Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
257_Roy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello Borthers and Sisters....

Most importantly I wanted to drop in and say "hi" to those that were my pals way back when (including the infamous "Isaac"- hello Bob, how the heck are ya?!??). Hello? Check in with "how are you".

From my end, dad (previously of infants, now of teenagers that stare me in the eye). Kids are fantastic and beyond. They've already far exceeded anything this now older fella has ever done. I'm proud of all of them, and very surprising, all of them for very different things. My oldest is just a solid all around guy. He has the same enthusiastic "yeah!" No matter if I'm asking him to go to the grocery store or if he wants to go hit a bucket (at the golf range). Great kid, smarter then his grades would indicate, and I hope that I'm not holding him back. Middle son, very close to the best baseball player I've ever seen at his age (would be if I could accurately recall my youth at this point...or maybe not?). The child just has it all. Fields it like vizqual, hits it like prime Jeter, and runs like there's a fat lady chasing him, lol! At this point I'll be surprised if his low end is D1 baseball. As a football coach (yeah, I know, no bearing on baseball), I've yet to coach a kid with his talent for the level he plays against. I'll be shocked if he doesn't end up playing well beyond high school at this point. The little guy is still only five (what a pleasant surprise, were too old for this now!!) but he is my little buddy in everything I do. Whether it's going to the range (driving or shooting), playing a round of golf, or me being soft by letting him watch cartoons in the AM if he wants. In short I've become a big softy.

That said my love of golf has now trumped my hunting and fishing (sorry for the blasphemy but it's true). Anyone else here love smacking that little white ball around? I've foUnd a game where I can play competitively at my age. I love to compete. I can still hit it the way I was able to in my youth. There is some serious tech now involved but I can't shoot a tight group anymore on the shooting range. I still love everything outdoors but where I live it's tough to hunt much here. The grounds we grew up owning have since been sold off to the highest bidder. I'd love to be out there. I just have nowhere to go without paying through the teeth. I've switched to the only sport that I can still do good in, although my heart is very heavy. I've impressed on my kids a love for each. We've spent more time living off the land then we have golfing. But there is only one way forward, and while I'll always maintain my love of the outdoors, and shooting anything that looks tasty on sight, we've pretty much went another route.

I have no real point here. I just wanted to say howdy to those that I've previously shared a virtual 'fire with. So if you want, drop a line. I'll read them all, and if needed, I'll reminisce about old time. So howdy, feel free to state whatever you'd like. I miss the camrederie here. I hope all my old friends are doing great.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Redistribute my work ethic, not my Wealth!!!!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Roy, nice to see you on here again sir. Sounds like your family is doing well, and although it's hard for an old hunter to pull back from an activity he loves, I'm glad you found an activity to fuel your competitive fire. I never picked up the sticks seriously. When I did golf, I'd be deadly if every hole went out about 70 yards and did a dead right hand turn, because that's where all my shots went. I swear if I could have kept the ball up in the air long enough, it would have come around and hit me in the back of the head. Good luck with your game sir, and thanks for dropping by.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Love to watch the 'majors', but despise playing the game.. Don't have the patience for it, nor the time to waste trying to get better.. Left it 25 years ago and don't miss it..

Good to see you here sir, and nice to learn the family's doing well... Very best wishes from this end. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like to hit golf balls, but don't care about going to find them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've always been of the opinion that a golf course is a waste of a good rifle range, but thats just my opinion............ smile

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B2

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Welcome back!

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I play and love it. Golf is also usful for estimating range in the field for hunting.

"Hmm, that buck looks to be about 5 iron away"

Translation: 175 yards. smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I stopped hunting a long time ago. I don't shoot any more, either. My two current loves are golf and fishing.

For the first time ever, I bought a season pass at my local club, and try to play at least twice a week. Funny thing: if you play more, your game improves. I still walk the course, too. I get around in under three hours unless I'm behind slow groups.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Golf is the best game/sport ever invented. It tickles the same part of the brain that archery does. Watching a projectile move towards a target is something that is inherently addictive.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
At one point in my life the game consumed me...have been away for a few years but now my boys are coming of age are showing interest...I think it will consume me again!

Honorary Gouger per Travis
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well Hello! Nice to hear from you!

I like golf. Like watching the majors and I like hitting a bucket of balls. However, that's where it ends for me. I'm not good at all. Nor do I have the patients to learn to play.

Camp is where you make it.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I love golf and regularly swear to never play again (following a disastrous game). But then, the game calls and hope springs eternal (I play 2-3 times per week and work part-time at a 27-hole golf course). Last week, following some pretty bad shots and penalties for loosing the ball, I thought about quitting golf and taking up Miniature Golf; certainly it might be easier to get the ball into Chuckles the Clown's mouth and through the blades of the windmill. Yesterday, I played the 9 hole course and did OK, until I reached the 150 yard 9th hole and the island green!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Back in the 1990s I was golf obsessed. I was scoring in the low 80s pretty regularly. Haven't played much since about 2001.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Golf courses offer great bass fishing. other than that, meh. When I was 15 I drove the cart picking up range balls, hit thousands of golf balls. Could crush it just shabby short game. Played twice since high school. Don't miss it

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'd be playing right now if it hadn't snowed last night. Freakish late storm, but it sure did. 36° as I type this.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I can't get enough of the game. We are able to play year round , as long as there isn't snow on the ground. We are lucky that we live in a small town with a nice 9 hole course that allows you to own your own cart. We have a 2013 Yamaha Cart with fuel injection plus a full canvas cover AND a propane heater. Pretty sweet when it is 30*. It cost $10/mo to rent a cart shed at the course. I can leave work and be on the first tee in 10 min. I play to a 11.2 GHIN.Maybe one day I will get down into the single digits. It helps that my wife plays as well. We play in a handful of couple outings a year so that is something that keeps us active together.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Saving golf and religion for when I get to old to do fun stuff.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why golf when there is sporting clays?
You get the exercise (unless you rent a golf cart) and a nice walk through the woods and you get to make noise and break things.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Wife and I took up golf late in life (40ish). As such I don't think I'll ever get really good as if I had developed that muscle memory as a kid. Never the less we loved it and spent many happy times on the course. Lots of happy evenings after work playing till dark and stopping by the local restaurant on the way home for a evening breakfast . Unfortunately haven't been able to play the past couple of years due to wife's health.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I am on my third go-round with golf. First was when I was in high school and college. Then I thought that the object of the game was to disintegrate the ball. Having no knowledge of what I was doing, my scores varied wildly, and my level of frustration was often extreme. Early years of marriage kept me away from the game (and I sold my McGregor Jack Nicklaus clubs). Eventually, I was drawn back into the game by a friend. Eventually, the old lack of knowledge set in with the accompanying frustration. When my son became involved in organized sports and shooting, hunting, and fishing, the time was better spent in that direction. Now that I am old and useless, I have had the time to actually learn a bit about how the game is to be played. The aforementioned son and my old teaching partner have been the culprits in my re-rebirth. At long last, I have also learned to play within myself and appreciate just being able to be out and following the ball. (Amazingly, I am better (not good) than I ever was in my younger days.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

271 members (21, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 27 invisible), 1,761 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,492,998
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.