Hop To
Page 23 of 23 1 2 21 22 23
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
Originally Posted by HonestJohn
I had to get a new ID for this one, as I don't want to tarnish my reputation. Haha. About 35 years ago I was very much into horses. I rode all the time, trail, shows, and even a few rodeos. I wasn't especially a talented horseman, but I had the best little horse in my part of the country, and she took care of me. One night a buddy and myself had been to a team roping in Paris, TN. Some of the other guys there suggested that we stop in at Hank's Place on our way back home. Hank's Place was a nightspot in Paris opened up by Hank Williams Jr., who was a nearby resident. We had just pulled our truck and horse trailer into the parking lot and got out, when 2 girls got came running towards us. One of them, a very hot little blonde, said "hot damn, I see the closet thing I've seen of a cowboy since I left Oklahoma". I didn't really consider myself to be a cowboy, but I guess I was dressed the part, in boots and jeans. We introduced ourselves, and turns out she was a 19 year old aspiring country singer, who was doing a gig there at Hank's, as well as also In Nashville, when she could find one. We went in, had a few drinks and dances, and she and I really hit it off. She said let's go out and ride your horse, but when we got outside in my truck, we did another kind of riding, if you catch my drift. Very good "riding" too, as she was a very enthusiastic rider. Well, I went to see her in Paris again a few weeks later, and afterwards found it hard to want to leave. Some time after that, I took my horses and met her at the nearby Land Between the Lakes and spent the day riding. Yes, actually horseback riding this time, plus a couple of other sessions of that other kind of "riding" that she was so good at. Now, she was starting to get to me, and I was so tore up about it that I couldn't eat or sleep. You see, I was married and 12 years older than she was, and I was beginning to feel very bad about what I was doing. She was pretty much a free spirit, getting by mostly on what her folks back home were sending her, as her singing gigs didn't pay much. I realized that all we really had in common was the sex we were having, and that to take things any further would be a huge mistake on my part, and probably cost me everything I was working to accomplish. So, I just walked away, and never contacted or saw her again, got my life back together, and am still married to the same woman. But, about 3 or 4 years afterwards, I'm watching TV one night and they're talking about the Country Music Association awards, and interviewing the different stars. Then I saw "her", one of the nominees for newest star, or something of the sort. She had changed her last name, but still looked very pretty, and turns out I'd been hearing her hit song on the radio and just didn't know who it was. Okay, to wind this up, she had a very nice career as a country singer, had several hit songs, and for several years was in the country music news quite a bit. I thought once or twice about trying to contact her, but thought it was better to let a sleeping dog lie. Anyway, I'm sure she didn't want to see me after the way I dumped her, and besides, she was married by that time. True story.

People who cheat on their spouses are among the lowest form of dogmeat in the world, in my opinion.

P

I'm far more bothered by the lack of paragraph breaks.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by JamesJr
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
He's bragging about it. "Very good riding" sure doesn't sound like remorse. He should be ashamed instead of wistful.

And yes, I have my failings, and God knows I have holes in me. Betrayal ain't one of them. And I'm sure as hell not going to brag about them on the internet.

P

To what end do you cast stones Pharmseller? Why did you choose to callout HonestJohn in judgment?

It took a while, but I went and read all the posts on this thread. A number of posters bragged about their sexual exploits, but HonestJohn was the only one to give a detailed report on his, and admit that he was married when he did it. I call myself a Christian, and will be the first one to tell you that I have to work very hard at being one, and still feel that I come up short a lot. I don't condone one cheating on one's spouse, partly from a trust issue, and partly from the fact that it goes against God's law. But I also believe that we can be forgiven of our sins, and it seems to me that John had realized his mistake and hopefully has repented his sins. As far his giving us a more detailed description of his experience than the others, I rather enjoyed the story, even if I didn't agree with what he was doing.....providing he actually did it, and didn't just dream it up.

Great story Honest John.... I enjoyed the read....I do not judge people like some of the Hypocrites on here.....How about You give us Her First Name or a Something? So we can get the whole picture!!!!!!!!! blush

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by muffin
Back when flying charter had 'Slammin' Sam Snead as my only passenger..............

I'm not a golfer but that's KOOL beans.

Jerry

Back in the 1940s when I was a kid delivering newspapers in Toledo, Ohio, one person on my route was Gene Sarazen's daughter. He seemed to be around often and many times paid me for the papers.

At that time, I knew next to nothing about golf except that Frank Stranahan, who never turned pro since his family was wealthy from owning Champion Spark Plug, lived a few doors away in a more upscale neighborhood, whereas we lived close to the university where my Dad worked. As a teacher, he had no interest in golf.

Possibly for that reason, we never paid attention to the fact that the golf pro at Inverness, a short distance away, was Byron Nelson in those days. Man, the lessons we could have had!

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]
The First Punic War (264 to 241 BC) was the first of three wars fought between Ancient Carthage and the Roman Republic. For more than 20 years,
the two powers struggled for supremacy, primarily on the Mediterranean island of Sicily and its surrounding waters, and also in North Africa. The war
signaled the beginning of a strategic transformation in the western Mediterranean. Carthage began the war as the great sea-power of the western
Mediterranean, while Rome had but a small fleet of fighting ships.[2] Over the course of the war, Rome built up a powerful navy, developed new naval
tactics, and strategically used their navy, army, and local political alliances on Sicily in order to achieve a victory that expelled the Carthaginians from
Sicily. The First Punic War ended with a treaty between Rome and Carthage, but years of bloodshed were to follow in the Second and Third Punic
Wars before the strategic issue of power in the western Mediterranean was resolved in favor of Rome, and in the total destruction of Carthage.

[Linked Image]

Back in the early 1980s I was flying co-pilot with my HMM-264 Black Knights Squadron CO Lieutenant Colonel William A. Beebe II., a Vietnam War recipient of the Silver Star (with Valor) and the Distinguished Flying Cross. He also happened to be a Roman History buff. We were getting ready to do some amphibious landing training with the Tunisian Army and were out flying a reconnoiter mission over the coast of Tunisia. It was at this time that the skipper started talking about the history of the Punic War and the Roman battles against the Carthaginians. As we were flying low over the landscape he started pointing out a battle field below us, and informed the crew we were going to land and take a look around. Before you knew it, we landed in the middle of nowhere in the desert of Tunisia, shutdown, and as we climbed out of the aircraft, Col Beebe grabbed his coin detector. We wandered around the site for about and hour and he found several Roman coins, WW2 rifle shell casing and other paraphernalia. Very Cool! How many other people have ever done that?

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Thats pretty damn cool.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Planned and synchronized Theater-level sustainment operations in the CENTCOM AOR.

Last edited by ExpatFromOK; 05/12/17.

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pretty amazing thread.

Most unique thing I've done in my mostly run of the mill life was wrestle with an injured doe at 14. Had her out of the woods still alive 2 hours later. Bruised up, exhausted and feeling pretty rotten about the whole experience.

Last edited by rrroae; 05/12/17.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
x

Last edited by kamo_gari; 05/14/17.
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
i can use my tongues to touch my nose.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Re tasked a DOD satellite to get some imagery that we needed ASAP. Lots of hoops to jump through to make that happen. Before we had drones.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I saw a doe tree a bobcat. Easter Sierra just outside Mammoth Lakes, CA. We were driving to an area we wanted to hunt, saw about 4 does and a couple fawns. 100 yards past we see what looks like a solo doe spinning around or something then bolts out of the brush hot on the tail of a bobcat. The bobcat is heading for the nearest tree. They ran behind us about 20 feet off my rear bumper crossed the road and the bobcat goes up the tree. She circles the tree stamping her hooves looking up in the tree then her fawn runs up to her, she runs her fawn off and goes back to circling the tree. We watched for a couple minutes then drove away.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Drove a semi with 44'long 13'high van over Logan pass in GNP. Got a ticket, but I made it. Late '70's.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thirty seven years ago today, Mount St Helens dropped a whole lot of crap on my head. The fear and uncertainty of that day has never been seen since.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Caught a deer, with my bare hands and carried it home.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Page 23 of 23 1 2 21 22 23

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 16 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 867 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,290
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.