Page 53 of 63 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 62 63
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
No telling how many are out there, they are constantly being found.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've wondered about the same thing. Mention finding an arrowhead and somebody will tell you about the 2 or 3 boxes of arrowheads they have at home under the bed.

You have to figure though that the indigenous people made them for thousands of years, used them, lost them, broke them, then made more and they don't rot or deteriorate. They have to be somewhere...

From what I've seen Huntsman has most of them.

Last edited by Mathsr; 04/19/17.

Harry
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Mathsr
I've wondered about the same thing. Mention finding an arrowhead and somebody will tell you about the 2 or 3 boxes of arrowheads they have at home under the bed.

You have to figure though that the indigenous people made them for thousands of years, used them, lost them, broke them, then made more and they don't rot or deteriorate. They have to be somewhere...

From what I've seen Huntsman has most of them.
I've posted tons of sheitt on here, but this thread gets bumped so bad to the back in lieu of Wabi-so-in-so wanting to know what everyone's favorite color is or do you like ketchup or mustard threads.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Remember finding a few as kids in Nebraska, but haven't seen one or seen anybody find one in decades.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
ya gotta look down......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some places have them and some don't. Most places don't from my experience. mad I think slumlord and Huntsman22 are both in an area that had a lot of activity for a long time.

A guy I know has a spot that he can always find flint chips, most times find a broken point and every now and then after a good rain you might find a whole point. He found a very nice Savannah River point there a month ago. It is on a hill next to a creek drain and if you go 30 yards from the center of the area in any direction there is nothing. We have found a bunch of pottery and found points and flint down to nearly 4 feet when we decided to just dig, to see what was there. Thinking is that this might have been a campsite that was used over the years and the points were being made there.

I love seeing these points on this thread and especially the way slumlord shows them before he picks them up. I'd never be able to do that. I'd have to grab it to see if it was whole.

The size differences in the points I have seen found in SE Georgia vs the points Huntsman22 is interesting too. Just seldom see a very small point around here yet in Colorado they seem to be fairly common finds.

Keep them coming guys!

Harry
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mathsr: Your mention of "having to grab" the point right away once spotted reminds me of a quick story of mine from a while back.
I was Hunting Prairie Dogs on a remote ranch in SE Montana and the ranch owner was friendly to me on my yearly visits.
One year he told me of a remote and "Virgin" Dogtown with no ranch roads leading to it.
He gave me the directions and where to park and how far to walk (over a mile) and in which direction.
Next morning I parked and put on my back pack (full of ammo, water, optics, tripod, sand bag and a snack) and grabbed a Rifle for each hand.
It was near the end of my Safari and I was down to two Rifles that I still had ammo for - and sadly they were two Remington 40XB's of the old style with NO sling swivel attachment possibilities.
Oh well I needed the exercise - off I go and my arms got long and tired REAL quick, carrying those heavy Rifles in my hands all the way to this wonderful Dogtown.
I shot the guns dirty and thoroughly enjoyed the long morning Hunt - dreading heading back as now its getting hot.
I pack up and head back and was sweating and tired when I come up out of a dry creek bed and in front of me is an ant hill and on the rim of the cleared off dirt surrounding it is a PERFECT arrowhead laying there shining in the sun!
Not thinking I literally drop both 40X's from my hands onto the scruff ground and jumped ahead onto my knees and latched onto that point - before anyone else could come along and snatch it up from in front of me!
How dumb was that?
I had not seen another soul all that morning and had only seen the rancher in the past three days!
Anyway I soon came to my senses, put the point in my velcro closing shirt pocket and went to inspect the damage I had foolishly inflicted on my beloved Remington Rifles!
Luckily they had landed on cheat grass and soft gumbo dirt there at the crest of that creek bed.
I sometimes am a creature of my impulses I guess.
That perfect point has a place of honor in one of my arrowhead display frames.
And I still check those two Remington 40X's for "damage" every time I take them out for a Varmint Safari.
Lesson learned.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Varmint guy that would have been me! I'd have done the same thing. I have a twin brother that ha the same interests as me. It doesn't matter if it is an arrowhead lying in a field or a Marlin 336 T at a gun show, between us is isn't who saw it first, it is who has his hands on it first....If I want something at a gun show or knife show, I never lay it down. cool

I've never found anything on an ant hill, but the other day I got excited about finding a chip of flint on a gopher turtle mound in an area where we have never seen any flint before. It was almost as good as finding an arrowhead. And I grabbed it even though my brother was 10 miles away. smirk

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Did the same one day with my 7 x 50 binos. Reached a prime vantage point on a rim and began glassing for elk. Suddenly, there they were and well within range. I instantly dropped the binos only to hear them tumbling into rocks about 15 ft below. Seems I had removed the strap from my neck.

I was too rattled to stick with the elk, and climbed down to retrieve the glass. Scratched up exterior, but still in use today.

1Minute
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What would be cool is if some of the guys would snap a wide pic of the area they are finding them. It would be really interesting for the novice such as I to maybe pick up a tip or two about the areas to look.

Buy once, cry once.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
What would be cool is if some of the guys would snap a wide pic of the area they are finding them. It would be really interesting for the novice such as I to maybe pick up a tip or two about the areas to look.

That's like asking someone how to find morel mushrooms. They usually tell you to look in the woods.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don't want their secret spots...heck I'll never hunt arrow heads in Montana.
I just have a lot of Rivers and creeks around me but I have never seen one arrowhead hunter looking there. Around here, people only look in plowed fields. I am in the heart of Indian Territory...just looking for pointers.

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Deerhunter, where I have had the most luck is on a hill or raised section of land that is near a river or drain. Like really close to a water source. If it is a likely place that someone might camp today, because it is well drained (won't hold water and get muddy if it rains) and close to water, it has probably been a good place to camp for a long time. Spend a little time looking around. It helps if it is being farmed (think bare dirt). Looking around after a field has been harrowed and it has just rained can really turn them up.

I was turkey hunting last year as a guest on another person's land. I set up in an area at the edge of a field. While I was waiting I noticed the lay of the land, with a hard wood bottom falling off steeply to a small creek. The land at the top of the rise was sandy and relatively level. I thought perfect place for arrowheads. Five feet in front of me in the rut of a road along the edge of the field was the back half of an arrowhead. I found two more on the way to the next spot. Perfect place and I don't have permission to go back and hunt arrowheads, but I'm going to try and get it.

Huntsman22 pretty much summed it up when he said look down. I do when I'm hunting and have found points in some unexpected places. If I'm walking around the edge of a field on a dove hunt or going to a deer stand, I'm looking. If I'm scouting for deer season and walking a firebreak, I'm looking. Sometimes I find something, sometimes I don't.

Harry
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
[Linked Image]
Haw river blade, lost lake, old chit...

Last edited by renegade50; 04/19/17.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Renegade50 picked up this one yesterday
We both had a fair day of finds. Not bad for a 3 hour outing.

I guess we've become snobs, we don't bother picking up flakes and debitage for posting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was gonna say, Wow, they both look just alike...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Between this site, photoobucket and trying to post it all with a phone..the wonkiness is beyond frustrating. Especially with all the viruses and garbage popups on this forum.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[Linked Image]

Page 53 of 63 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 69 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,701
Posts18,513,776
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.