Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So a little while back I got rear ended by an lady who was borrowing a car.
Neither her or the car owner was insured. My insurance will not cover any of this and told me it was up to me to
get the money from her, as I just have liability(old truck).
My truck is essentially totaled, the damage she did exceeds the value of the truck, bent frame.
I have the police report and she was cited for careless driving, and a number of other things. She hit me in
a very well marked construction zone and did not hit the breaks and rear ended my truck doing probably 60MPH
I'm still driving the truck as I have no other choice, I know I can win a judgment against her, but i have to take her and the owner
to court I'm sure I will never collect anything from her. And we cannot track down the registered owner of the car
Then I find out she has filed bankruptcy, so I cannot even lean against her house.
Any Suggestions?

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It sucks. Thank goodness you were not injured in the accident. Trucks can replaced. I'm in the same boat---I drive old vehicles. They get wrecked, junk them & got find another.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't waste your time and move on. It will cost you more to collect than it's worth. Can you have the frame straightened and just keep on driving it? Happened to my sons truck, it only cost us $400 for the frame and few hours beating out dents. Guy that hit him had no money and was a deadbeat.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hard to dig a well in rock

As others have noted thank your lucky stars you weren't injured. 60 mph hitting you in the azz??? Lucky indeed

If you can call being out a truck lucky?

Yep you can in this instance. Sorry it happened. Glad you're ok

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I usually like to burn their house down in this type of situation. Or snowmobiles.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Don't waste your time and move on. It will cost you more to collect than it's worth. Can you have the frame straightened and just keep on driving it? Happened to my sons truck, it only cost us $400 for the frame and few hours beating out dents. Guy that hit him had no money and was a deadbeat.

Problem is I have no money at this point, still dealing with Ex wife and draining me, I've never been this broke and it scares the hell out of me, but as summer comes I need to be able to tow with my job, and at this point cannont. I'm going to try to pull the bed and see if I can weld a piece of channel Iron in and rebuild a receiver hitch, so at least I can work.

Originally Posted by colorado bob
It sucks. Thank goodness you were not injured in the accident. Trucks can replaced. I'm in the same boat---I drive old vehicles. They get wrecked, junk them & got find another.

Luckly we were not injured the damage to her car was unbelievable that she was not killed, she was in an 91 Toyota corolla and by receiver hitch ripped the head of the engine of her car and my bumper stopped about 6 inches from her windshield. When it happened I thought my foot slipped off the clutch i moved about 2 feet forward, but my truck weighs around 7000Lbs.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You didn't pay for uninsured motorist or is that unavailable in your state? Very little to add to your policy in Texas.

Last edited by hanco; 05/18/17.
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Laws are on the books, I would assume everywhere. No insurance, should be post bail, inpound said vehicle and so forth.

I am going to profile here, every time I see a vehicle full of illegals headed to a job site, with a cracked windshield or some other safety violation I am extra leery. I never see the cops stopping them.

I highly doubt they are insured.

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
nothin else you can do man, its like suing a homeless guy, nothing will come out of it.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by WyoCowboy
So a little while back I got rear ended by an lady who was borrowing a car.
Neither her or the car owner was insured. My insurance will not cover any of this and told me it was up to me to
get the money from her, as I just have liability(old truck).
My truck is essentially totaled, the damage she did exceeds the value of the truck, bent frame.
I have the police report and she was cited for careless driving, and a number of other things. She hit me in
a very well marked construction zone and did not hit the breaks and rear ended my truck doing probably 60MPH
I'm still driving the truck as I have no other choice, I know I can win a judgment against her, but i have to take her and the owner
to court I'm sure I will never collect anything from her. And we cannot track down the registered owner of the car
Then I find out she has filed bankruptcy, so I cannot even lean against her house.
Any Suggestions?

Join the club. And it was a DUI driver at that, in my case. The driver was court ordered to pay me restitution. That was 4 years ago.For the record, Fremont county Victims Assistance did squat, zero. Their office exists to look good, on taxpayers' dime.

Last edited by Wyogal; 05/17/17.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why would one buy car insurance and not include "uninsured driver?"
Never do that, now you know why.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 700LH
Why would one buy car insurance and not include "uninsured driver?"
Never do that, now you know why.

This is #1 ^
#2 you said you don't know the registered owners location. The person who loaned the car to the lady that hit you is not the owner!

Fined that person, file a lawsuit against them. That's what an insurance co would do and a lawyer working the case. You got that--find the registered owner period.

Last edited by Wtxj; 05/17/17.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You could file it yourself. There's a chance they won't show up. That judgment will be on there 10 years. That's 10 years without being able to close a real estate deal or get a loan.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We live right next to the Wind River Indian Reservation. Many, many of those people out there are driving while under suspension all the while being chemically impaired and without a sign of insurance. I have ALWAYS carried Uninsured Motorist insurance on all my vehicles.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by DryPowder
You could file it yourself. There's a chance they won't show up. That judgment will be on there 10 years. That's 10 years without being able to close a real estate deal or get a loan.

And that'll get him exactly nothing.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by tzone
I usually like to burn their house down in this type of situation. Or snowmobiles.
I like it!

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Consider this situation when you come up against those who, in the interest of personal freedom, insist that insurance should not be required in order to drive. I suspect what they are actually looking for is freedom from personal responsibility.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by tzone
I like it!

Me too!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If your insurance company is worth two grains of salt they will assist you with a subrogation claim. Ask them..

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by hanco
You dint pay for uninsured motorist or is that unavailable in your state? Very little to add to your policy in Texas.

First thing I thought of when reading the OP. I don't pay a lot of attention to all the lawyer mumbo jumbo that comes with policies, but I do know I have underinsured/uninsured coverage added to my policy.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

705 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,859 guests, and 1,469 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,731
Posts18,475,935
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.