Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I've been CLP cleaner lubricant user in the spray cans for a long time and love it as a lubricant and even use it somewhat as a barrel cleaner... it sure seems to take out powder fouLing nice. I always liked how it came out of the can in kind of a light foamy lubricant that looked kind of active....almost an active penetrating oil.
So the last time I needed to order some they didn't have any cans and I decided to try some in the squirt bottle.....Surprise..... the stuff is nothing like what comes out of the cans it is so thick it is almost like a gear oil..... has anybody else seen this in comparison? Just checking to make sure there isn't something faulty about the stuff in the squirtbottle. Seems like using this in the barrel would be like smearing maple syrup around!

GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I use Breakfree CLP & LP non-spray. Mine isn't that thick.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm a big Break-Free fan. What comes out of an aerosol can is a little different than what comes out of the bottle or pump sprayer.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
CLP gave me a bad taste in the mouth when in the Marines. It let M16 barrels rust, didn't clean that well, didn't remove copper fouling, and was not the best lube either.
CLP is a compromise, master of none solution to reduce costs and the logistics train.
Basically "I'm too lazy" or" too cheap" to use the proper products.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Alrighty then.....if i spot a can at a local hardware store I'll see if I can get somebody else to carry it through checkout for me...... I sure don't want to be labeled as cheap or lazy!

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I agree with Deflagrate for the same reasons, from my experiences in the Marines. It was a poor cleaner & didn't protect that well either. There's much better stuff available.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Ballistol.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Breakfree CLP applied liberally sure seems to work well around here. For everything.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
i use eezox for protectant. #9 for bore cleaner
if a cleaner is needed. otherwise dry patches
down the bore. too many people over clean the bore

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ranger99
i use eezox for protectant. #9 for bore cleaner
if a cleaner is needed. otherwise dry patches
down the bore. too many people over clean the bore

Include a little Patch out or Wipe out. Also use Ed's Red on revolver's that don't like even a hint of ammonia. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
The last time I cleaned the bores of my centerfire rifles I did a comparison. Cleaned the first rifle with Kroil till the patches came out clean, the second was cleaned with Break Free CLP also till the patches came out clean. After that cleaning I cleaned both with Bore Tech Eliminator, I couldn't believe the amount of crud the other two had failed to remove. Eliminator is rather costly compared to the others but does a superior job.

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
I used the clp simply to remove powder fouLing before using Wipeout... I have never ever thought of a penetrating oil as being a copper cleaner. I also used the Clp to clean out the wipe out after it had done its work... never had a problem with anything rusting using it but we are pretty rusT free up here in Wisconsin. A little clp on a shotgun patch removes fingerprints from barrel/receiver and is then used to wipe down the bolt. It also seems to work pretty good on my self propelled mowers Gear Drive system cleaning things up nicely and leaving them lubricated well enough to get through the summer.... I'm sure there are better and more specifically oriented products out there but it's always worked for me in these applications.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have an old bottle of CLP around that is used as a penetrating oil when I need a screw or old dovetail mounted sight loosened but use Montana Extreme products for rifle cleaning. I also use the CLP on a brush liberally lubing up the innards of my AR-15 but that's mostly just to use it up so I can go get something else.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,327
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.