-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tesla claims to have 400,000 orders. So they sell 400,000 cars to folks who can afford a $100k car, then what? Where's Tesla's market after that?

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Tesla claims to have 400,000 orders. So they sell 400,000 cars to folks who can afford a $100k car, then what? Where's Tesla's market after that?

Or what happens when other car makers start building electric cars for half the price?

"Hey jackass, get your government off my freedom."
MOLON LABE
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Tesla markets direct, without dealerships. In some states, car companies have managed to get laws passed outlawing direct sales of new cars. Tesla can't sell in those states.

They are in the throes of building a dealership twenty or so miles from here so Texas is not one. I see a bunch of them around here.

They have "showrooms" in those states where they can't sell direct. They can show the car, test drive the car, even service the car, but they place any order through a seller in another state.

Market valuation has nothing to do with past performance, and everything with future performance. The market thinks that Tesla will grow nearly exponentially, and GM won't.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
[Linked Image]

This.

It's cost them more to make the model S than the sales price. According to the former head of GM, cost do not drop as quickly as price, so he doesn't see how they can make money on the Model M either.

At some point this will be a momentous short opportunity. First time they miss a capital raise this stock could be cut in half.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Dutch
Originally Posted by EdM
Tesla markets direct, without dealerships. In some states, car companies have managed to get laws passed outlawing direct sales of new cars. Tesla can't sell in those states.

They are in the throes of building a dealership twenty or so miles from here so Texas is not one. I see a bunch of them around here.

They have "showrooms" in those states where they can't sell direct. They can show the car, test drive the car, even service the car, but they place any order through a seller in another state.

Market valuation has nothing to do with past performance, and everything with future performance. The market thinks that Tesla will grow nearly exponentially, and GM won't.

And sometimes the market is wrong.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

lol!

I call BS. Maybe 4,000 orders.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When auto giants like VW start to take electric cars seriously, they will be producing them on such a scale and price point,
that Tesla will just shrivel up and die.

People have tried to tell me how great Teslas future is, but they wont put their house on it... enough said.

VW will offer cheap mass market elec. cars the size of a Golf or Passat and also top-end
well established luxury market elec. cars, ...because VW GROUP owns- Audi, Porsche, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini.

The day Im ready to buy a proper elec. car, it wont be a Tesla.

Porsche-E, 300+ mile range , 15 minute charge.
http://www.businessinsider.com/pors...es-us-a-hint-of-what-will-come-in-2020-1

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
These electric cars might work OK in warmer areas of suburbia but not worth a bag of beans in colder rural areas.. Conversation piece, basically..

And bring yer wallet when (not if) it becomes time to change those batteries..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Distances in much of the West are just too great for electrics to be practical. They might be ok in cities but most car owners like to use them outside of town, too.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have not checked this year but last year there was no dealer close enough to where i live in North Dakota to even make it home with if i bought one. Overnight charge up would be needed. No thanks. ED K

IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I drove my BIL's P90D last January.

I do the long range driving thing fairly regularly, so it's not for me, never mind the price tag.

But man, that thing is a rocket ship. Nothing, but nothing I've ever been in came close. Including a nowhere near stock big block '69 Camaro. Then there was the Lambo Diablo 5.7 liter...

Supposedly they'll do 0-60 in 2.8 seconds. I don't know about that. I do know that 0-100 came in under 8 seconds by the stopwatch.

Oh, and the P100D is even faster: http://www.hybridcars.com/tesla-p100d-does-0-60-in-2-54-seconds-0-100-in-6-52/

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by EdM

Often mistaken, but never wrong.

The difference between GM and Tesla is the same as the difference between Sears and Amazon. One is shrinking and trying to hang on to their fading glory, while the other is changing the world around it.

GM is hanging on to it's old Glory. Tesla is changing the world around it. For example, Tesla will unveil it's Semi Truck in September. Where's GM's ?

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/247707-tesla-plans-sell-trucks-big-semis-pickups

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by EdM

Often mistaken, but never wrong.

The difference between GM and Tesla is the same as the difference between Sears and Amazon. One is shrinking and trying to hang on to their fading glory, while the other is changing the world around it.

GM is hanging on to it's old Glory. Tesla is changing the world around it. For example, Tesla will unveil it's Semi Truck in September. Where's GM's ?

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/247707-tesla-plans-sell-trucks-big-semis-pickups

Gm is manufacturing over 9 million vehicles and making money, while Tesla can't make the Model S for it's sales price.

Selling something for less then manufacturing cost is called a flawed business model.

There's no comparison between Jeff Bezos and Elan Musk. Musk is a dreamer. Bezos is an executor.

Musk dreams about changing the world. Bezos IS changing the world.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 04/14/17.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kududude

Always looking for a good investment, so I checked out Tesla.

The PE is -64.61.

Lotsa P and no E.

No thanks grin

kd

Like riding a bronc that ain't bucked yet. Risky business, if you ask me.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by kududude

Always looking for a good investment, so I checked out Tesla.

The PE is -64.61.

Lotsa P and no E.

No thanks grin

kd

Like riding a bronc that ain't bucked yet. Risky business, if you ask me.

At some point I intend to make a lot of money on Tesla....on the short side.

Short Amazon?

No way.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 04/14/17.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tesla will unveil it's Semi Truck in September.

Lets wait see how tesla trucks survive in the coming decades against motor tech giants like
Mercedes-Daimler and VW Groups M.A.N. and Scania electric trucks.

Scania are testing wireless inductive charging from under the roads surface. and also testing 'old-fashioned'
pantograph overhead wiring for mains power supply on highways, which also charges batteries for the times
when the truck needs to travel off the highway.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starman
Tesla will unveil it's Semi Truck in September.

Lets wait see how tesla trucks survive in the coming decades against motor tech giants like
Mercedes-Daimler and VW Groups M.A.N. and Scania electric trucks.

Scania are testing wireless inductive charging from under the roads surface. and also testing 'old-fashioned'
pantograph overhead wiring for mains power supply on highways, which also charges batteries for the times
when the truck needs to travel off the highway.

Freightliner (Mercedes) has been dicking around with hybrid vehicles, but they are just modified standard trucks. None of the big manufacturers of either passenger vehicles or class 8 vehicles have a full-up electric vehicle that makes customers happy.

For more than 10 years, Jeff Bezos' Amazon strategy of "get big first" was ridiculed. Sears was making money, and Amazon lost money, quarter after quarter after quarter. Amazon had that dreaded negative PE for years. Then, after 15 years of hard work, Amazon was "successful" and Bezos was an "instant success".

I'm not buying Tesla (I don't do individual stocks), but I would not bet against Elon Musk with my own money. There are too many extremely happy customers.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tesla also will debut a pickup truck within the next two years,
I wonder how that will work out for cold weather, back woods hunting. It'll likely be an urbanmobile.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I was surprised by the number of Tesla charge stations in Wyoming and Colorado.

Never saw an actual Tesla though.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tesla touts a nation wide fast charger network. I looked at their SUV last Fall. If purchased before the first of the year, the vehicle came with free charging station access. They claimed they'd begin charging a fee, which would be less than the cost of gasoline, in January. At the end of the day, the range was just too limited.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,934
Posts18,498,740
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.