jaws,....drill and tap the swivel area with a coupla' 1/8" NPT holes,....keep em' plugged, cuz the zerks you'll be fitting every now and than to pump in some vienerschlider WILL get busted in use.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd love a few pics of this. I'm not sure, I get it.

just posted a pic of said wrinkle

GTC

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Casey

Looks are not everything
The material Harbor Freight and the cheap company's use verses the High Quality the the High end Machine company's use are WAY different
Vises are in some ways like mills and other precision machines.

Bridgeport is Bridport for a reason and Wilton is Wilton for a reason.
You pay more for the best.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (1eyedmule, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 160user, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,476
Posts18,471,571
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.