Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Good afternoon,

A few buddies and I were having beers the other night and the topic of South Africans coming to the US was discussed. Evidently, they are working in some of the feedlots and are very well-received.

My best friend's family farms 6,000 acres in Kansas and they could use an extra hand. If there is a gentleman from RSA (or Zim and other countries) who is possibly looking to work in agriculture in the US, this might be a good lead. They need someone who can currently drive a tractor and learn to run a combine. They would be able to provide housing and a work vehicle.

This would be a great opportunity for the right guy.

PM with any leads, please.

Thanks!

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
And you can't find an American to do the job?

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Oh, they'll show-up, realize it's real work and say, "Screw it." Or they'll show-up all screwed-up on meth. It's rural and those that are worth a darn are already working and those that aren't are on the gov't tit, passed-out drunk, or strung-out on God knows what and don't want to give that up!

There is a reason Hispanic workers dominate a lot of ag jobs and oilfield jobs. You obviously aren't in the part of the world to see how some of this stuff works. It's downright depressing.

Last edited by kscowboy01; 05/13/17.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by kscowboy01
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Oh, they'll show-up, realize it's real work and say, "Screw it." Or they'll show-up all screwed-up on meth. It's rural and those that are worth a darn are already working and those that aren't are on the gov't tit, passed-out drunk, or strung-out on God knows what and don't want to give that up!

the fact is we American damn straight lazy and cant handle these kinda jobs...most time you can only find ex cons who no one else will give jobs doing this kinda work...if the SA's can come in and do this then i think its a good look, after all Americans travel to other countries for jobs and opportunity, you don't see anyone crying about that.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Load of dung. Americans are willing to work, but we need livable wages.

I run an Stoper and jackleg drill for a living and I'm an American. Fell timber in the NW as a kid and young 20'something.

I would welcome anyone calling Americans lazy to come with me for a day and go rock bolt up a raise in an underground metal mine or get a job falling some timber and traversing some steel mountainsides with you saw and oil and gas on you back.

Not everyone is on meth or an drunk.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I would have done back flips to your friends farm 30 years ago. Farming and logging were the best jobs I ever had. Dam near starve doing those jobs around here though.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Do you fully understand what it takes to bring such an employee here permanently?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by EdM
Do you fully understand what it takes to bring such an employee here permanently?

Nobody said anything about them coming here permanently.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by huntsman1k
Originally Posted by EdM

Nobody said anything about them coming here permanently.

Or otherwise?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
Load of dung. Americans are willing to work, but we need livable wages.

I run an Stoper and jackleg drill for a living and I'm an American. Fell timber in the NW as a kid and young 20'something.

I would welcome anyone calling Americans lazy to come with me for a day and go rock bolt up a raise in an underground metal mine or get a job falling some timber and traversing some steel mountainsides with you saw and oil and gas on you back.

Not everyone is on meth or an drunk.

+1

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
+2 The old Americans won't do this job so we need to bring in someone else to do it line. Translations lots of Americans will do the job for the right pay but we'd rather find someone (illegal or otherwise) who'll do it for a non livable dirt cheap wage.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The town I live near is having a hard time getting people to work too. Plus the state has had an influx of crime due to the Balken oil field. Mostly drugs, but sadly murder too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I've heard the story plenty from employers. It can be tough finding people who can consistently pass a pee test and show up on time reliably.

Living wage is great, but we need entry level jobs. People can learn to work, and from there move up in the world. Employers want people with experience and a reference. Must have a place to start.

Lastly, one way to bring in someone from RSA is to place an add saying you need some who speaks Afrikaans. You plan to export to RSA.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well understand also that where most of the feedlots are in Kansas there isn't much of a labor force and the wages are not as good as the competing meat packing plants in those areas. Now I'm not sure why one would solicit RSA for potential employees but maybe I'm missing something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mittenman
+2 The old Americans won't do this job so we need to bring in someone else to do it line. Translations lots of Americans will do the job for the right pay but we'd rather find someone (illegal or otherwise) who'll do it for a non livable dirt cheap wage.

That's economics. It's not like a family farm has a huge margin to work with.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
i will have to agree with the OP, Arnold Schwarzenegger was from Austrian, today we all know who is. people coming here to work is not new and not bad.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by hatari

Economics dictates supply and demand. If you can't find good help for what you want to pay than you're not paying enough. If you pay what the market dictates for good help you can find good help. The old adage that you get what you pay for. If you're paying a wage that attracts nothing but drunks and druggies, you need to compete with other employers and pay what the market demands for hardworking employees with there heads on straight.

Last edited by Mittenman; 05/17/17.
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G

I've heard the story plenty from employers. It can be tough finding people who can consistently pass a pee test and show up on time reliably.

Living wage is great, but we need entry level jobs. People can learn to work, and from there move up in the world. Employers want people with experience and a reference. Must have a place to start.

Lastly, one way to bring in someone from RSA is to place an add saying you need some who speaks Afrikaans. You plan to export to RSA.

most young people i know just want a white collar job and that's the only reason they go to school. and when such jobs don't come through they turn to crime because of the social medial and celebrity brainwashing that is on their head...but it will be nice to see able young men and women get a honest paying job and agriculture is a gold mine for them but since its not fancy its a no no, lets for get the issue about being lazy or not. its not a fancy job and they can't brag about so it a no no for most youngsters.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Economics dictates supply and demand. If you can't find good help for what you want to pay than you're not paying enough. If you pay what the market dictates for good help you can find good help. The old adage that you get what you pay for. If you're paying a wage that attracts nothing but drunks and druggies, you need to compete with other employers and pay what the market demands for hardworking employees with there heads on straight.

All true. Thing about AG business is you get what you get for a bushel of wheat. Tough to pass along the increase cost of labor on a small scale.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

the simple answer is they literally can't afford to pay for a better qualified harder working employee. local milk processing facility can offer better wages, 8 hour shifts, as well as benefits... only thing a farmer can provide that the processor can't is fresh air and less co-workers.

i think that my brother-in-laws boss has realized something else too, hire employees from out of the area. it isn't always feasible but if someone is willing to move 3-4+hours away to work for you they are coming to WORK, a lot of the low skill jobs that end up having people filter through them by the week/month/quarter someone is showing up for a paycheck.

often those willing to move far away from home and be reliable are foreign employees.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (007FJ, 204guy, 1936M71, 222ND, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,308 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,073
Posts18,482,628
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.