-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've read Forstchen, A. American, and others. Interesting books, but I don't buy into all their premises.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by johnw
I've read Forstchen, A. American, and others. Interesting books, but I don't buy into all their premises.

Books don't get sold with less than catastrophic predictions.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Tin foil hard hats on sale at h f $3.99 save dollars over time, and a lot easier than folding all that foil paper!!!!!!!None of that stupid $hit matters ,all you have to do is stick your head between your legs and kiss your a$$ goodbye!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I believe he was a military historian and based his books on a commission report on this topic that came out simultaneously with the 9/11 commission report and subsequently was buried from the public consciousness due to that horrific attack and public attention.

That report however pointed out the general serious vulnerability of our electrical grid infrastructure and painted a fairly bleak picture of the potential effect of such an attack.

Forstchen, may have taken some literary license but in scanning the report (its online) perhaps not. Anyway, he tells a story well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
On tv yesterday Ron Paul said we dont need to do anything. He said NK cant even turn their lights on. On Tucker.

Sucker is unreal.

Maybe true but this regime seems to be (or that is the perception) that they don't care about lights, food, or conveniences for the people -- about anything really but acquiring these kinds of weapons.

Rationality is not a characteristic of that leadership.

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Agreed.

He fears destruction and devotes all he can to prevent that, to the point of destroying those who could destroy him, including his late close relative.

Last edited by jaguartx; 04/25/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 325Abn

He has an older Subaru Outback and has "EMP hardened" it by constructing and installing a small Faraday cage in/around the engine compartment. I suspect he had something on the inside of the car as well, though i never looked inside.

A Faraday cage only works when grounded. So, if he's out and about when the EMP hits, he's screwed just like everyone else.

Parked in the garage and connected to a grounding rod, maybe OK.

BTW, DoD did lots of tests relative to EMPs. If one does hit, disconnect your battery, reconnect and retry your vehicle. Chances are it'll start.

Or so I'm told.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

I believe he was a military historian and based his books on a commission report on this topic that came out simultaneously with the 9/11 commission report and subsequently was buried from the public consciousness due to that horrific attack and public attention.

That report however pointed out the general serious vulnerability of our electrical grid infrastructure and painted a fairly bleak picture of the potential effect of such an attack.

Forstchen, may have taken some literary license but in scanning the report (its online) perhaps not. Anyway, he tells a story well.

George: there is extensive literature our there on the net regarding the frailty of our grid. It is extremely vulnerable to many other ways to sabotage it and nothing as drastic as a nuclear initiated EMP. Basically, hit a few electrical hubs/grids around the country that are very unprotected and the cascading effect will ensure complete shutdown.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I ran into this article on how to prepare your car for and EMP and why you shouldn't bother.
We tested a sample of 37 cars in an EMP simulation laboratory, with automobile vintages ranging from 1986 through 2002. Automobiles of these vintages include extensive electronics and represent a significant fraction of automobiles on the road today. The testing was conducted by exposing running and nonrunning automobiles to sequentially increasing EMP field intensities. If anomalous response (either temporary or permanent) was observed, the testing of that particular automobile was stopped. If no anomalous response was observed, the testing was continued up to the field intensity limits of the simulation capability (approximately 50 kV/m).

Automobiles were subjected to EMP environments under both engine turned off and engine turned on conditions. No effects were subsequently observed in those automobiles that were not turned on during EMP exposure. The most serious effect observed on running automobiles was that the motors in three cars stopped at field strengths of approximately 30 kV/m or above. In an actual EMP exposure, these vehicles would glide to a stop and require the driver to restart them. Electronics in the dashboard of one automobile were damaged and required repair. Other effects were relatively . Twenty-five automobiles exhibited malfunctions that could be considered only a nuisance (e.g., blinking dashboard lights) and did not require driver intervention to correct. Eight of the 37 cars tested did not exhibit any anomalous response.

Based on these test results, we expect few automobile effects at EMP field levels below 25 kV/m. Approximately 10 percent or more of the automobiles exposed to higher field levels may experience serious EMP effects, including engine stall, that require driver intervention to correct. We further expect that at least two out of three automobiles on the road will manifest some nuisance response at these higher field levels. The serious malfunctions could trigger car crashes on U.S. highways; the nuisance malfunctions could exacerbate this condition. The ultimate result of automobile EMP exposure could be triggered crashes that damage many more vehicles than are damaged by the EMP, the consequent loss of life, and multiple injuries.

Jayco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by David_Walter
A Faraday cage only works when grounded. So, if he's out and about when the EMP hits, he's screwed just like everyone else.

Parked in the garage and connected to a grounding rod, maybe OK.

BTW, DoD did lots of tests relative to EMPs. If one does hit, disconnect your battery, reconnect and retry your vehicle. Chances are it'll start.

Or so I'm told.

That makes perfect sense to me (though i am profoundly ignorant of the physics related to electrical "things").

I dunno what all or how he had everything set up, but now that you mention it, I believe he kept the battery disconnected.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Really, its not cheap, but building a room or an additional garage with a faraday cage would be the right solution.

Have to put some thought into which direction the pulse would come from.

In the book, it came from over the midwest (east from my location), but who wouldn't hit California or Seattle given the chance (southwest and west from my location).

Maybe an underground bunker IS the solution?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
"For those that are "well prepared", how do you deal with the rifle-equipped bad guy at the tree line who will turn your head into a pink cloud when you walk to your wood pile? Everything you've amassed is now his."

Good point.
I am one of the well prepared people, high on a mountain in North Carolina with lots of food, water, firewood, and guns.
You can't see my house from the road, or from any other house. I am 3/4 miles up a private gravel road, there are 4 other houses on this road.

In the event that the S hits the F we would certainly have some bad guys out there who would want to kill people and take their stuff.
Of the other four houses up on my mountain, I doubt that any of them have anything put away for a disaster.
Three of those houses are uninhabited and people just come up there for holidays etc.
My brother lives in the other house with his son.

I know my brother has done nothing to prepare.
So I would probably get my brother and his son to move in at my place. That way we would have 3 men and 2 females. Everybody would have a gun, or two.

First, the bad guy has to figure out that my house even exists. Then, he has to figure out that we have stuff that he wants.
Then, as you say, he has to hide in the woods and blow someone's head off.
Well and good, but he still has to kill 4 other people.

This is reason number one why I have told nobody about my stockpiles, not even my brother. Nobody knows I got anything and hopefully they will leave me alone.

If a couple of bad ass guys figure out what a honey hole my house is, they hide in the woods and stage a proper ambush and kill my brother and me at once, then they would take the place. Not too likely to happen, but it could happen.

I have taken the reasonable steps to set myself up to give it a good fight. If I get killed 30 days after the EMP, well tough luck. At least I would get my name in the paper.

Oops, forget that, there would be no newspapers.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

George: there is extensive literature our there on the net regarding the frailty of our grid. It is extremely vulnerable to many other ways to sabotage it and nothing as drastic as a nuclear initiated EMP. Basically, hit a few electrical hubs/grids around the country that are very unprotected and the cascading effect will ensure complete shutdown.

Jorge, I have thought of our national electronic infrastructure to be symbolized by that in the movie National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation if you know what I mean.

Last edited by George_De_Vries_3rd; 04/26/17.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Along with Forstchen's book, I just finished The Forsaken Nation by Maloof which covers the same topic but rather covers scenarios, commission reports and recommendations and the political and economic lack of will to decrease our vulnerability.. or do much of anything about it. Ostriches have nothing on some of our agencies.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Really, its not cheap, but building a room or an additional garage with a faraday cage would be the right solution.

In the book, it came from over the midwest (east from my location), but who wouldn't hit California or Seattle given the chance (southwest and west from my location).

You should probably buy some kerosene and a mule. Get used to wiping your ass with a cob or old newspaper. Cob is the more green solution and doesn't have Chinese ink to give you the ass cancer.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I don't know much about this, but I'm assuming that you would not be able to run electricity to such a room because the EMP pulse would travel through electrical lines?

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"You should probably buy some kerosene and a mule."

And I'd walk behind, bustin' them clods with ma own bare feet!

That mule, Ol' Rivers,,,,,,,,, and me!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
"You should probably buy some kerosene and a mule."

And I'd walk behind, bustin' them clods with ma own bare feet!

That mule, Ol' Rivers,,,,,,,,, and me!

heheh If the lights go off everybody best stock up on the Hai Karate and Chanel #5 'cause everybody's gonna stink like Watts on Welfare Check Day.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"Ode to 3rd World" will be the new moniker. Odor may be the least of anybody's concern.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Surviving such a scenario might be the least favorable option

For all the pie in the sky versions we seem to be set up pretty well just by accident

It's just how we recreate living off the grid

But lord I'd miss the grocery store, love that place and all the variety of good fresh foods available

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 270cowboy, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 48 invisible), 2,552 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,712
Posts18,475,420
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.