Print Thread
Hop To
Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
I'm buying some 7x57 PPU ammo just to get some brass and shoot a bit and I saw that PPU sells 375 H&H mag 300 gr. Ammo in FMJ and Softs. I know nothing of their bullets. I've always used PPU for plinking ammo-303,8mm etc. How does this 375 stuff hold up for the big stuff? If an ammo company is gonna make dangerous game ammo, I would think they would make decent tough loads. From a lawsuit legality standpoint I can't see them making junk that would fail. Anybody use the soft points on elk, plains game? I dare ask, solids on buffalo??? Anybody do some wet phone book penetration tests? Just curious. I know their brass is OK. Nothing great, but for cheap brass, I have no problems. What's up with the bullets themselves?

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No experience with the 375 but have used the 6.5, 25 cal. PPU bullets. Work fine on deer and hogs and when sectioned they look similar to the current Corelokt bullet jacket in taper and thickness. The lead tips were not uniform but they still shot well. I would not hesitate to use them on medium game but for Buffalo I would use a premium just for the psychological advantage. Can't verify this but I think some of the African Game Guards use PPU ammo for control work.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Whilst hunting dangerous game, you want to tilt the odds in your favor as much as possible. DG safaris are both expensive and, by definition, dangerous. The least expensive component of your safari is the ammunition. Buy the best, most proven ammunition there is. Don't endanger your life or the lives of those in your party by using unproven ammunition just to save a few bucks.

BTW, how did the PPU 7x57 ammunition group in your rifle? Did you chrono the ammunition? If so, would be interested in your results.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I agree with what Winchestermodel70 said - ammunition is always the least expensive part of any hunt, whether DG or not. Even shooting ridiculously expensive loads in my .375 or .45-90, total cost per animal taken is well under $20 (with sighters). Purchase (or manufacture) the best loads for your application.

Last edited by Llama_Bob; 05/22/17.
Z
Zengela Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Z
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Whilst hunting dangerous game, you want to tilt the odds in your favor as much as possible. DG safaris are both expensive and, by definition, dangerous. The least expensive component of your safari is the ammunition. Buy the best, most proven ammunition there is. Don't endanger your life or the lives of those in your party by using unproven ammunition just to save a few bucks.

BTW, how did the PPU 7x57 ammunition group in your rifle? Did you chrono the ammunition? If so, would be interested in your results.

Sorry, have not had the chance to shoot the PPU 7x57. Just got a new job and very busy. As for the 375,. I would never shoot Dangerous Game with questionable ammo. Was just wondering the its,and,buts,and why behind PPU 375 FMJ.

IC B2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
the soft ones are like lapua mega so a regular soft cup and core.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,561 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,475
Posts18,471,521
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.