Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SargeMO

I particularly like the basic R1 sight layout, which is a 'high hardball' rear sight and a dovetailed-in front sight. A good review with detail photos can be found at http://www.gunblast.com/Remington-R1.htm

Thanks sarge....that was a good read although I don't need very much convincing at this point.

I'm making my semi monthly trip to town tomorrow so I'll hit the gun shops to see if I can handle one. I kinda doubt it though and even if I do find one I don't expect it to be withing $100 of the on-line price. That's ok though....at least my favorite shop can make $20 on the transfer.

I figure I'll have one within the next couple weeks.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
No matter. They work.
Yeah, they're high quality mags, no doubt, and they will work reliably, but as your mag spring wears out, the frequency of inertia feeds on the last round will increase. Each inertia feed over-stresses the internal type extractor found on traditional 1911s, shortening its service life. There's a reason John Browning didn't make flush-fitting 8 round mags for the 1911.

Well....seeings how this is the internet that may or may not be true but even if it is I don't see what harm keeping a couple of eight rounders loaded with HP's around for home defense would do.
Which is exactly what I'll do but I'll use the factory mags for practice providing they function properly.

PS.....I'm surprised Kimber and Wilson Combat didn't seek out your wisdom before investing the money in manufacturing eight round mags.

The facts predate the internet, and TRH. Why Kimber and Wilson chose to ignore them is their business, I guess.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A flush fitting steel magazine has another advantage in a full size steel frame 1911.

Better than brass knuckles. Perfect angle for a skull smash without damage to the magazine.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gibby
A flush fitting steel magazine has another advantage in a full size steel frame 1911.

Better than brass knuckles. Perfect angle for a skull smash without damage to the magazine.

Thanks....that was helpful. crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If we're down to smashing skulls, do we really care about the magazine?

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Never limit you options. Geesh....

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I bought this one from CDNN a bit ago for six or seven hundred bucks wanting a threaded 1911 for eventual suppressor work on axis deer on the property. So far it is a shooter with zero issues, mag or otherwise. Offhand at various ranges, upper left being 25 yards, so marked with gypo Walmart ball.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
What maker is that ED?

Looks to high tech for a simpleton like me.

I was able to handle both a 4.25" and a 5" R1 today. I like em both.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Sorry. Remington per the OP. They fit them, at least mine, tight. The final lock of the barrel in battery reminds me a lot of a Baer I once owned, click... We shall see longer term.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Gottcha.....I was stumped but I'm not familiar with all the different versions so that's not a surprise.

I guess I'll add you to the list of good feed back where the R1 is concerned..

Edit......I just checked the site to see if I could figure out the model.....looks like it's the "R1 Enhanced"......and while I was there I discovered they lowered the price of the 5" I've been looking at sometime today. Down to $499 from $553!!!!! I ordered it before they change their mind. Thanks Ed....

Last edited by FieldGrade; 05/03/17.
IC B3

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
That is a lot of gun for 500 bucks. You will be pleased. Congrats .

Take care putting that slide release back in on reassembly. Others will chime in on that.

.... and lubrication.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Remington's 1911's are noticeably better finished than all the Rock Islands I've handled and I've handled a bunch of them. The bright nickel RIA is the only exception and it's probably the best-finished gun in their lineup.

I've been using Chip McCormick's 8 round magazines, in both the Powermag and Classic configurations, for about six years now. I've probably bought 12-16 of them for myself and as gifts for my sons that shoot 1911's. I consider them utterly reliable and if a 1911 won't run with them, the problem is somewhere else. They're the only mag I'll use for a carry or duty gun.

No flies on the Rem. 1911's, or the Rock Islands either for that matter. I wouldn't hesitate to buy either as a first 1911.

But like the Sarge says, the Chip McCormick 8 round mags are one of the most reliable 1911 mags made. PERIOD!
And the ONLY 8 round 1911 mags that I'd bet my life on are the CMC & Wilson Combat. I've been using both exclusively for years and have never had either fail me!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Gottcha.....I was stumped but I'm not familiar with all the different versions so that's not a surprise.

I guess I'll add you to the list of good feed back where the R1 is concerned..

Edit......I just checked the site to see if I could figure out the model.....looks like it's the "R1 Enhanced"......and while I was there I discovered they lowered the price of the 5" I've been looking at sometime today. Down to $499 from $553!!!!! I ordered it before they change their mind. Thanks Ed....

smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
No matter. They work.
Yeah, they're high quality mags, no doubt, and they will work reliably, but as your mag spring wears out, the frequency of inertia feeds on the last round will increase. Each inertia feed over-stresses the internal type extractor found on traditional 1911s, shortening its service life. There's a reason John Browning didn't make flush-fitting 8 round mags for the 1911.

Well....seeings how this is the internet that may or may not be true but even if it is I don't see what harm keeping a couple of eight rounders loaded with HP's around for home defense would do.
Which is exactly what I'll do but I'll use the factory mags for practice providing they function properly.

PS.....I'm surprised Kimber and Wilson Combat didn't seek out your wisdom before investing the money in manufacturing eight round mags.

grin grin

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gunner500
I'd put them in the RIA camp, I was advised against buying one of those in 10mm, I certainly wouldn't be afraid to buy or fire either brand.

what did you hear about the 10mm Remington?

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A
That is a lot of gun for 500 bucks. You will be pleased. Congrats .

And now with Remington's $100 back rebate as noted by FieldGrade that was posted yesterday, the 15th, which was the first day of the rebate program as FieldGrade noted in his original post, the pistol can be had for about $400. That's quite a deal!

Rebate end date July 30.

Retired cat herder.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

627 members (160user, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 42 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,834
Posts18,478,050
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.