Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
As long as it's not one of the brand new tv's that don't have a coax input it should work. Some of the new 4K tv's are hdmi only. Samsung has some new cable that's twice the size of an hdmi but at the moment can't remember what that's called.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob, it should work fine. I put a flat screen that the wife had in the bed room, out into the camper. Coax cable from the built in antenna on the travel trailer and it works fine. You just have to find the correct imput, in the settings. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcime back to Sanity World! Your digital set will absolutely pull in signals from an antenna.

I cut the cord over a year ago. I've had an attenna in the attic since I moved here in 1990, but unhooked it when I began using satellite service shortly after. When I cut the sat off last year, I fished the cable from the attic up behind my 58" plasma set and hooked it up. Found out I've got about 60 digital channels from DC and Baltimore coming in over the Blue Ridge. Still not much to watch as far as I'm concerned, but it's free.

My tv scans the input for stations. Yours probably has a similar function. Weak signals will cause the picture to pixelate, unlike analog, which "snows". Occasionally, weak stations will drop out entirely. My antenna doesn't rotate, unless I drag my old, fat ass up in the attic and turn it while my wife shouts out the results. If you have signals coming in from multiple directions, I suggest you invest in a rotor of some sort. Also, either have the antenna installed professionally or do your research on lightning protection.

If you have decently fast internet, by all means get Netflix. For $10 a month, there's tons of stuff to watch, when you want to watch it. If you happen to have Amazon Prime, you also have Prime Video at no extra charge. Tons more stuff to watch for free, and you can rent or buy additional content, including HBO, Starz, etc that you may have liked from your satellite service. The difference is, you can subscribe a month at a time, then cut it off after you're done.

I'm spending a fraction of what I did for satellite, and went from 250 channels of nothing to watch to more than I can ever watch.

PM me if you want any more info.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Springcove
As long as it's not one of the brand new tv's that don't have a coax input it should work. Some of the new 4K tv's are hdmi only. Samsung has some new cable that's twice the size of an hdmi but at the moment can't remember what that's called.

Correct, but I'm curious in case he has no reception via antenna about how he can access some content either via Netflix/Hulu/Amazon, etc. Netflix being $8 for a basic standard definition streaming plan or $10 for HD. Also believe they have a 2-week free trial.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I was just answering the antenna question. To stream you need some type of decent internet. Apple,Roku ,Chrome stick, etc are all dependent on internet. More speed enter result. Netflix goes through many devices but without direct throughput you will need internet.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
To pick up digital signals it will have to have a digital receiver (QAM) almost any recent TV will be fine. If it's over 7=8 years old maybe not. Would depend on the exact model.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some tvs have wifi and can get Netflix, etc that way, but others will need a box of some type to handle the signal. My set is 7 years old and just missed the cut on the built-in stuff, so I use a Playstation 3 over wifi for my internet tv. Magic boxes are available from Amazon and Apple starting around $50 that will handle the chore if your set won't by itself.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Need a hard wire telephone connection to pick up Net Flix in my area. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The so called Smart tv's have wifi antennas but they are not great. They are heavily dependent on decent internet. If you have decent internet you can plug it into a smart tv and have direct connect to the internet service. You just need an Ethernet cable.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Springcove
I was just answering the antenna question. To stream you need some type of decent internet. Apple,Roku ,Chrome stick, etc are all dependent on internet. More speed enter result. Netflix goes through many devices but without direct throughput you will need internet.

Right again, but since KW said he's down in a hollow/bottom somewhere in TX, that's why we're all talking about streaming stuff since he likely won't have many channels, if any. Even with 40+ channels available to me via airwaves at my old place, still wasn't anything I wanted to watch except Seahawks games on TV. So I have Netflix and Amazon now. Was using a smart (read: internet connected) blu-ray player until I grabbed the XBox one.

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Absolutely it will work. We have an antenna pointed at the closest broadcast area for when Severe weather knocks out the satellite feed. ALWAYS happens during severe weather, so we just click over to the aerial and watch the tornado coverage. I bought one of those little digital wall antennas to mount outside my Gma's house, she used it the last few years of her life. Probably 50 miles from the towers and could get 20+ channels.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Those little indoor antennas are only any good if you live right in the middle of the broadcasting town. An outdoor "fringe antenna" works the best. The digitally optimized antennas are a little better, but those old aerial antennas still pick up digital signals quite well.

Point one at the broadcasting area, keeping in mind that geographical west or north etc, is not the same as magnetic west/north/etc. To fine tune it, point it and check the signal reception thru the tv, move it a little and check the reception again. Keep doing it until you find the best reception direction.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob, I have a roof mounted antenna on my travel trailers and an A B switch ch to use either the roof mount antenna or a Tailgater sattelite antenna. I used the same type coax cable for both going to a new hi def TV.

I think it is called RG 6 wire but I'm not certain about that.

The old flat type wire is another question, and I don't know the answer.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sorry I should put the caveat that the antenna service will depend on whats out there over the air. Netflix can be accessed on multiple devices as long as you have internet. Without internet I'm not sure how you could get it.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
ROKU it will connect to lots of channels, including Netflix, and youtube uses your wifi if it is decent; lots of odd ball streaming channels you may or not like. It is fairly easy to understand, too. You can buy the little sticks for $50, and put one on any TV you want, and we can each watch something different.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by kennyd
ROKU it will connect to lots of channels, including Netflix, and youtube uses your wifi if it is decent; lots of odd ball streaming channels you may or not like. It is fairly easy to understand, too. You can buy the little sticks for $50, and put one on any TV you want, and we can each watch something different.
This. You can also cast from a computer or phone, to the TV through the roku.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Thanks again to you all. All we are going to ever watch is regular ol' TV. None of the netflix or streaming stuff. Basically if she can get a day of PBS cooking shows she will be happy.

Personally speaking, I have appointments with several books!!!

Thanks again!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hulu, Netflix and Amazon tv is they way to go.. just need good internet! Hulu has all the current tv shows..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Thanks again to you all. All we are going to ever watch is regular ol' TV. None of the netflix or streaming stuff. Basically if she can get a day of PBS cooking shows she will be happy.

Personally speaking, I have appointments with several books!!!

Thanks again!!

Alright, bearing that in mind, before you go forward, go to that link I posted and enter your exact address. It will tell you what channels you can expect to receive and what the signal quality is. If your antenna is over 30ft above the ground, check the box that says so. Go from there. That link is extremely accurate in terms of information on channels and signal strength.

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
We just had the satallite tv shut off. Too expensive and basically nonthing but same stuff over and over. But wifey, being house bound needs some tv to watch. The dilemma is them cheesy table and wall mounted antenna things suck here.

What I wanna know is I have all this old coax running into the house that ain't being used now. Is there a way that I can just rig up an external old fashion type, pole mounted antenna and use that existing coax wire with these big azz flat screen HD TV's????

This hi-tech stuff is not my real forte. Any suggestions or direction would be earnestly solicited and greatly appreciated

That is exactly what I did. The new digital lcd works as well on the antena as the old crt did.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 8 invisible), 1,514 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,303
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.