Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
I have a friend who purchased a 2015 Subaru forester at end of 2014. The car burns a quart of oil every 2 to 3 k miles. The dealer keeps telling her this is normal for a car and has been giving her the run around for the past two years.

She then found out about the class action suit and again approached dealer.

http://www.torquenews.com/1084/subaru-settles-oil-consumption-lawsuit?page=1

She approached the dealer and they admitted suit was true and she demanded a fix. The dealer advised that yes the VIN on her vehicle indicated that it would probably have problems. Of course Subaru never notified her. They put in a new engine block and the car nearly ran out of oil last week; a month after the block was put in. She carried 3 to 4 quarts in the vehicle just in case.

She is getting close to warranty expiring and the dealer again giving her the run around I suspect until the warranty expires.

She called Subaru and just gets voice mail. Subaru's customer service is a joke to say the least.

Any ideas to put pressure on Subaru to fix this problem?

I would never ever buy a Subaru as this is about the tenth Subaru I have seen with engine problems.

Last edited by ribka; 05/03/17.
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Her warranty will automatically go to 8 years and 100K from what the linked article said. Still a POS.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I would have an attorney send a short letter documenting the issue persists and that it has been reported prior to the warranty ending.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lemon Laws down here would have already kicked in.

Check the lemon laws for the applicable state.

https://www.carlemon.com/

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
ribka Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
She has around 90 k on vehicle as she drives A LOT for work so that is the concern warranty expires soon. Plus the resale value will be crap

The car started burning oil at around 6k miles that she noticed after oil light kept coming on.

thanks for help

researching lemon law.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Return to the dealership with Lawyer.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is what the lemon laws are for. Tell her to use it and SOON, before the warranty runs out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ribka
She has around 90 k on vehicle as she drives A LOT for work so that is the concern warranty expires soon. Plus the resale value will be crap

The car started burning oil at around 6k miles that she noticed after oil light kept coming on.

thanks for help

researching lemon law.

I had a 2003 Outback and that SOB used up more oil then it should have, brought it to the dealer back when I bought it and they said it was normal. Happiest day of my life when i unloaded the POS.

NOt sure what state you live in but hopefully she has all documented receipts. Hopefully it was at the dealers for a while as well. I just went thru the process with Ford and it was not pretty, Add them to the list of POS companies.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Any ideas to put pressure on Subaru to fix this problem?

I would never ever buy a Subaru as this is about the tenth Subaru I have seen with engine problems.

I had an issue with a Subaru dealer overcharging for parts in 2001 or so.

I contacted Subaru of America by letter. Got nice replies that it was a dealer issue, not a Subaru issue.

I sent another letter saying I pulled up to the dealer, great BIG signs at the street saying Authorized Subaru Dealer, pull around to service dept, more signs Authorize Subaru service center, go inside another sign Authorized Subaru parts department, guy comes to service my car Authorized Subaru service technician....... get the idea.

Told Subaru I was a long time Subaru buyer/driver, I had owned one since I bought my first brand new car, a 1977 Subaru station wagon. I had continually owned one up to that date (nearly 25 years).

Another letter from Subaru of America, sorry for your dissatisfaction, but we still think it's a dealer issue.

When that car got sold in 2004 or so, I was the last Subaru I have owned. Switched to Toyota for our new cars and couldn't be happier (so far). Just bought a new RAV4 last September.

Good luck getting satisfaction out of them, slightly different situation with your friend's car, but I wouldn't hold out too much hope. Letter from lawyer might help.

Geno

PS, never had an engine problem with my older Subarus, usually good for 250K miles or more. They were the 4 cyl ones.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

thanks for help

researching lemon law.

I had a 2003 Outback and that SOB used up more oil then it should have, brought it to the dealer back when I bought it and they said it was normal. Happiest day of my life when i unloaded the POS.

NOt sure what state you live in but hopefully she has all documented receipts. Hopefully it was at the dealers for a while as well. I just went thru the process with Ford and it was not pretty, Add them to the list of POS companies.

IF you think your Outback is a POS you should own my wife's Land Rover. Biggest POS ever sold. I can't imagine they get a lot of repeat buyers.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
The '11 - '15 Subaru 'FB' engine had a LOT of problems in several models that had the wrong rings put on the piston. Bud has a '12 Impreza with that engine and high oil consumption. Dealer did an oil consumption test which it failed and replaced rings and block, IIRC.

Class action suit should cover your friend.

Go to www.carcomplaints.com

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 2011, a 2012, and a 2014. They don't use any oil at all. I heard some had one of the rings that does not seat. I would take in in, collect the paperwork and go for the lemon law.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Boxer engine burning oil thing is a long established issue, but my turbo Forester burn rate wasnt bad....
maybe around 1 quart for 12,000 miles.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Squirrelnut
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

thanks for help

researching lemon law.

IF you think your Outback is a POS you should own my wife's Land Rover. Biggest POS ever sold. I can't imagine they get a lot of repeat buyers.

Land Rovers are for people that want to look good and don't care what they pay in repairs.

Oil consumption on my POS subaru was just the tip of the iceberg. Numerous electrical issues, transmission module replaced,short disc brake pad life(and I drive slow and carefully) cracked alternator, poorly designed fuel line that leaked fuel onto the engine during cold weather, windshield wiper motor and linkage had to be replaced.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Sorry to hear that. I'd keep pressuring Subaru and if the dealer doesn't budge then push up the corporate chain.

I have a 98 Forester in my driveway that burns about a quart every 3K and it only has 246K miles on it.
It failed inspection last week because the center brake light didn't work(and hasn't for the last 10 years). I tore it apart and found a bad wire(after popping 2 fuses). I didn't think wires failed.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a 2017 Subaru Outback and have no problems (@ 9500 miles). The car is averaging 34 MPG and burns no oil between 3,000 mile oil changes.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well keeping my fingers crossed.. Have a new 2017 Outback, 3.6R so hoping this one is not effected. So far no issues. Had a Volkswagen Passat Diesel.. At least Volkswagen ponied up on that one. Basically got what I paid for it and drove it for 40K. I am missing the mileage it got however.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by djs
I have a 2017 Subaru Outback and have no problems (@ 9500 miles). The car is averaging 34 MPG and burns no oil between 3,000 mile oil changes.

You're wasting oil and money.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For a bunch of manly men there sure seem to be a lot of Lezbarus amongst you.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
For a bunch of manly men there sure seem to be a lot of Lezbarus amongst you.

Hey! Be nice. not everyone can handle a luxury 4wd van like you have stashed in Kodiak.... smile BTW, I still have the 2000 Silverado, 4wd Z71 , it has shed at least one of the frame bump stops. Found it laying in the driveway this week, also found the 2 U Tube videos showing how to replace them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (01Foreman400, 35, 405winash, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 801 guests, and 780 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,392
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.