Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Jeffpg Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hey fellows, I'm working in the twin cities area in Minnesota for a couple more weeks. I'm hoping to find some property to access for some turkey hunting around here or south of here on my way home after the job is done. I'll have plenty of time and hope to hunt Wisconsin as well.

I have excellent turkey hunting on my west Texas hunting lease and will gladly repay any favors towards helping me get in a good hunt or two.

Thanks,
Jeff

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wait tll you check out the non-resident licence fees. Also, in Wisconsin you need to draw a tag and I think you are too late.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by rondrews
Wait tll you check out the non-resident licence fees. Also, in Wisconsin you need to draw a tag and I think you are too late.

Naw...you can buy NR later season tags. There are plenty of them left. I didn't draw in the lottery and bought 3 for next week.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Jeff, how far do you want to drive? There is a WMA, Carlos Avery, up in Anoka Co, 25 miles north of the Twin Cities, that you can probably get some tags in. It's public ground, so you may see some others in there.

I don't know anyone that has private ground you can hunt on.

Northern WI, Zones 6 and 4 have TONS of state land you can hunt on. There ARE plenty of birds in there. It's sand country, sand roads, sand hills and ridges. Should be plenty of sign to see to give you a direction to hunt in. If you want more details, PM me. That will be anywhere from 1-2 hrs from the Mlps/st. paul area, north. If you have a tent, you're golden up there.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Carlos Avery isn't bad but a lot of people hunt it and the birds get real smart.
If you are heading south look into Whitewater WMA. I have taken some nice birds out of there with shotgun and bow.
Root River WMA south of La Crescent Mn. doesn't see much pressure and has some real nice birds.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Go to the MN DNR website and there are map functions for finding WPA or similar lands.

I've hunted MN for 3 years now and have great success on public land I've located on there. It seems to have less pressure that when I hunted paper land in WI with my father in law.

Note: I hunt where I walk across state land, federal land, and WPA's and found I need to shoot non-toxic shot. Easier to use hevi-shot than get a ticket.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by tzone

Naw...you can buy NR later season tags. There are plenty of them left. I didn't draw in the lottery and bought 3 for next week.

Bought 3?

Were you buying for the family?

I thought you were limited to one license per hunter

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by humdinger
Originally Posted by tzone

Bought 3?

Were you buying for the family?

I thought you were limited to one license per hunter

You can buy as many extra tags as you want to. When I lived there, I was actually drawn for two tags before.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Tzone,

I think I'm slow on connecting the dots today.

Its WI you can buy as many tags as possible. Not MN.

(because if it was MN, I would be buying more tags for the last week hunt)

Jeffpg Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I appreciate the response guys. I can pick up a archery tag in Minnesota, and Wisconsin has multiple opportunities for permits.

I have some good leads in Wisconsin, but not too much in Minnesota yet. I will look into the WMA's you have mentioned.

I still have a week or two of work left before I can hunt so I'm still trying to line things up.

Jeff

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a lot of Turkey's on my property near Stone Lake, South of Hayward, but the funny thing is they always seem to be without any Jakes or Toms. A couple of years ago I had some leftover Sunflower Seeds that I use in the winter for feeding birds, so I dumped them across the road from my house and had at least a dozen hens gobble them up. I even put a Trail camera out to see if I could get pic of a Male, but they were all hens.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by humdinger
Tzone,

I think I'm slow on connecting the dots today.

Its WI you can buy as many tags as possible. Not MN.

(because if it was MN, I would be buying more tags for the last week hunt)

I'm not sure about MN. I just "hunt" the one week I get drawn for. I don't know why you couldn't buy more though if they have leftovers.

Yes, in WI you can buy more than one tag if available. and I did.

Jeffpg Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I believe I'm going to bow hunt the Whitewater WMA in Minnesota before heading over to the Black River Falls area in Wisconsin.

I have good info for Wisconsin but I'd appreciate any help I can get for Minnesota as I'm going into the Whitewater totally blind.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 21, 65 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,414
Posts18,470,481
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.