Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Since I didn't get the response I had hoped on Weatherby's accuracy (kind of, just didn't get the response I was hoping for)- I'm now thinking about ordering a Remington Custom Shop rifle- specifically the 700 North American SS. Has anyone bought a rifle from the custom shop lately? How was your experience? I know I could get a regular 700 and do a lot for the price of the custom shop rifles, but honestly, I just want to buy a rifle that I can mount a scope on and shoot (accurately). Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

Heal quickly and don't scar.
HR IC

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've fallen out of love with Remington over the years, there was a long time of 10 years or more that I wouldn't dream of having anything other than a 700.

I think now there's just better options. Winchesters, tikkas, montana rifle co are a few I'd buy long before another Remington.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The custom shop rifles most likely will shoot very well.Another option you might consider is having a custom barrel put on one of your rifles that may not be shooting as well as would would like it to.I had a rifle that I didn't shoot much and would rather it be a caliber that I'd use more.Rather than sell or buy another rifle that may not shoot as well as I'd like,I sent it off to Pac-Nor Barreling and had them turn my 270 into a 30-06.10 weeks later there and back,I now have a semi-custom rifle that will easily shoot groups 1/2" inch or less.I'm very pleased with it.When you figure in the cost of the ammo you go through trying to get a non-shooter to shoot well,you could very well be better off with a custom barrel that shoots very well with very little effort. http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/premium-barrels/

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Over the last decade or so I've bought nine used Custom Shop rifles off of G/broker or Gunsinternational ranging from a Model 7 Mannlicher 222 Rem to a 700 in 375 H&H. Only one, a 25/06, has been a challenge in getting less than an inch at 100 yds but with a little juggling of primers, etc, it's come around too.

For example I've been working with lighter bullets,125 B/Tip and A/bond, in a 30/06 with a beautiful stock using IMR 4166. Here are the last 4 shot groups in a series going up in 1/2 grain increments. 1.2, .85, 1.2, 0.7, 0.45, 0.85, 0.8, 1.05. In those 4 shot groups the best three were even better..0.45, 0.4, 0.45, 0.55, 0.25, 0.3, 0.5, 0.75.

I'm not that familiar with the model you mention but if you're patient and watch G/broker you can usually find some pretty good deals and you take advantage of the depreciation from the first owner. I don't see myself buying a new Custom Shop rifle because of the prices but I would have no qualms about buying another, used of course.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You could not give me one. I have had 1/2 dozen and they are all down the road

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Justin,

I'm a 700 fan but If I were spending nearly 2k on a factory custom with a B&C stock, I'd be choosing the Cooper Excalibur over the 700 North American.

You might consider finding a used 700 KS and you'll have a real stock on the rifle. smile

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
^^^^^^^
THis , they have priced themselves out of the market . The old ones with Mcmillan and or Brown stocks were light years ahead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
^^^^^^^
THis , they have priced themselves out of the market . The old ones with Mcmillan and or Brown stocks were light years ahead.

Look for an older one. They pop up here in the classifieds quite often. I don't own any now, but everyone I've owned or been involved with were very accurate. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
You could not give me one. I have had 1/2 dozen and they are all down the road

Bingo! just regular $40 rem barrels, with maybe a special taper, and theoretically they are bedded. I say that because I did have a KS that was not bedded. Shot like crap and when I returned it they got it back to me and it had a sliver of stock missing by the bolt. I asked them to make it right and they sprayed some paint over the missing part and it still shot like crap.
I did have an alaskan wilderness rifle that shot well with 210 berger VLd's abut that was about it.
Hardly a hunting bullet in my opinion. I did not want to use this bullet in my 300 RUM.

Was it worththe $$$? no not in my opinion.

What response did you not get or hoping for? I for one posted groups with every Bee I have. None were over MOA!

WBY accuracy thread

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IMO, you're better off getting a donor and building what you want.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For those prices you'd be WAY better off to have a good smith make you a custom Mauser or Winchester M70

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
About five years ago my buddy ordered two Remington custom shop rifles in .22-250, when he received them one barrel hadn't been crowned, he showed me it still had the bandsaw marks. He gave them a call, and they were astounded, offering many apologies. Shipped it back and in no time it was returned with the proper muzzle crown. Shot fine afterwards.

Crap happens with the best of them.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And I bet they all come with that sweet X-Mark trigger...

OOOOo, la la...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got to agree with a lot of what has already been posted. I loved Remington's and still have a soft spot in my heart for the older ones, but I've listed my last two on the Classifieds for sale; one sold yesterday and the KS Mountain Rifle is still available.

I'm like the OP, I want to pull the rifle out of the box, mount a scope, shoot and enjoy the little clover leafs, however this is not the case with Big Green anymore. In order to get what I want, it's a new trigger, bedding and a new stock....got tired of investing time and money to accomplish what a Tikka or Sako will do straight off the assembly line.

Don't know what you're looking for, but here is the last one I will ever own. This one actually shoots; fellow Fire member Boliep can vouch for its accuracy. I sold it to him and bought it back. Would like to keep it, but I don't need a magnum.

Remington KS Mountain Rifle

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My buddy Mike in PA ordered one thru the custom shop in 1988 , 280 rem. It took 4 months to make it and it will probably end up in his casket when they bury him. It has killed a chitt ton of game.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Send a 700, new or used, to Hill Country Rifles for their accuracy treatment. Doub't you'll be sorry wink

Geo

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe I heard the Remington Custom shop has been shut down and their custom work is now being done by Montana Rifles? Going by memory here, which is always an iffy thing.

Well, it turns out after a bit of research I was mistaken as were the people I relied on for the information in the first place. IF it's on the internet it's supposed to be true, isn't it?

Here is some interesting reading on the Remington custom shop which is now located in Sturgis, ND- the old Dakota plant.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/remingto...0-the-new-face-of-remington-custom-shop/

Bob

Last edited by Sheister; 04/19/17.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have two Remington Custom Shop rifles.

The first is a M7MS Mannlicher in .257 Roberts, topped with a VX3 2.5-8x36. It shoots in the 1/2"-3/4" range with most bullets. It's my go to Texas rifle and it's the first "higher end" rifle I purchased. It cost me $1250 delivered, new. It loves 117 SGK's and Pro Hunters at 2,850 fps.

The second is an M7 AWR in 7mm SAUM. Black Mickey stock, topped with a 2.5-8x36 VX3, it weighs 7#, 1oz and shoots in the 1/2-3/4" range as well with a 140 AB at 3,050 fps. I paid $1,400 for this one and it's my favorite foul weather tool.

For $1200-1400 I think the Custom Shop rifles are priced well. For retail $3,000 rates? No, not at all.

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Teeder
IMO, you're better off getting a donor and building what you want.

This is the route I'd take. It will shoot as well as a Remmy custom job in all likelihood and will probably be cheaper.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (1_deuce, 444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 10 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.