Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Ken14 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
After lurking for a while...it seems that the TSX is almost worshipped here. Is it really that good? I have used NBT's since '86 on Texas Whitetails...and just wondeed if I need to make a change overnight.

Last edited by Ken14; 01/15/07.

It must feel so good to be right all the time.....
Click "Ignore"..get rid of the whore..
HR IC

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I'm interested in the answers to that as well. I'm a Nosler man. But will look at other bullets.

I didn't say it's your fault, I said I'm gonna blame you!!
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I like the accuracy that I experience with them. Have not hunted with them yet. Do a search and you will find a 1/2 day of reading material on the subject. Mostly positive but some negs also. There are no perfect bullets that work for every person on every animal in every circumstance at every shot angle including bad shots. So you should try them and find out if they fit your idea of a go-to bullet. Good luck.

Long

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're happy with the NBT then by all means stay with it.

If it has given you a reason to look around then I'd suggest you give the TSX a go.

IME what you will experience is the TSX will be very accurate, it will normally be a bit more meat friendly and lastly unless you break big bone the critters will take a lil dash.

Good luck to ya

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I think a better question would be, do they need to be that good?

They probably do give better penetration than other bullets. If I were to go after a big animal with a marginal gun, a Barnes bullet or something similar is what I would choose. For deer and the likes hunted with chamberings of .243 and above, I really don't they're necessary. There are other bullets that are just as accurate and much cheaper that will do the job.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am a recent "satisfied customer" of the TSX- the 140grain 270 variety shoots very well for me. I have only killed one animal(a mule deer) with it, but it was a "bang flop" so I am happy.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This hog and 6pt cull deer were shot in south TX last month with 140 grain TSX out of a 7mm SAUM. Knowing the traits of the bullet and the animals I was taking, I elected to shoot the hog through the ears at 100 yards and the deer received a shoulder shot at 60.

The TSX is a very accurate bullet but also very slow to expand. I've shot a few animals in the neck and lungs with the TSX and felt like it passed through before opening up to the maximum. Now, I will hit bones with TSXs on purpose with smaller animals.

[Linked Image] Exit was the hog's right ear.

[Linked Image] Small entrance hole on the skin, but..................

[Linked Image]
This was the NEAR shoulder, just after penetration. It was absolutely demolished, the deer didn't make a step. Neither did the hog and both quit kicking in less than 15 seconds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In most cases, I'm sticking with Partitions........have ALWAYS worked just fine for me when matched to the game.

Nothing against the TSX, just got lots of NP's and no incentive to throw them away and switch. Doesn't mean I won't try & test the TSX............

Also got a lot of Fail Safe's too and I view the TSX as just an "improved" version of the X & the FS.

JMHO

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
120's is tought to beat in Shamu and most everything 284..........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stick,

I was using the 120 TSX last season out of the Shamu and got to shoot some hogs and a small texas deer and found they did about the same thing as the 140. Passed through soft tissue very fast.

I'm staying with the 120 out of the 7mm-08 but went back to the 140 out of the Shamu.

I also put an 85 grain TSX from a 243 through a larger bodied Virginia buck last year and zipped right through him. He only went 20 yards on a lung shot but tried to get up after hitting the dirt and that's then I decided I preferred shoulder shots with this bullet on deer sized animals.

I've got a 25-284 that I haven't even put a stock on or shot yet. McMillan is telling me a 4.5 month wait right now but by next season, I'm going to test out some chest shots on hogs with 100 TSX to see what happens.

Last edited by 7mmSAUM; 01/15/07.
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
As a recent afficionado of the Barnes Club, I am very impressed by the accuracy potential the bullet has to offer. Remember, we pay Pounds to your Dollars for stuff over here, so allowing for the exchange rate, that's roughly double the price. I use a 165gr TSX in my Sako '06 for "Heavy Duty" applications, that is to say 200Kg plus (large stags and European elk), simply for insurance purposes. In my mind, it is ideal for larger framed species, as it punches clean through. Yet, I would not even consider it for our native deer, both on cost and humane grounds.

Whilst I am largely convinced on the argument for CE bullets, the TSX is bettered by the Hornady IB in this respect on beasts in the 50 - 150lb range. It is cheaper, almost as accurate and still does a number. However, the IB is no lightweight, as I took two elk (moose) cows in Estonia last year with the IB, both clean and efficient despatches. At the end of the day, the rifle will dictate which bullet you should shoot. If you really need that extra punch, do not hesitate to load the TSX. However, if your quarry is less impact resistant, stick with whatever hits the mark.

Regards,

Jacobite

Where men are men, as are the women and the sheep are nervous...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess for me it is a confidence factor. I have seen to many deer and elk take off and run and run and run after some great shots. Also if the shot is questionable then the TSX rules. Penetration is excellent. I am a fan of shoulder shots and breaking bones only to down animal quickly. This is where the TSX is king. JMO HAPPY HUNTING

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
No...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have been handloading for 30 years, longer if you include shotguns I began when 17 yrs old. I am sure the TSX has its place and to those who trust them I have no beef. But in my world, where deer are the largest quarry, and the fact I do not shoot 22 calibers at them, I can say I don`t need, want, or wish to use the TSX. I have a new favorite that fits my uses to a T and it is the Nosler Accubond. In your world where the deer in Texas have huge racks and small bodies. I think changing something that works is silly.

Proud Member of the AccuBond Society.......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No...

Sid-curious as to what you've taken for critters with the TSX in particular something bigger than deer?

Thx

Mark D

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've taken one moose and witnessed a few others.If you do your part it's usually bang flops with little meat damage.They are the new standard which BIG GAME BULLETS should be judged.imho of course.......

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Unless deer have suddenly gotten tougher then don't waste your time or money. The TSX is a fine bullet but it's 3-4 times the cost of a BT and deer just aren't that tough. Now if you were talking about elk or bears then that's a different story but I have never personally seen a well hit deer go more than a few yards using Ballistic Tips, Interlocks, Core Locks, Power Points or just about any other bullet out there.

The unarmed man is not only defenseless, he is also contemptible.
Niccolo Machiavelli
CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is it really that good?

No. It's better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where's MTN Hunter when we need him. There is just too much consensus.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,540 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,823
Posts18,516,764
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.