Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Hello. I have a mint Ruger Super Blackhawk that I got new in 1975 and it hasn't had over 20 rounds put through it.

I don't like the square back grip frame so replaced it with a regular Blackhawk steel frame. It didn't feel right so I changed it back.

Now, when the loading gate is open the cylinder will freely spin in both directions with no clicking sounds at all.

Tonight I stripped it down completely per Ruger's disassembly instructions. I put it all back together and the cylinder still rotates freely in both directions.

I checked the plunger on the base pin and it is fine.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I would appreciate any help.

Sorry...I forgot to say that the transfer bar doesn't entirely cover the firing pin when the hammer is cocked but is however, functional as it should be.

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited by model70man; 04/28/17. Reason: Left off some info
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It it click and spin only one way before you took off the old grip frame?
There are after market hands made to make Rugers do exactly that, but it would have been already installed (obviously) for that to be the "problem" If you send it to Ruger you will get it back with all aftermarket parts removed and replaced with Ruger parts.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
^^^

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by szihn
It it click and spin only one way before you took off the old grip frame?
There are after market hands made to make Rugers do exactly that, but it would have been already installed (obviously) for that to be the "problem" If you send it to Ruger you will get it back with all aftermarket parts removed and replaced with Ruger parts.

Yes Sir, it did click and spin only one way before I put the Bubba (me) on it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ok. Without having the gun in front of me I can only make guesses, but two things I'd look at is #1 the plunger and spring that presses on the cylinder stop. Make use the spring is in the correct position and not bent.
#2 Also look at the hand spring and make sure it's OK too. If the hand spring is not working the hand can retract and the cylinder can spin backwards, but the gun wont work right if you try to cock it pointing the muzzle up. The hand can fall backwards and not rotate the cylinder every time if the spring is mashed or bent.

If the stop spring is messed up the cylinder will not lock right even with the gate closed and can spin backwards and forwards at times, but usually it will be pretty obvious if you press on the cylinder stop with your thumb. (with the cylinder removed of course)

Last edited by szihn; 04/29/17.
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
+1 on the hand spring being the problem. On a Blackhawk, the hand spring is a spring loaded plunger in the frame. It is easy to lose the spring and/or plunger when disassembling the gun. Or the plunger could be stuck for some reason. Either way, that's where I would look.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,780
Posts18,495,926
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.