Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Just can't make this [bleep] up...

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archiv...repealing-obamacare-might-be-illegal.php

POSTED ON APRIL 26, 2017 BY PAUL MIRENGOFF IN INTERNATIONAL LAW, OBAMACARE, UNITED NATIONS
U.N. WARNS THAT REPEALING OBAMACARE MAY BE ILLEGAL
Dana Milbank reports, with glee, that the United Nations “has contacted the Trump administration as part of an investigation into whether repealing [Obamacare] without an adequate substitute for the millions who would lose health coverage would be a violation of several international conventions that bind the United States.” The warning comes from the Office of the U.N. High Commissioner on Human Rights in Geneva.

The U.N. Human Rights Commission (now known as the Human Rights Council) purports to “uphold the highest standards in the promotion and protection of human rights,“ Its members include China, Cuba, Iraq, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, and Venezuela.

The “High Commissioner’s” office warning that Obamacare repeal/replacement might be illegal comes in a letter to the Trump administration. The Commissioner asked that the letter be shared with majority and minority leadership in both chambers of Congress. It also proposed that “the wider public should be alerted to the potential implications of the above-mentioned allegations.” According to Milbank, the White House has not shared the letter with Congress, much less “alerted the wider public.”

The public should be alerted, and alarmed, that the U.N. is attempting to dictate our domestic policy. The “High Commissioner’s” letter shows that signing broadly worded international agreements allows foreign countries, including some of the world’s worst dictatorship, to accuse us of violating the law. We should sign no more of them.

By way of illustration, one of the provisions the U.N. relies on in this case is Article 5(e) of the International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination, ratified by the U.S. in 1994. It calls on states to “guarantee the right of everyone” to, among other things, “public health, medical care, social security and social services” without regard to race or color.

It is not far-fetched to imagine lawsuits in U.S. courts based on claims that the government is violating this kind of “obligation” to which America agreed. How far-fetched is it to imagine left-liberal judges seriously entertaining such lawsuits? Not very, in my view.

In reality, pre-Obamacare America offered health care to everyone without regard to race or color. It provided poor Americans with free health care via Medicaid. Millions of other Americans received health insurance from their employer. The rest (except those with pre-existing conditions, a matter of real concern) were free to purchase health insurance, if they so desired. The market offered plans that were not expensive — my wife had one — at least not compared to the ones Americans are required to purchase under the Obamacare regime.

No one was denied health insurance due to race or color. Nor, to my knowledge, was anyone denied service — e.g. at an emergency room — on that basis.

If the pre-Obamacare system violated international law, it doesn’t take a creative lawyer to argue that, even with Obamacare, we remain in violation. Millions of Americans are still without health insurance.

In essence, Obamacare provided new incentives to purchase health insurance. One incentive is the penalty (called a “tax”) by the Supreme Court on those who don’t purchase it. Another is the subsidy offered to people of modest means.

But for millions of Americans, these incentives have proven inadequate to induce the purchase of insurance. Thus, the U.N. (were it politically impartial) could easily find that the U.S. remains out of compliance with international law. It could insist that the U.S. sweeten the pot with larger subsidies. It could insist that the U.S. adopt the single-payer system that the American left yearns for.

If Obamacare is ever repealed, it will be replaced. There may well be government-created incentives to buy health insurance (as was the case with Ryan’s proposal), but they will probably less enticing (e.g., tax credits or deductions).

The U.N., through its “investigation,” is claiming the right to evaluate Obamacare replacement packages. In effect, it asserts the right to assess whether the replacement incentives measure up to the Obamacare incentives (inadequate though these are).

The U.N.’s infringement on our democracy is obvious.

It’s not surprising that elites in the rest of the world want to dictate to America. It’s not surprising that many of the left want such leftist elites to dictate to us. What’s surprising is that America has gone as far as it has to provide the tools with which claims like those being made by these elite, via bureaucrats in Geneva, can be asserted with a straight face.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Send the UN a statement that they are not the boss of us.
This crap, geez...time to put on the big boy pants.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The UN does not run this country, nor does it draft documents. That text is simply Paul Mirengoff's opinion.

1Minute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
tell the un to go f uc k themselves

.... like tears in the rain
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The time has passed.

Isolationism is looking/sounding better every day.

Tell the Norks,Iran, Russia and ISIS that we are done F'ing with all of you. As long as your actions don't affect anything within our borders, have at it. We'll be over here watching.

To the rest....a great big ol' hearty GFY

FJB & FJT
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
What do want to bet that Obama's behind this. He has lots of friends in the UN.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Fuqk the UN, I'ts high time we put them to rest.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 1minute
The UN does not run this country, nor does it draft documents. That text is simply Paul Mirengoff's opinion.

Yeah, and his opinion is his attempt to denigrate our POTUS efforts to MAGA, as the UN continues to push its hope for world domination.
Evil pursuits deserve a smack down response.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 12344mag

It's high time to bulldoze that POS building into the East River or have Trump corp turn it into a condo.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Evidently the UN members must be fearful their ACA deductibles and premiums will go up.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
What do want to bet that Obama's behind this. He has lots of friends in the UN.

It's a vast left wing conspiracy . He wants to make Trumps ride bumpy since Trump has basically destroyed his legacy

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

It's high time to bulldoze that POS building into the East River or have Trump corp turn it into a condo.

Condo's would be nice....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I am pretty sure you lot dropped that moab on the wrong infested warren.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Word.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Condo's would be nice....

Sounds like a plan..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by JSTUART

No, we just need to drop a few more..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

No truer words could be spoken.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by CEJ1895

No, we just need to drop a few more..

We got more?

Allright!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Evidently the UN members must be fearful their ACA deductibles and premiums will go up.

I bet they pay no premiums and have no deductibles on their insurance plans.
That kind of stuff is for the little people.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
UN really stands for Uber Numbskulls. They can fuck themselves.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,652 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,293
Posts18,486,946
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.