Thinking 69 caliber.

Or an 8 bore....

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I think you oughta build one!
Auction description says .62 or 18 bore. Good writeup in the 2011 listing. Wonder what it actually sold for, auction estimate was 12.5-17.5K

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-249...lintlock-smoothbore-fowler-musket-41172/

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Oh, I'm thinking of building one. the 69 caliber was my thought about a proposed caliber. wink

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Would be interesting to see a slo-mo video of the ignition sequence and how/if the priming charge moves as the frizzen is opened. Not being a flintlock owner (yet) do they ignite okay if held upside down?

Speaking of underhammers, I was looking at a H&A .58 cal underhammer the other day. Asking price was $375. Seemed kinda steep to me, but I haven't seen many for sale lately.

Charter Member

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tmitch
Would be interesting to see a slo-mo video of the ignition sequence and how/if the priming charge moves as the frizzen is opened. Not being a flintlock owner (yet) do they ignite okay if held upside down?

Speaking of underhammers, I was looking at a H&A .58 cal underhammer the other day. Asking price was $375. Seemed kinda steep to me, but I haven't seen many for sale lately.

....I would think just as well or BETTER.

Lot easier to cover in the rain, too.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm reminded of the times we used to take coffee creamer and cast it into the air and hit it with a lighter. FOOSH!

We are talking split second lock times so not sure how much powder:air ratio we have with the charge falling once the frizzen does its job, but nothing ventured nothing gained....

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by tmitch

....I would think just as well or BETTER.

Lot easier to cover in the rain, too.

GTC

Probably right.

Love watching those super slo-mo videos of guns in action. Unbelievable all the flexing and moving that goes on. Don't think I've seen a flinter though. I'll hafta Google it

Charter Member

szihn

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Charter Member

szihn

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I always thought that was the test of a quality flinter. That is to hold it upside down and see how well it ignites the prime.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

F
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I always thought that was the test of a quality flinter. That is to hold it upside down and see how well it ignites the prime.

I agree 100%! And if anything, I find most production flinters having too much spring pressure to the frizzen. I'm trying to get Pletch (who does the slo-mo videos of flints igniting, for Muzzle Blasts magazine) to do some in-depth studies in this regard.

NICE looking under-hammer flinter BTW! Mongo like!

All of my MZL'drs will shoot into ONE ragged hole ALL day long ... it's just those darn 2nd & 3rd+ shots that tend to open up my groups!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, 2ndwind, 44automag, 673, 16 invisible), 1,518 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,486
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.