Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mjbgalt Online Content OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Bought one from Whittaker after doing some research online and deciding 200 bucks was worth testing one in the hopes it was really as good as others say.

No matter what it says on the side, every firearm is a sample of one. I have had ones that had problems with some famous names on them, and we all know about guns like Stevens 200, bersa 380, and others that perform way above their msrp.

At first glance this thing is well done. Stippling and grip shape and size are very comfortable and looking at it you'd not know if it was 199 or 499. First test passed. Next is taking it apart and checking out the tooling and finish inside. Then a test fire. Then a 200 round marathon to make damn sure it won't puke out on me if I need it in an emergency

GB1

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 3 of them... Happy so far. Have not had any issues with them.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm looking for one in stainless, myself. It is to be my EDC. All the ones I can find locally, are blued. (Several clerks didn't even know it came in stainless.)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one stainless and two blued. When I bought them, Taurus had a $50 rebate on them

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I bought one a few months ago. It was oiled VERY heavy when I pulled it out of the box. I took it apart and wiped everything down. Have put 340 rounds through it, various ammos, and it has worked perfectly so far. I have not shot any hollow point or self defense type rounds yet. Just ball and/or FMJ target type ammo.

IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I had one at my FFL that I ordered and my FFL was taking an enhanced class that weekend. He was using an S&W Shield and the guy next to him had the PT111 g2. They got to talking and the guy loved the Taurus. Lighter, carried more ammo, and shot better than the Shield. Monday if asked me if he could keep the Taurus and pay me what I paid for it. He's done me favors, I said sure. He doesn't charge me for paperwork for sending out handguns. That's pretty nice. Surprised me for sure.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Took it to the range today and wife and I put two boxes of Remington cheapo ammo thru it. No issues. Not the most accurate but at 15 feet we could put a mag into a tennis ball size area. Which is fine for what the gun is meant to do.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I had one at my FFL that I ordered and my FFL was taking an enhanced class that weekend. He was using an S&W Shield and the guy next to him had the PT111 g2. They got to talking and the guy loved the Taurus. Lighter, carried more ammo, and shot better than the Shield. Monday if asked me if he could keep the Taurus and pay me what I paid for it. He's done me favors, I said sure. He doesn't charge me for paperwork for sending out handguns. That's pretty nice. Surprised me for sure.

Good report, jack. They are stupid popular down here.

I was in one of my favorite pawn shop haunts a few months back and a young vet back from the sandbox was dying to get his hands on one. Owner cut him a sweet deal.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
my daughter maybe wants a handgun for her place in the city.......how do ya all think the pt111 would work out for someone with small hands and short fingers...?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I would have your daughter look at A PT-738 or a S& W Bodyguard. They are .380's and not 9MM. If she's stuck on 9MM's look at the SCCY CPX-1 or 2. All reasonably priced.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Not the most accurate but at 15 feet we could put a mag into a tennis ball size area. Which is fine for what the gun is meant to do.

A tennis ball is what, 2 1/2 inches across?

So you have a 2.5" gun at 15 feet. A 5" gun at 30 feet. Were you shooting from a rest to determine what the gun is capable of, or were you shooting off-hand?

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Off hand. But I can usually put 38s from our revolver into an inch or so at the same distance single action.

To answer the question about small hands, my wife has small hands with a short reach to the trigger and it fits her well

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
We also were not trying to shoot the bull out, mostly just testing the thing and having fun

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Waders I don't think it's really that inaccurate, but first time I have shot it and it does have a trigger that takes getting used to...it breaks almost as it stops rearward movement in the guard.

All in all a heck of a nice gun for the price and I would not be unhappy at twice the price.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I finally found a brick and mortar that can order one in for me (on sale, even smile )in stainless. (Sweat proof) Gander Mountain of all places. No one else could, or even knew it was available in stainless. Should have it some time next week.

Edit: that long travel before breaking, is to recock the striker, if you need the double strike due to a hard primer.

Last edited by kellory; 04/16/17.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Thumb safety??

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Thumb safety??

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=890&category=Pistol

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a Taurus PT111 that I've had for probably 10 years or so. I know it's not the gen 2 that's being talked about here, and I know that the reputation on mine is "iffy", but when I was carrying it and shooting it, I never had a problem. I put it in the safe after reading some bad reviews and bought a Glock.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Taurus has a recall on the G1 Models. Just call them, and they will ask for your serial number and let you know if you are affected. The issue was with the gun firing sometimes when dropped.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Mine shoots 8-10" low with everything. Hittin' the road, soon.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (1minute, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 63 invisible), 2,433 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,155
Posts18,484,308
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.