Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by kellory
IMHO , as one who uses a crossbow for most of my bow hunting these days, any scope you can see through and will hold it's zero will do. You are talking about using scopes far more accurate than the weapon they are attached to.
Average crossbow shot is likely less than 30-50yards. True, some high dollar crossbows will do 100yds, I hear, but I would never take a shot that far with a weapon with that many variables.
I have shot targets with a longbow, recurve, and compound out to 70yards. (Measured course) but I will not take a bow shot at a live animal at more than 40-45yds max.
Even with carbon shafts, and new matched razorheads, pristine fletchings, and perfect form , variations in flight will still occur, due to factors such as the shift of the breeze.
Scopes are also susceptible to the problem of parilax. I buried a crossbow bolt in a thumb sized branch between me and my deer. That branch was not visible in the scope but was in the flight path of the bolt. Cost me a nice buck. 4X Scope was removed after that, and only one pin is used now.
A high dollar scope on a crossbow is like a precision guidance system on a wiffle bat.

Kinda like polishing a turd???

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by MILES58
"A high dollar scope on a crossbow is like a precision guidance system on a wiffle bat." For some people I just became convinced that this is a true statement.

That has signature line potential...

RB - your crossbow has rifle accuracy potential, match the glass to what it, and you, can do.

Last edited by AH64guy; 05/05/17.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by AH64guy
"A high dollar scope on a crossbow is like a precision guidance system on a wiffle bat." For some people I just became convinced that this is a true statement.

RB - your crossbow has rifle accuracy potential, match the glass to what it, and you, can do.

Agreed! Hell, I might check into a Swarovski!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess you don't hunt under low light conditiions.
(you would guess wrong. I hunt the legal start and stop times)
I guess you also don't figure anyone else does either.

That would rule out facing into a setting/rising sun too.
(If I intentionally set up facing into the direct sunlight, then that would be an idiotic thing to do. pick your position better)
As far as Parallax (parilax for some folks). That generally isn't going to affect you seeing a thumb sized branch at 30 yards. (perhaps not for a ground pounder, but from a tree stand, and using cover, it does. scope is line of sight, while the arrow follows an arc.) (and if you feel the need to correct my spelling, perhaps you should police your own first.)

(my response is within the quote)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by RickyBobby

Kinda like polishing a turd???

More like wasting any education past third grade on some people.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by AH64guy

It's yours.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Are there many options for upgrading a crossbow scope? Wouldn't think there'd be much to choose from regardless. What's a good quality crossbow scope ... just as an example. I'm curious.

There are many scopes for rifles that are excellent on crossbows. Personally, I am using a German made Duralyt 2-8 on my crossbow. I just happened to have it in the safe for a rifle project and it fit the bill so well the rifle will see another scope when I get to that project.

Any 2FP scope will give you some adjustment if you use the top of the heavy "wire" of a duplex reticle and the crosshair in the center. On my Duralyt with the 60 reticle at just under 3x the crosshair is at 20 yards and the top of the post is 50 yards. I can interpolate between them for 30 and 40 yards. But... Out of 8 or 12 deer have killed with it, all have been close enough to 20 that it didn't matter. Maybe this fall I will be shooting more variable range.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Man that sucker is loud !!!! I've reviewed other Ravens over the last few weeks and they all seem to be quite loud. Huge $$$$$ for a noisy bow.

Last edited by 284LUVR; 05/06/17.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Man that sucker is loud !!!! I've reviewed other Ravens over the last few weeks and they all seem to be quite loud. Huge $$$$$ for a noisy bow.

I'll get back with you about that. I'm going to shoot them all when I go.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Geez! That just makes me want to have it in my hands that much more!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The reviews on the first page of this link didn't blow my hair back.

http://www.crossbownation.com/community/threads/ravin-crossbows.39317/

Due your homework.

At the risk of being rude I'd like to point out that I mentioned the extreme noise to another member and he thought I was commenting about the clicking noise from the cocking mechanism.

A fool and his money,..........

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some interesting info on crossbow ballistics.

The chart below, the values displayed within it, and the research conducted is copyrighted material and is the property of www.bestcrossbowsource.com. You are welcome to share it, as long as you mention our website as the original source of the data / research.

http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/crossbow-arrow-drop-charted-test-results/

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse RB but that sucker is LOUD. You can and should do better.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

Hope I'm not beating a dead horse RB but that sucker is LOUD. You can and should do better.

Like I said, I'll let you know after I shoot them ... hoping to make it to my local dealer one afternoon this week. I'm not obligated to buy it. I put $200 down to have him hold it because it was his last one and he said they are flying out of his shop and Ravin can't tell him when he'll get his next shipment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An illuminated Swarovski would make a nice upgrade on the Raven bow. It is fairly accurate out to 100 or 125 yards. Of course that depends a lot on the wind direction and any obstacles between you and your target.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M

Agreed! Hell, I might check into a Swarovski!

After using a number of really good scope and at least like like number of lower end scopes on my rifles and testing almost all of the offerings for crossbows, here's they way it shakes out for me.

What I need out of a crossbow scope scope is not just good enough to show me a deer because with an arrow you have to target the internal organ(s). Even when you are just trying to double lung Bambi, you are still working close enough to the shoulder bones that you need to be sure to avoid them, you still want both lungs well hit and you still want to avoid the shoulder bones on the off side to be sure you get two holes in Bambi to make for the best chance at a good blood trail. Put the shot a little far back on a deer angled toward you and you might well get a small part of one lung only and then exit out through the diaphragm and through the abdominal cavity on the way out. So that exit wound may well be plugged completely by the omentum which is why that organ is there. It's no secret that deer love acorns. It's no secret that oaks, and in particular red oaks hold their leaves and keep a heavy canopy through deer season. Because of their growth habit of sparse canopy down low, oaks leave a niche for bush like hazel, buckthorn and sumac under them. That can make for a very dark ground floor. I do not need a lot of magnification. Because the string is held under very high poundage even with compound crossbows, just the noise of the trigger releasing is louder than a lot of vertical bows total noise output for the entire shot. If Bambi can jump the string at 20-30 yards with my No Cam which is as quiet as any bow I shoot alongside, it's unreasonable to believe they cannot manage the same with a 400 FPS crossbow.. So, range doesn't change for me at all with the crossbow even though I can be far more accurate and carry more power much further with the crossbow.

Most crossbow scopes are just rebadged low end rifle scopes with poor to completely unacceptable low light performance. That's the one most critical requirement for me. Second is a decent reticle that shows me my target rather than obscures it with circles or heavy crosshairs or illumination that swamps out the target.. Very clear edge to edge image and good depth of field are very important to seeing clearly the angle of the body. If a scope under 4x has insufficient field of view there is no way that scope merits consideration for any use.

For my purposes, I don't need more than 4x magnification out of a crossbow scope. For the most part 2 1/2 or 3x is plenty. Weight is just not a consideration, I am not going to carry it a lot, nor is snap shooting a likelihood.

I have a VX-3 Leupold 1-4x20 that meets all the requirements but for the low light performance which is abysmal compared to the Duralyt, so, a quality scope alone just isn't enough for this job.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
RB
Save your money and buy a Center Point Sniper 370. Read all the reviews on the different web sites.It is compared to a Ten Point crossbow in the $1000 range, but costs around $260. I have had the trigger adjusted for around $80. This is my second cross bow first being a Excalibur. You want to talk noisy go shoot the Excalibur.I have No complaints with the sniper 370

Last edited by Troy66; 05/10/17.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
you crossbow is really nice, never thought of buying one before because i think they take too long to reload. but now i am considering it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Troy66
RB
Save your money and buy a Center Point Sniper 370. Read all the reviews on the different web sites.It is compared to a Ten Point crossbow in the $1000 range, but costs around $260. I have had the trigger adjusted for around $80. This is my second cross bow first being a Excalibur. You want to talk noisy go shoot the Excalibur.I have No complaints with the sniper 370

Sold my $1200.00 Ten Point as the Center Point Sniper 370 simply beat the snot out of it in all areas. Need I say more ?

Under an inch at 35 yards.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 49 invisible), 2,284 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,095
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.