Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by BarryC

- Next, allow the market to go back and make a separate, independent market based system. You want to go to a private MD, or a Private hospital that does not participate in National Healthcare? You can buy an insurance policy to cover that or pay cash for doctor's visits. I promise that a market based insurance covers private system would see premiums fall by 50%! America would still have the best healthcare in the World, we would still have innovation, you just won't get the best for "free" .
No, the premiums would NOT fall - because the National HC system would ensure that the system remains bloated. Just like private schools aren't cheaper than public, because public sets the minimum cost standard.

.I don't agree. The private system would not be required to give"fee" care to those who don't pay, shifting the cost of that service to others in the system. In the Private system, you pay, or you go to the Government system. Costs will come down because EVERYONE that utilizes the Private system will support it.

It will if it buys a politician a vote. And it will.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hatari speak truth, and he has LBJ sniffed out to boot.

Let's hope America can hang together well enough to be able to wake up and recognize the 10 at 2 is REALLY a 2 at 10.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Now that I have shocked many of you, seeing that Hatari would say such thing knowing full well that Healthcare will suffer. I've got news for you, the horse is out of the barn and he ain't coming home.

We have had National Healthcare since 1966. It is called Medicare. Any one who uses it knows it is a mess, and any provider that takes it knows it is a mess that is a money loser.

If anybody here thinks we have had independent healthcare since 1966, you are fooling yourself. It is precisely the fact that Medicare is government run, payed for by a universal tax, and reimburses only 80% of what it costs to provide the service is why the system has slowly bloated and is failing.

I repeat, we have had National Healthcare since 1966, it only covered 65 years +.

Now that Obamacare has mandated coverage of pre existing conditions and has subsidized premiums, we will never go back to what we had in 2009, NEVER. Politicians will NEVER DO DO IT. Voters have gotten used to it and you can NEVER take it away.
Yep..

We are screwed. We lost. Face it, we lost. We lost just like Hillary Clinton lost. She and her minions can cry all they want, but HRC is not President and never will be. We can bitch and moan and cry all we want, but Nancy Pelosi with her "we need to pass it to find out what's in it" screwed us. They won. The GOP rolled over and played dead thinking that the SCOTUS would save their asses. Justice Roberts told them to "GFY" because it was not his duty to clean up their messes, and he refused to do it anymore. I don't blame him, I don't.
I do.. That POS!!! I hope he has a long, lingering death and is screaming in agony the ENTIRE time...
Medicare was going to break the system sooner or later. Too damn many Babyboomers living well past age 70 and will need incalculable care before end of life. That alone will kill the healthcare system because the it will become an ever increasing part of the budget.

Social Security and Medicare right now is nearly 50% of all of the budget. That is NOT going to change. Trump ain't changing it, neither is Paul Ryan. The Democrats poisoned the system and there is not antidote.

Is there any strategy to make the best out of a crappy situation? Yes, I think there is.

- First, the GOP might as will just go whole hog and say "We're for National Healthcare". Yep I said it. Make it a bare bones deal, put in another payroll tax and go with it. I suggest they look at some country with more than 50 million people that has a history of a system that works and copy it.
HAH.. Good luck with all THAT.
THIS WILL SCREW THE DEMOCRATS FOR THE NEXT 40 YEARS!

If the GOP doesn't do it, The Dems will within 12 years.

- Next, allow the market to go back and make a separate, independent market based system. You want to go to a private MD, or a Private hospital that does not participate in National Healthcare? You can buy an insurance policy to cover that or pay cash for doctor's visits. I promise that a market based insurance covers private system would see premiums fall by 50%! America would still have the best healthcare in the World, we would still have innovation, you just won't get the best for "free" .

I am sorry to break the news to you. DocRocket, DocEncore and others might agree or they might have virgin birth when they read this. It is time to grasp the fact that the old system is dead, and there will me no resurrection. Our only hope to have a choice is to run 2 parallel systems, one gov't and one private. If you want to pay to play, you get the best. If you want to use that=e taxpayer funded, fine, but you get what you get. You don't get a Lexus for the payments of a Prius.

The sooner we accept this, the faster we can get on with it. I say steal the Democrats thunder, make the system a copy of one that works the best, and run with it. There is no going back. Just don't let the Dems do it because if they do, they will regain power for the next 60 years, and you know what that means. Sharia is coming!
I'll tell you ONE thing that's definitely comin' - "single-payer system' - paid to the US gov't... It's inevitable, and they we're REALLY screwed - because your coverage WILL depend on just WHO you voted for...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
the fly in the ointment being....Government does nothing well

.... like tears in the rain
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Men, just suppose we were congress, what do we agree on? Carry on.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I didn't read all the crying but this is exactly what I said last year. If Republicans can deliver this the Democrats are frozen out of power for a generation. Medicare for all is probably the least bad solution at this point. The really hard part is having the political will to kick the medical and insurance lobby out of the room and write a responsible bill with real cost controls. There will be crappy public healthcare for all and those with money will buy premium supplemental insurance that will deliver the best healthcare in the world. We have already socialized the big risk groups. Seniors and the mentally challenged poor are already on the dole because they're not profitable. This is the future because the business lobby wants out of the healthcare cost management. There was the comment from one of the GM CEO's that GM was a healthcare company that made cars.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I long held the opinion that the solution is a dual system. Instead of Medicaid allot the money to the states for the purpose of setting up a state hospital system and allow those that qualify get there medical care there.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
This is even more true today. Obamacare and the VA horror stories have killed government controlled health insurance.
Any battles they win will only make the system worse and in the long run give US a better market oriented system.

Cato Policy Analysis No. 613
The Grass Is Not Always Greener: A Look at National Health Care Systems Around the World
By Michael D. Tanner
March 18, 2008
Critics of the U.S. health care system frequently point to other countries as models for reform. They point out that many countries spend far less on health care than the United States yet seem to enjoy better health outcomes. The United States should follow the lead of those countries, the critics say, and adopt a government- run, national health care system.
However, a closer look shows that nearly all health care systems worldwide are wrestling with problems of rising costs and lack of access to care. There is no single international model for national health care, of course. Countries vary dramatically in the degree of central control, regulation, and cost sharing they impose, and in the role of private insurance. Still, overall trends from national health care systems around the world suggest the following:
Health insurance does not mean universal access to health care. In practice, many countries promise universal coverage but ration care or have long waiting lists for treatment.
Rising health care costs are not a uniquely American phenomenon. Although other countries spend considerably less than the United States on health care, both as a percentage of GDP and per capita, costs are rising almost everywhere, leading to budget deficits, tax increases, and benefit reductions.
In countries weighted heavily toward government control, people are most likely to face waiting lists, rationing, restrictions on physician choice, and other obstacles to care.
Countries with more effective national health care systems are successful to the degree that they incorporate market mechanisms such as competition, cost sharing, market prices, and consumer choice, and eschew centralized government control.
Although no country with a national health care system is contemplating abandoning universal coverage, the broad and growing trend is to move away from centralized government control and to introduce more market-oriented features.
The answer then to America’s health care problems lies not in heading down the road to national health care but in learning from the experiences of other countries, which demonstrate the failure of centralized command and control and the benefits of increasing consumer incentives and choice.

The last three elections without Obama were about Obamacare. They destroyed the Democratic party at all levels.
By the time the Senate and the House ever get their act together and send anything to the White House; Ocare will be a lot worse.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by jimone
We need more kids wanting to grow up to be doctors and less wanting to be lawyers.

As a practicing lawyer for the last 25 years I follow the trends pretty closely. Law school enrollment is down nearly 40% in most states. There just isn't enough work any longer to sustain prior levels of enrollment. Of the roughly 215 law schools in this country we would do well to close at least half of those. It cost a lot and isn't worth it to the great majority of new lawyers.

We need more people going into the health care field. That's a given.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by StarGazer
We need more kids wanting to grow up to be doctors and less wanting to be lawyers.

As a practicing lawyer for the last 25 years I follow the trends pretty closely. Law school enrollment is down nearly 40% in most states. There just isn't enough work any longer to sustain prior levels of enrollment. Of the roughly 215 law schools in this country we would do well to close at least half of those. It cost a lot and isn't worth it to the great majority of new lawyers.

If the government ends up running all of healthcare we will see fewer new doctors because they will make much less money under a government system and fewer people will go into the field. For example Medicaid pays about 55% of what the private market pays and Medicare is a little better at 75-80%. As a result it's hard for patients under these programs to find doctors who will provide services.

Just wait until we have a single payer system. Everyone would theoretically have benefits but it reality it would be hard to get the services you need. That's how it works in Britain, Canada and lots of other countries. This kind of system is OK if you have small common problems like a sinus infection but if you have a serious illness like cancer or heart disease you're not going to get the level of care people get in the US. Aggregate statistics show that people in the US who have serious diseases live significantly longer than they do in Canada. And that was true before Obamacare was implemented. One of the main reasons is that they have much less medical infrastructure (think MRI machines) and people have to wait a long time for critical diagnostic tests.

Single payer may sound good but it will result in lower quality health care and rationing by the bureaucracy.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is a great discussion.

Isn't the elephant in the room simply that virtually all current trend lines head towards disaster in terms of costs and ability for citizens to bear those costs?

To me, that's kinda the real issue here. We can debate solutions, tweak around the margins (like the House's AHCA), and postulate scenarios where this or that is different... but my understanding is that this is not a "tweak the margins" level of problem, when projected forward in time. It's going to strangle our economy.

If that's not correct please say so. I get pretty pissed at the intractable nature of this issue (combined with my own very negative experiences where the medical/insurance industry has literally stolen my money, or tried to) so I usually bail out before digging deep into the data. But my distinct impression is that the REAL issue here is that all trend lines head to disaster as currently comprised.

I do think this is an issue that the Republican Party COULD grab onto and own, or at least, "a" Republican Party could; they've got some shards of fiscal credibility left despite their best efforts to the contrary. I seriously doubt that the RP as currently comprised could do it. Too many blocs that are diametrically opposed. This is perhaps the leading example of how the blinding partisanship we have all fallen into is [bleep] us in the butt. It's not hard to imagine a coalition of talented folks in government, both R & D, coming up with a reasonable solution or at least something to TRY. Maybe something like Hatari's dual-systems approach. But that coalition can never happen in today's D.C. Each side has become masterful at polarization for electoral gain. Our society is so polarized that people can't even seem to TALK anymore. I have a good friend all pissed off at me right now because I brought up this exact subject in an email a couple weeks ago and his head blew up. Very reasonable, intelligent guy who I have a long history with, but any suggestion of a viewpoint in opposition to his, in the political realm, is like a third rail. Didn't used to be like that, folks. Only WE can turn that around. But I don't see that happening either. People love to have their existing beliefs reinforced, and hate any signs of cognitive dissonance, because that might mean that they might (gasp) be wrong. So on the Right we have the yammering of talk radio and so on, where about 1/3 of America goes for their daily dose of polarization and to mock the evil other guy. On the Left we have about a third of us going to the Huffington Post's of the world to have THEIR worldview reinforced and make fun of the other guy. And there's about a third of us in the middle who are just appalled and all the dumbphuckery and the total lack of empathy or even attempted empathy towards others' intellectual positions. This quote sums it up. I am NOT hopeful that we can turn this around, either.

"Intellectually and emotionally weakened by years of steadily degraded public discourse, we are now two separate ideological countries, LeftLand and RightLand, speaking different languages, the lines between us down. Not only do our two subcountries reason differently; they draw upon non-intersecting data sets and access entirely different mythological systems."

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StarGazer

Law School applications are dropping because of the prohibitive cost of education. Med Schools are seeing some other interesting trends. Jewish kids are not running to Med school or Law School like they once did. They don't see the return on the considerable investment. More are going into finance. Huge increase in the number of Indian, Pakistani, Iranian, and Chinese kids going to Med school. They have the grades and aren't worried about the market.

There are plenty of MD's. Schools are turning them out. There just isn't a wealth of them in small towns and rural areas. They can't make a go of it very easily. Why not? You can't run a small office on Medicare, Medicaid reimbursement. They only payout about 80% of the cost of providing the service. Have you not noticed that the MDs have grouped up? That is out of necessity for 2 reasons. First is to cut operating expenses by sharing a facility. Second is have some bargaining power to negotiate fees with insurance companies. They partner up with Well Star or whom ever to have some leverage to negotiate rates. Ones without that leverage get the lowest reimbursement rate. If they don't take it, the ins companies tell them to stuff it. They don't care if they lose 1 doctor, but they do care what a whole citywide network might do if they get shut out.

Making more MDs is not going to send them out to small towns and rural areas. Especially not the Indian, Paki, Chinese kids. Dr. Wang, born in China and raised in L.A. probably will have a little difficulty fitting in living in Baldwin County Alabama. He may not even speak the same language. I know I don't! He probably won't understand why they run deer with dogs and tramp through the swap with lights on there heads drinking beer and hunting raccoons. One look at that lifestyle, and Dr. Wang is likely to go to Birmingham, or better yet, Escondido, California.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
Two thoughts, you make me think of the old 'Northern Exposure", TV, Doctor Fleishman, a fish out of water.

Find out what Bernie Sander wants, and do the opposite.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Two thoughts, you make me think of the old 'Northern Exposure", TV, Doctor Fleishman, a fish out of water.

Find out what Bernie Sander wants, and do the opposite.

That's like a working definition of extreme partisanship: whatever the other guy wants- knee-jerk in the opposite direction. crazy

I'd love to hear, then, how you propose we structure a true free-market health care system, and how we get from hither to yon.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Easy:
1. Remove all government "fixing"
2. allow for the purchase of insurance across state lines
3. allow a-la-carte insurance purchasing
4. tort reform.

AND: Call "pre existing conditions" what it really is: WELFARE and not insurance and simply put that approx 4% of the population into Medicaid.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
T
"Intellectually and emotionally weakened by years of steadily degraded public discourse, we are now two separate ideological countries, LeftLand and RightLand, speaking different languages, the lines between us down. Not only do our two subcountries reason differently; they draw upon non-intersecting data sets and access entirely different mythological systems."

this would be my point exactly, but not using the same words. i see it as an urban vs. rural divide. it's not quite that simple but is approximate.

the rest fits in to, urban raised young MD's might not feel all that comfortable opening new practices in rural areas, for a variety of interrelated reasons.

unfortunately there's lot's of folks that believe fervently that gov't regulation must be a part of the solution. lot's of folks are demanding it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1) Allow the sale of indemnity (catastrophic) insurance.
2) Create free clinics open to ANYONE willing to wait 3 hours and pay MDs/DOs and Dentists willing to see a high volume of patients ~ $300k/ year TAX FREE with no or restricted tort liability.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Medical-industry tort reform is an interesting one.

Seems to violate free-market principles in the sense that it removes consequences for poor or incompetent service. Also sounds an awful lot like .gov intervention into the Market.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Easy:
1. Remove all government "fixing"
2. allow for the purchase of insurance across state lines
3. allow a-la-carte insurance purchasing
4. tort reform.

AND: Call "pre existing conditions" what it really is: WELFARE and not insurance and simply put that approx 4% of the population into Medicaid.

4%? How so? That can't be right.

The issue with pre-existing conditions is that we ALL have them. That hip injury I had in 1987? That's technically a PEC. My wife's job (state job) provides our insurance, but if we lost that and had to go out into the wilds of the insurance marketplace my understanding is that prior to the ACA any treatment on that hip could be denied as a PEC. If it came to something really expensive like replacement (it will come to that someday) then the insurance company becomes highly motivated to determine if a PEC existed in that hip. If they can find my records from '87/'88 I'd be screwed. Is my understanding.

For that exact reason I've been VERY careful my whole life on those forms with all the check-boxes. Ever had... back pain? Well who HASN'T?! But you won't find that box checked on any form I've ever filled out. Etc.

I think the term PEC holds a much deeper meaning in this context than just defining it as 4% of our population. Certainly to the insurers it does!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well it is accurate.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 8 of 13 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

320 members (1936M71, 160user, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 2500HD, 21, 26 invisible), 12,448 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,232
Posts18,544,173
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.