Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Wow you weren't kidding that was one fugly stock. Came out nice.

I have had minor success with spirit stains. You have to wipe it on and then off multiple times to get any staining and to avoid streaks. Then a tinted finish over that.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

S
S
Actually, I used a spirit stain but instead of wiping it off after applying, I did the opposite: I applied a generous amount of stain, immediatejy grabbed a piece of 220 grit sandpaper and vigorously rubbed in the stain. Only after the whole stock was treated this way all over, did I wipe off the excess, let it dry for an hour and repeated the process. 3-4 times of that, a 24 hours wait, a light sanding and then a few coats of boiled linoil thinned with turpentine, letting it sitt for a minute between every coat before wiping off the excess and finally thick boiled linoil in the same manner, only instead of wiping I rubbed it hard with the rag when taking the excess off and let it sit an hour before applying the next coat instead of a minute. Lastly, a few hours after the last coat of linoil, I took a clean soft rag and really rubbed it to a nice satin sheen. I could have continued vith coatings and polished more, but I did not want it shiny. If I did, lacquering might have been an option too.

S
S
Originally Posted by ScorpioFIN
This thread is ages old, but I'll add my 2 cents anyway...

When I first got it, my Feinwerkbau 601 RT was ugly as f... I mean duck. Something had to be done, so I came up with this. Be gentle with me, this is the first time ever I have attempted to do something to a rifle stock.

I don't know how to embed images, so here's a link to the folder with some pictures of the process. They are not in chronological order.

Feinwerkbau

I figured out how to embed images, so I post a few "before/after"-pics here so there's no need to go and browse all those pics in Dropbox.

Here it is as It was when I got it:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And this is how she turned out:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
S
I might be resurrecting a zombie thread here, but just in case someone is interested... The laminated stock is not so impossible after all. Here's a couple of examples I have made since the picture above:

[Linked Image]

Both of the FWBs in the picture were in the same condition as the RT above. A lot of work, but doable. The beauty is in the watcher's eye, but I like 'em like this smile

Last edited by ScorpioFIN; 11/10/17.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

323 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 48 invisible), 2,519 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,686
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.