Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I just like bikes period.

I'd really like a KLR650 for beating around with.

Another bike I really want is a Triumph Tiger explorer XC

I really want one of those.

That Heritage Springer is definitely a keeper, especially with the family connection. I have a 2003 FXDL and 99 Honda VFR. The Harley is more nostalgic, which I like, but the Honda rides, handles and stops better and for me is a little more fun to ride day in and out. I commute some and like the capabilities of the Honda better in heavy traffic. Better braking, acceleration and handling to get out of a tight spot. Both are good reliable bikes in my experience but I'm thinking of trading the Harley for a BMW 1200 GS or RT for long-distance touring and commuting.

For those that are talking about the factory in India, I believe that is where Harley makes the new 750 Street model. I could be wrong but don't think Big Twins are made there.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
Don't hate HD or most of the folks that ride them.HD has a factory in Bawal India no hoax it really is there. HD markets All American awesomeness...yet no one can explain why metric bikes flourish? Could it be folks would rather pay 12K for metric than 18K for HD? Simply look at hat brands folks that ride daily as transportation not showpieces

I think Harley probably outsells all other brands in the US. I believe the Harley Street Glide is the most popular bike here right now.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I love my electric golf cart.

***added: It's a Yamaha, but the batteries were made in America.

Last edited by kingston; 04/16/17.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kingston
I love my electric golf cart.

***added: It's a Yamaha, but the batteries were made in America.

grin

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Wow, mention harley and you fire up quite a dispute, draw out all the haters and such. lol!

It is what it is.

I purchased a nice looking light weight harley jacket about 4-5 years back. I put it on in the store and then rode about 100 miles home. The jacket literally fell apart on my 100 mile ride home, hahahaha! Yeah I returned it and ordered a Fox river jacket, very high quality. I guess the jacket I got at the dealer was for posers that just need a neat jacket to wear at the bar or something.

Anyways...

Back to the original topic.

My uncle passed away a few years back. We were close, had a lot of fun together, lots of good quality family stuff.

When Dusty (my uncle) was a kid, he had a 40's model harley. He sold that bike when he was a kid. He was out of bikes for many years. Later on in the early 90's he got himself a new Sporty. Nice little bike, he rode it a lot on his work commute.

Then in around 96, he learned of the new Heritage Springer classic that would be released in 97. He was instantly in love, it reminded him of his 40's model Harley he had when he was young. He ordered one and patiently waited for the bike. He even got a big poster sized framed photo of the model in his color which had his serial number stamped on a plate for the artwork.

It's a stock carbed EVO with a set of fish tail slip on pipes.

Here's the bike.

[Linked Image]

That is me on the bike. The photo was taken on the day of Dusty's funeral. I rode the bike to the church where his funeral was held.

I rode the bike one other time between that funeral ride and today, it was having carb issues. That was a couple of years ago.

I know I'll have to pull the carb and give it a thorough cleaning. I'll change all fluids and filter, including brake fluid. The bike is in excellent condition with low miles. It just needs to be cleaned, detailed, serviced, and rode.

We are purchasing the bike from the family. I'm very excited and proud for the opportunity. I may try to bring the bike home next weekend.

Cool! I had a feeling you would end up with that bike.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

B
B
The India factory is to build bikes for non-US sale. No HD sold in the US is made off shore.

As to "market share" - Harley Davidson has 51% off all motorcycle sales over 600cc in the US. That's not cruiser sales but ALL sales regardless of style/brand. ADV, crotch rocket, nakeds, sport touring, bagger, super moto etc.

Over 1/2 are Harley Davidson.

MC sales are down from their peak before the recession but put it this way - Triumph or Ducati's best year in the US is about 15,000 units a year. Harley will sell that in 2-3 weeks. Literally.

Italian fuel injection was basically 1-2 years, HD scrapped it and it's Delphi now IIRC and has been for about 10 years.

Yep pre-07 twin cams had tentioner issues and I wish they'd tighten up their run out specs for flywheels but the twinkie is a good motor. The new M8 with a 120 kit on a stock bottom end is 150+ hp and torque from aftermarket guys that say there's still more to be had in the heads.

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 700LH
There are people that ride Harleys, and then there are people that wish they did, but make one excuse or another why they don't.

🙄

Rode a little in college

But I am a pickup man by nature

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Very nice Dave, good for you and uncle Dusty.

Amen!

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by brewhouse
The India factory is to build bikes for non-US sale. No HD sold in the US is made off shore.

As to "market share" - Harley Davidson has 51% off all motorcycle sales over 600cc in the US. That's not cruiser sales but ALL sales regardless of style/brand. ADV, crotch rocket, nakeds, sport touring, bagger, super moto etc.

Over 1/2 are Harley Davidson.

MC sales are down from their peak before the recession but put it this way - Triumph or Ducati's best year in the US is about 15,000 units a year. Harley will sell that in 2-3 weeks. Literally.

Italian fuel injection was basically 1-2 years, HD scrapped it and it's Delphi now IIRC and has been for about 10 years.

Yep pre-07 twin cams had tentioner issues and I wish they'd tighten up their run out specs for flywheels but the twinkie is a good motor. The new M8 with a 120 kit on a stock bottom end is 150+ hp and torque from aftermarket guys that say there's still more to be had in the heads.

Actually the India plant does produce the street 500 and street 750 that are sold in the US. They are assembled in Kansas city but all major components are India or Asian pacific in origin.

Nearly all Harley Davidsons,other than the street, sold overseas is a US produced bike no different than what would be sold to a US buyer. It might be assembled in India or Brazil. To avoid insane tariffs bikes are shipped in CKD form,complete knockdown, and assembled in those countries. Some bikes are shipped as complete units depending on model and which country they are going to.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Don't have but a few pics as my old laptop ate 'em grin

The timeslips said it had 8.90s in it but my screwdriver just wouldn't work right for some reason. LOL Putting a new Bandit Machine lock up in it in this pic.

[Linked Image]
how do i print screen

Do you bump rev limiter on the start line, then release with a trans brake or foot brake it?

Regardless, I bet it a double handful of fun, I was looking hard at getting into Nitro Harleys till one weekend morning Wifey came up and wrapped both her little hands around one of mine and ask "Please Don't Do That"

I took that as a voice of reason and sanity and stopped my pursuit of the subject! cry

Trump Won!
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've got two bikes. they are polar opposites but I wouldn't part with either.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

That was the exact picture that popped into my head as soon as I read the subject line.

The headlights only further confirmed it.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by toad
I've got two bikes. they are polar opposites but I wouldn't part with either.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Perfect!

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

My uncle passed away a few years back. We were close, had a lot of fun together, lots of good quality family stuff.

When Dusty (my uncle) was a kid, he had a 40's model harley. He sold that bike when he was a kid. He was out of bikes for many years. Later on in the early 90's he got himself a new Sporty. Nice little bike, he rode it a lot on his work commute.

Then in around 96, he learned of the new Heritage Springer classic that would be released in 97. He was instantly in love, it reminded him of his 40's model Harley he had when he was young. He ordered one and patiently waited for the bike. He even got a big poster sized framed photo of the model in his color which had his serial number stamped on a plate for the artwork.

It's a stock carbed EVO with a set of fish tail slip on pipes.

Here's the bike.

[Linked Image]

That is me on the bike. The photo was taken on the day of Dusty's funeral. I rode the bike to the church where his funeral was held.

I rode the bike one other time between that funeral ride and today, it was having carb issues. That was a couple of years ago.

I know I'll have to pull the carb and give it a thorough cleaning. I'll change all fluids and filter, including brake fluid. The bike is in excellent condition with low miles. It just needs to be cleaned, detailed, serviced, and rode.

We are purchasing the bike from the family. I'm very excited and proud for the opportunity. I may try to bring the bike home next weekend.

This makes me smile like heck!

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I just like bikes period.

I'd really like a KLR650 for beating around with.

Another bike I really want is a Triumph Tiger explorer XC

I really want one of those.

I've never owned bike in my life. A guy rode one of those to work last fall and I've been drooling ever since.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The newer ones ain't anything like the old bikes.. I've got over 22,000 on my '14 UC and there's never a spot of anything under that bike..

I did spend a bit to get new headers, pipes, intake and tuned last fall.. Made it a whole new machine. Torque hits at 2,000 rpm and the line on the graph goes literally straight north.. Took a couple weeks for the grin to leave my face.. smile

[Linked Image]

I'll be on it in about 5 weeks heading for the D.C. Memorial Day ride for veterans - one more 'bucket list' checkoff..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
All my joking about hating H-D aside, cause I don't, I just like bikes:

My brother still has his old '75 Sportster and an Indian Arrow.

[Linked Image]

This India Army Model Royal Enfield was fun if you never went over 50. The mechs at the Harley shop always came out and asked to kick start her. Some lady in a Nissan told the cops "I didn't see him" in a parking lot and parked her car on top of it. Luckily, I jumped clear as she smashed it.
[Linked Image]

Current toy. Nope, I don't have a Harley anymore. This is fun though. Probably my last bike before I get too crampy to lift my leg over. I will NEVER own a tricycle.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice bike, Dave. To me that looks like the perfect fairing.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Is that it? WTF? If this was a "which chainsaw?" thread we'd be at 50 pages already. lol

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Dave, you out ridin that baby today ?

whistle

We're getting about 2 feet of snow in the next 24hours !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

206 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 2ndwind, 26 invisible), 2,163 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,892
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.