-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I had the inclination (and moolah) to hunt a big bear my weapon of choice would be...Phil Shoemaker (or his daughter or son).

Can't trump experience. I would just do every little thing exactly as they told me.

Oh, and I'd bring this.... smile .

[Linked Image]

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
There is a show on the telly this week called Destination TQ where the host shoots a Brown Bear on camera with a shiny brass action Henry in .30/30 using open sights.

1st shot dropped it at 65 yards and then 2 follow up shots ended it.

He also shot a large moose on the previous show. One shot and down like a stone.

I recommend you listen to Phil. You don't need to justify your purchases, take what you enjoy shooting.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But, but, this is America. The whole point is to justify our new purchases.... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I started guiding it seemed like the majority of hunters brought their older, well used rifles. Today I would say at least half bring new magnums purchased for the hunt.
After all, what better excuse is there to buy a new rifle ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 458Win
When I started guiding it seemed like the majority of hunters brought their older, well used rifles. Today I would say at least half bring new magnums purchased for the hunt.

Flip side?

Ima gonna drop a pile of money on a hunt far away and buy a new rifle I can barely shoot!
lol...

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by ironbender

Flip side?

Ima gonna drop a pile of money on a hunt far away and buy a new rifle I can barely shoot!
lol...

grin

Us Loonies never criticize someone for buying a new gun, just 'cause... wink

BUT, you gotta be able to shoot it.

I find it kinda scary, seeing some youngster out in the deer woods with a new "big box" high powered rifle, new camo duds, all excited, ready to rock and roll. Not a confidence builder...

I think I can understand how Phil and other veteran guides must feel when confronted with, although a more mature hunter, a nonetheless all too familiar scenario. And, don't ya know, "old ugly" is gonna get some action... shocked

DF

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by MojoHand
If I had the inclination (and moolah) to hunt a big bear my weapon of choice would be...Phil Shoemaker (or his daughter or son).

Can't trump experience. I would just do every little thing exactly as they told me.

[Linked Image]

That's not a "this", those are a "these"

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by ironbender

Flip side?

lol...

Us Loonies never criticize someone for buying a new gun, just 'cause... wink

BUT, you gotta be able to shoot it.
DF
Not criticizing someone (anyone) buying a new gun.
BTDT.

Just agreeing w/ Phil about a DSMFer that's never shot anything beyond say a 243 showing up w/ a 338WM for their bear hunt. Hey! The guy at Cabelas even bore sighted it for him!!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MikeL2

[Linked Image]

That's not a "this", those are a "these"

Anyone foolish enough to shoot one of those in a serious chambering deserves EVERY headache they get... ridiculous POS stock for anything recoiling at 270 levels and above...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I personally if hunting brown bear it would be with my 338 RUM and 250 gr Nosler Partitions or Barnes TSX

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

[Linked Image]

Great guns"...been watching a 300 WM in one of these in a local shop.....likely won't buy it but is priced really nice......with a nice Leupold scop....must resist.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A lot of truth there Bender,when I came to Alaska in 68 I bought a .338, I had a lot trigger time with various center fires ,my first shot out of my new .338 gave me a trophy,a hole in my lip and a tooth mark in the stock.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I guess it shows to go ya not one stock fits everyone. The largest cartridge I've shot in one of those was a .338Win w/250gr factory ammo. Honestly I didn't think it was that bad considering.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by EZEARL
I guess it shows to go ya not one stock fits everyone. The largest cartridge I've shot in one of those was a .338Win w/250gr factory ammo. Honestly I didn't think it was that bad considering.

Ditto, but I did install a Pachmayr decelerator pad which was a great improvement!

Good Shooting!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Sorry, but recoil has huge objective components and getting around those is not possible with boat paddles. The subjective components can be dealt with as you wish, but shooting the same rifle in Len Brownell's original stock as a comparison would show a vast improvement. And there is plenty of room to improve that.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
mjbgalt Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Agreed. Hardest kicker I ever shot was a boat paddle in 270. Shape and makeup of that stock just turned it into a hatchet

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a 300 WM that came in a boat paddle stock. I shot it a lot and killed quite a bit with it. I got a Mickey for it from Karnis and bedded it for it. For a little test I took both stocks out shooting and swapped them out while at the range. Huge difference in felt recoil. The boat paddle ain't been on it since...

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

Sorry, but recoil has huge objective components and getting around those is not possible with boat paddles. The subjective components can be dealt with as you wish, but shooting the same rifle in Len Brownell's original stock as a comparison would show a vast improvement. And there is plenty of room to improve that.

Guess it wasn't the stock then.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by The_Yetti
I have a 300 WM that came in a boat paddle stock. I shot it a lot and killed quite a bit with it. I got a Mickey for it from Karnis and bedded it for it. For a little test I took both stocks out shooting and swapped them out while at the range. Huge difference in felt recoil. The boat paddle ain't been on it since...

I can believe that.

Karnis redid the stock on my 98 Mauser a few yrs back. GOOD work and a GOOD person.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by The_Yetti

I can believe that.

Karnis redid the stock on my 98 Mauser a few yrs back. GOOD work and a GOOD person.

Very good person. Often wonder how he is doing and wish he was still on here.

Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,309 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,384
Posts18,488,634
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.