Hop To
K
Kindo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Good evening everyone,
So today I stumbled upon a great deal on a brand new pair of Leica GeoVid 10x42 bino/rangers and I just couldn't pass it up. I bought them new but no box or any accessories or paperwork. I registered them today and everything went fine. I was told there was a slight issue with the right eyepiece and there is a piece loose. The salesman said they are brand new and that the warranty should cover any issues. Is this true?

After buying I started looking online and Ive read some pretty poor examples of customer service online. Unfortunately, their CD lines are closed until a Monday and this is eating me up. Can anyone here help me or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance as you guys and gals have been very helpful in the past just from browsing all the posts here.

Thanks again
Kindo

GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Kindo, now that you've registered them you should be covered. Did you buy them from an authorized dealer? the warranty on the geovids if they are new should be 5 years.
Please keep us posted on how things go. Some folks have had bad CS experiences and others great ones....I hope Leica has gotten more consistent, in a good way.
Great binos by the way, I sure like mine.

K
Kindo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Hey Handwerk, thanks for the response. They "used to be" authorized dealer but dropped the line within a year. It was Gander Mountain if that helps at all. They used to carry the full Leica line but dropped them maybe a year or two ago.

Kindo

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Registering them online doesn't register them with Leica US. At least that's what I was told last summer by Leica US customer service. The rep said the online registration is through the international site, which isn't connected to Leica US. He said to be safe send in the warranty card, so I did.

I assume you can return them to GM depending what Leica tells you Monday, correct?

K
Kindo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Whttail, I can indeed return them, but I got them for a good enough deal that I don't even want to say, much less have to return them! I'm assuming I should be able to get a warranty card to submit. GM said they would call them for me on Monday though.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
Both the leica products that I registered on line show up on my "Leica customer account"when I went online to check.....

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Kindo
Whttail, I can indeed return them, but I got them for a good enough deal that I don't even want to say, much less have to return them! I'm assuming I should be able to get a warranty card to submit. GM said they would call them for me on Monday though.

I would call Leica customer service to double check and not rely on GM to do it.

Last edited by Oldelkhunter; 04/08/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by handwerk
Both the leica products that I registered on line show up on my "Leica customer account"when I went online to check.....

Mine does too. But below is the reply I got when I sent an email asking Leica to confirm my online registration and that I didn't need to send in the card.

Because the online registration through the international website is not connected to the Leica Service Department in the U.S., it is recommended that you also send Xerox copies of the warranty and purchase documents to the address below.

K
Kindo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Thanks again everyone for the input. Oldelkhunter, I will definitely be calling them over my lunch on Monday and already sent Leica USA an email explaining the situation. I'd like to think that I should be covered though. I'll have to browse the interwebs today to see if I can dig up a warranty card to print off and mail in with receipt as I'm surprised I didn't have to upload a copy of the receipt or anything.

Anyways, thanks again everyone!

Kindo

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
In the era of stiff competition from sub "alpha" glass, Leica would do well to be as accommodating as possible. But sometimes the bean counter department has tunnel vision.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good luck with Leica. My past experience tells me you will probably need it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Kindo

If you bought them cheap I wouldn't return them either. Having said that, Leica's CS is less than stellar.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
K
Kindo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Thanks Casey,
Maybe I'll look into calling a dealer and get their .02 or just wait until tomorrow and directly give them a jingle.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Generally, the on-line registration is Leica in Germany and not the USA subsidiary. Their USA warranty requires you to register your product with Leica USA for service in the USA. They along with other manufacturers do this to keep from servicing grey market product and discourage grey market sales.

Last edited by wesheltonj; 04/10/17.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My recent experience with Leica was indeed stellar customer service.

My new pup got my Leica CRF 1000r rangefinder when I left it on the coffee table overnight and chewed through the fhf gear cover and the eyepiece plastic on the rangefinder but not the glass. I had purchased them 4 years earlier from Cabelas and registered them as well. I sent a note with the damaged rangefinder explaining that the dog ate my rangefinder and was expecting a repair with a bill.

What I got was a brand new 1600r rangefinder in the mail with a no cost warranty coverage in less than 3 weeks. Easily the nicest surprise I have had this year. I thanked them via email and promised that I would share my experience.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by wesheltonj
Their USA warranty requires you to register your product with Leica USA for service in the USA. They along with other manufacturers do this to keep from servicing grey market product and discourage grey market sales.

I'd caveat that with "it depends upon your state". Many states have laws that prohibit companies from requiring registration of a product to get warranty coverage so companies can't pull the "we never received the registration card" crap and deny warranty coverage. Because of that most companies don't require registration anywhere, it's too hard to not run afoul of all the various state laws. Leica does seem to be notorious for crappy warranty service though so better to protect yourself by registering it.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I had absolutely no issues with Leica Support.

I had an ER 2.5-10x42 scope and it appeared a little bit of something flaked away on the inside of the scope and was on the inside objective lens. The scope was a couple years old at the time.

One phone call, one registration on the Web and I sent the scope in. It was returned good as new, no charge, in three weeks.

YMMV. I didn't have any issues.

Hunt Africa while you can
K
Kindo Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Thanks for the responses everyone. It sounds like I'm on the path of you last three who responded. I spoke with a manager at the retailer and they contacted Leica USA and they just told them to ship them in and they'll take care of them. I was also recently contacted by Bill from Leica so we should be good to go. I'll be sure and keep everyone posted on the response but as of now, my glass is en route to their New Jersey location for a little rehabilitation.

Thanks again for all the insight. This forum has been a wealth of information so far.

Kindo

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for following up.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

186 members (12344mag, 3333vl, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 160user, 2UP, 16 invisible), 1,599 guests, and 974 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,779
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.