Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

...and a .300 H&H is not legal for elephant in any country.

Not true. The specific legality of .308cal for elephant depends on who is doing the shooting.
SAP can and do use .308cal

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
You wrote "To those who shoot it well .300 HH is more than ample to brain or heart an elephant" who's mis-leading who? Show me where the .300 H&H is legal for elephant? Also,sounds like your advocating the .300 H&H for elephant as the largest game that can be taken with the cartridge. Who's mis-leading who?

I'll stick with the .375 H&H as the minimum,no matter what you say,or do,or whine about.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Starman

...and a .300 H&H is not legal for elephant in any country.

Not true. The specific legality of .308cal for elephant depends on who is doing the shooting.
SAP can and do use .308cal
We are talking about safari hunters here. Stay with the program.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Zengela
Besides like JJHACK says, your wallet is on the line at this point as well as the PHs ass.

You are not there to save the PHs ass, he is there to save yours in the event you cannot properly shoot whatever calibre
you choose to carry.

Ive heard PHs bitch and moan about past clients not using what they consider as enough gun (even when its a .375H&H),
but they will then accept clients who want to hunt the same DG game with a compound bow.

Where is SAP in this quote?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We are talking about safari hunters here.

No you have narrowed it to that, the question orig.posed was about what ANY person reading the thread would shoot with a .300H&H.
It made no mention of calibre legalities or only applying to recreational hunters...all that crap is coming out of your imagination.

Fact remains elephant are legally shot with .308cal.

IC B2

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Getting way off the 300 H&H track here. I think the original post was simply to ask what any of us hunters that have used a 300 H&H would consider the upper end of game animals that was practical to take. SAP culling or whatever is entirely irrevolent.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Getting way off the 300 H&H track here. I think the original post was simply to ask what any of us hunters that have used a 300 H&H would consider the upper end of game animals that was practical to take. SAP culling or whatever is entirely irrevolent.
Yup,exactly right.

Sorry for the diversion OP.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SAP culling or whatever is entirely irrevolent.

5 ton animals being killed with .308cal is irrelevant to the discussion of a 300H&H...but fools posting pictures of rabbits with a .460WM is?

sound like you and him share the same stupid gene.

Yup,exactly right.

People have heard enough of what you think is 'exactly right', considering you have been wrong in your stupid claims all along.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Being called a "fool" by you is an honor. wink

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Due to overwhelming evidence, I can safely rest my case.. wink

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Oh,congratulations. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by pacecars
What is the largest game you would feel comfortable taking with the .300 H&H Magnum? I am thinking Eland for plains game and Leopard. Would you use it on Lion?

Since I am from Africa and I have been hunting and reloading a 300H&H for a couple of years now. I feel comfortable to speak my mind about this. I have taken from vervet monkeys to one cape buffalo with this rifle. I have tested all kinds of bullets weights and designs. In the end my run of the mill is mono bullets . Such as Barnes TSX or GScustom. I will not hesitate to hunt an Eland bull( and I have) with this combination. Used to hunt with 180grn Nosler Acubond at just over 3000fs. Never had a problem on any pgame.
But that is where my comfort level will stop. The buffalo was I head shot, with old 220grn Winchester silver tips. The buf, although not ill, was a suspected carrier of corridor disease. The attending vet asked me to come and shoot it. I will try to upload a couple of kills with the good old 300 H&H.

ps. People tend to forget that that most 300 H&H utilize a 26 inch barrel. This is due to the cartridge design and powder capacity. this then tends to put the traditional H&H a fraction faster as your std 24 inch 300 wm.

I might hunt too much, but it is still not enough!
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Been 9 hours since Starman has said anything negative, derogatory or insulting. He must be in his safe space having a nap.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
[Linked Image]

This Springbuck, was taken a quite a distance of 466yards

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Nice animals/pics LT_DAN.

Specs on rifle,please.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Nice pics. Clean and well laid out. What bullet? Load? Also you being SA do you know are Rhino bullets imported to US? I looked into getting some but it was a dead end on the US side, when I contacted Rhino in SA about getting several boxes, he thought I wanted to be the US importer and didn't understand I only wanted several boxes so I dropped trying too get some. Wanted to try out some of those heavy bullets they offer.

Last edited by Zengela; 05/09/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Been 9 hours since Starman has said anything negative, derogatory or insulting. He must be in his safe space having a nap.

Why don't you tell us what relevance your indecision about .375 or 416 for a cull hunt in AUS. has to do with a specific .300H&H topic
in the AFRICAN section?

Then the suggestion that you intend to 'save the ass of the PH' , but cant even decide which calibre to use in case it hurts your shoulder.
That really deserves the joke of the month award. You sound like a disaster waiting to happen. If you are genuinely concerned about the
welfare of PHs , its probably best for your type not to carry a rifle and hunt with one.

AND since you don't like your precious snowflake feelings being hurt, how about just sticking to the .30cal thread topic instead of drawing
attention to how stupid you are?

Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Yes!! Starman you took the bait. We all knew you couldn't resist. Seems you are somewhat the laughing stock of the Campfire. I got well over a dozen PMs about you in the last day with nice folks from all around telling me all about you. Seems you're a real likeable guy. Whether your starting fights over on the Australian forum about Breaker Morant or being Mr. Smarty Pants about Walter Bell, or just being down right viscous and insensitive about a man being killed and eaten by a crocodile. An extreme expert on everything from drugs and politics to velocities, foot pounds, trajectories, all things manly, and the law. A one man super Messiah.. Seems like you got a pretty thin skin too. But, I degrees. I never said I would or was gonna save my PHs ass. What I was saying was on the same lines as a fellow 24 Campfire poster JJHACH said,"this is not the majority of PHs. Realize that they are the ones that have to find this animal and they want to go home to see their family at the end of the hunt too. These guys don't want to be horned,stomped,chewed,gored,clawed or tossed. Not anymore than the next guy." I never said I was gonna be a hero and save my Ph's ass or that I can't shoot or handle a weapon that is too powerful for me to use effectively. You assume, come to conclusions and make very questionable thoughts on subjects you know nothing about. I feel that I never offended you until you started with the name calling. Quite a few people have stated to me that this is your M.O. and you like to push buttons and get a rise out of others for no other reason than for your own pathetic cheap thrills. It was uncalled for. You are an abusive, insulting and disrespectful person. I have seen your ilk before. You do not know me and to imply about a "stupid gene" is just wrong and infantile. As far as any relevance of the 375 vs 416 talk, I got sidetracked as did others talking about bunny rabbits. I am absolutely confident to be able to know and choose what caliber rifles I should use and are proper and adequate for any task at hand. I have not shoot a rhino, but pretty much everything else pertinent to this thought. It really does not have any relevance to the original post of the 300H&H. But SAP shooting elephants with a .308 is about as relevant as well. You seem like a very knowledgeable and able fellow. Just a little rough around the edges.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (1234, 10gaugeman, 153, 160user, 10Glocks, 51 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,531
Posts18,472,723
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.