Print Thread
Hop To
C
cervus Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Recently I had a new 24"custom stainless barrel fitted to my factory sako75 ss (still in original syn stock)in 260rem..It was originally a 308 with a 22" barrel. Now I have a rifle which with a set of older style sako mounts and 3-9 swarovski weighs about just over 9lb ......Not impressed with the weight which I want to reduce. I intend cutting barrel back to 22".Roughly how much weight would this remove???

Also want to know what would be best way to loose weight from barrel, either fluting or re-contouring???? Present barrel profile is an exact copy of original,just 2"longer..

Will fluting or re-contouring have any big effect on accuracy(im quite happy with consistent 1-1.25 groups),remembering that this is a hunting style rifle and will be used for bush and mountain style hunting

I know I could lighten setup with a new stock,but Im not really keen on that road at present due to cost.

At present bare rifle without scope an mounts weighs 7 an three quarter pounds.

Any comments from knowledgable people appreciated

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'd flute it if you intend to use the factory stock, or you may end up with a large gap in the barrel channel due to the different profile. Cutting it back 2" will help as well. I have 3 Sako- 75's the one in .257AI has a #4 fluted Lilja with McMillan stock on it and it weighs about 8.8 Lbs with scope. My calling rifle is getting a #3 contour barrel, but it too will be no lightweight. and my varmint rifle is getting a #6 barrel all wear McMillan stocks.
The Sako- 75 is just not a lightweight action, no matter how you slice it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Michael

Last edited by Mntngoat; 01/15/07.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife sells all my gear for what I said I paid for it.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I would caution you that recontouring the barrel and or fluting it could relieve stresses in the barrel and if it was shooting well now I would let sleeping dogs lie. Do you feel lucky?
JMHO

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Shortening the barrel by 2 inches will save you about 3 oz. I think recontouring is preferable to fluting. A reduction in diameter of around .060" will lose another 4 oz or so wnd the increase in gap on the forend (.030") will not be objectionable.
Any modern, stainless barrel by a quality maker will be essentially stress free and turning should create no problems. GD

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would caution you that recontouring the barrel and or fluting it could relieve stresses in the barrel and if it was shooting well now I would let sleeping dogs lie. Do you feel lucky?
JMHO

Ditto - I agree wholeheartedly. If it shoots this well, don't alter the barrel (recountour or flute). If you want to save a couple of ounces, cut the barrel 2-3".

IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
JMHO

Ditto - I agree wholeheartedly. If it shoots this well, don't alter the barrel (recountour or flute). If you want to save a couple of ounces, cut the barrel 2-3".

Good advice given here already, but another option (that I'd use) is to try to sell your newly installed barrel, then get a proper, light contour (or manfacture fluted) barrel installed. Any remaining barrel gap can be fixed. As other have stated the Sako action is heavy so you could also consider this your "heavy" 308 and have an excuse to go gun shopping............with trigger scale in hand.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Grey,
I have a similar situation. SAKO 75 that I had rebarreled. Started out as a Finnlight 7 Rem Mag. It was one of the first ones with the short barrel (22 7/16").
I was dumb enough to think SAKO had a short barreled 7 Mag that would shoot and they did with great accuracy and 7MM-08 velocity.
My "smith" and I worked out a deal and he put a magnum contour fluted Spencer SS 25" barrel on the action in the SAKO stock. Needless to say it is a little heavy.
I did some calculating (which should have been done before anything happened) and if I have him turn an additional .060 off the barrel and extend the fluting back toward the breach another 1" the gun will loose about 5 oz.
Fluting the bolt and drilling the bolt handle will loose about (I have been told) an ounce and three quarter. Bottom line putting this thing on a diet will save about 7oz.
I would like it better if it were a little lighter but have heard both arguments. Some say tool chatter over the flutes when turning makes the job tough to do and in addition there are no gaurantees regarding accuracy after the fact.
Gun shoots bug holes now and I may go the "just carry it heavy" route. It feels good but is just a little heavy. I haven't weighed it yet but with 50mm scope and all dressed out ready to hunt I would guess it will tip the scales at around 9lb 8 ozs.
Has anyone had any experience turning off more material or extending existing fluting and if so what were the results?? Shortening the barrel is not an option in this case.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugeman, 1936M71, 1badf350, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 61 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,618
Posts18,511,861
Members74,008
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.