Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#12033370 - 05/15/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,924
RickyBobby Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickyBobby  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,924
... can't get enough of this thing! Out back flingin some arrows this morning.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was @ 30yds. They all hit my mark except the top one was low. Keep in mind I've only shot about a dozen arrows through it up until here so I'm still getting the feel for everything. Black dots on my target are about 2 1/2" big. I'll definitely get better with it the more I shoot it. I really like it so far! Kinda fun compared to my regular compound ... lol. My goal is to be confident shooting freehand out to 40 or 50yds and possibly stretching it to 65 or 75yds off a rest of some sort, hopefully by the time archery season comes in this fall.


==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
RV 728 BP
#12033467 - 05/15/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2,852
AH64guy Offline
Campfire Guide
AH64guy  Offline
Campfire Guide

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2,852
North VA
Nice shooting!

I got to handle a Raven on Saturday, it's a very compact package. The LOP wasn't as bad/short as I had expected for the stock, but I'd need to run the forearm piece further up the rail.

Do you find that you need to brace the front of the bow when you cock it? I'm used to the stirrup, without it, you're bracing on the pads on the front of the limbs?

#12033556 - 05/15/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: AH64guy]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,924
RickyBobby Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickyBobby  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,924
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Nice shooting!

I got to handle a Raven on Saturday, it's a very compact package. The LOP wasn't as bad/short as I had expected for the stock, but I'd need to run the forearm piece further up the rail.

Do you find that you need to brace the front of the bow when you cock it? I'm used to the stirrup, without it, you're bracing on the pads on the front of the limbs?



Until I know of a better way ... I've been resting it on the pads on front of limbs when cocking. I see no real issue with that but I'm just a 1st time xbow owner. Lol. I think a person would have to get pretty rough with it to cause an issue there. My dealer wasn't hesitant about doing it either when I demoed it. I'm open to suggestions though.

Between the integrated and very simple crank system, the awesome trigger, and the way this thing just handles in general ... I was impressed! But again, it's my 1st crossbow. Still not sure about the optics but they aren't a deal breaker. They're useable for sure.


==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
#12035173 - 05/16/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2,852
AH64guy Offline
Campfire Guide
AH64guy  Offline
Campfire Guide

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2,852
North VA
I don't think you are doing it wrong, just a question coming from limited past experiences in a treestand using a crank.

A couple of crossbows have been a PITA to recock in the stand. My experience with a couple of different cranks was that the nose of the bow had to braced "someplace" and usually standing up was the easiest. I've tried just sticking my boot in the stirrup while sitting, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped.

In our deer management areas in urban archery seasons, we'll see deer in groups, and especially does with yearlings. If you can get the doe down, the yearlings will usually hang around, or come back to the area if they spook a bit. A quick reload has resulted in more than one deer down in the same sit.

If the crank system is a PITA, you end up standing and cranking to reload, making more movement, more noise, etc. A buddy had an upper end 10 Point, the crank was pretty easy to run, but it a noisy clicker that ratcheted the line back into the spool. I tried a crank on my Carbon Express, it felt like I was flopping around, without standing up.

#12035388 - 05/16/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: AH64guy]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,924
RickyBobby Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickyBobby  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,924
Originally Posted by AH64guy
I don't think you are doing it wrong, just a question coming from limited past experiences in a treestand using a crank.

A couple of crossbows have been a PITA to recock in the stand. My experience with a couple of different cranks was that the nose of the bow had to braced "someplace" and usually standing up was the easiest. I've tried just sticking my boot in the stirrup while sitting, but it didn't work as well as I'd hoped.

In our deer management areas in urban archery seasons, we'll see deer in groups, and especially does with yearlings. If you can get the doe down, the yearlings will usually hang around, or come back to the area if they spook a bit. A quick reload has resulted in more than one deer down in the same sit.

If the crank system is a PITA, you end up standing and cranking to reload, making more movement, more noise, etc. A buddy had an upper end 10 Point, the crank was pretty easy to run, but it a noisy clicker that ratcheted the line back into the spool. I tried a crank on my Carbon Express, it felt like I was flopping around, without standing up.



You can push in on the button that releases the crank system, and while cranking, the clicking noise is non-existent on the Ravin. Hopefully that made sense! Lol. It is a nice option for doing a reload in a tree stand I would think. Also, I wouldn't see any issue of not being able to reload while sitting down in a tree stand.


==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
#12037176 - 05/17/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2,852
AH64guy Offline
Campfire Guide
AH64guy  Offline
Campfire Guide

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2,852
North VA
Thanks - The narrow profile of the bow would be the cat's meow for sitting reload.

#12037639 - 05/17/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 82
goldroger Offline
Member
goldroger  Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 82
Iowa City, IA
Op got a very nice crossbow, been looking to pick one up but a little twisted with choice but this seems really convincing.

#12037642 - 05/17/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 82
goldroger Offline
Member
goldroger  Offline
Member

Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 82
Iowa City, IA
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
... can't get enough of this thing! Out back flingin some arrows this morning.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was @ 30yds. They all hit my mark except the top one was low. Keep in mind I've only shot about a dozen arrows through it up until here so I'm still getting the feel for everything. Black dots on my target are about 2 1/2" big. I'll definitely get better with it the more I shoot it. I really like it so far! Kinda fun compared to my regular compound ... lol. My goal is to be confident shooting freehand out to 40 or 50yds and possibly stretching it to 65 or 75yds off a rest of some sort, hopefully by the time archery season comes in this fall.




really nice, i bet it cost top $$$

#12037831 - 05/17/17 Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: goldroger]  
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,924
RickyBobby Offline
Campfire Ranger
RickyBobby  Offline
Campfire Ranger

Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1,924
Originally Posted by goldroger
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
... can't get enough of this thing! Out back flingin some arrows this morning.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was @ 30yds. They all hit my mark except the top one was low. Keep in mind I've only shot about a dozen arrows through it up until here so I'm still getting the feel for everything. Black dots on my target are about 2 1/2" big. I'll definitely get better with it the more I shoot it. I really like it so far! Kinda fun compared to my regular compound ... lol. My goal is to be confident shooting freehand out to 40 or 50yds and possibly stretching it to 65 or 75yds off a rest of some sort, hopefully by the time archery season comes in this fall.




really nice, i bet it cost top $$$



I'll be honest, I shot the R9 and its just as sweet! You're only giving up about 30 FPS by going with the R9 and you'd save a decent amount of money. Only reason I went with the R15 was because I have a couple really good ground blinds on fields where I might be tempted at a longer 50yd or 60yd shot "If" the right deer presents himself. Just thought the extra speed may help when hunting on the ground. Plus, I knew if it bought the R9 I'd always be wondering why I didn't go with the R15. Lol! It was pricey but I had a pretty good slush fund I had been saving up for this purchase.


==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
#12050862 - 9 minutes ago Re: My 1st crossbow [Re: RickyBobby]  
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 14,517
Savage_99 Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Savage_99  Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 14,517
My crossbow is lots of 'new' fun. With a lifetime of owning guns the xbow is something I can learn and shoot right here in the basement at night after dinner.

It makes NO noise and is fun!!


That the first shot from it's cold barrel from my C.F. hunting rifles hit where I want it at 200 yds is more important to me that what groups it may shoot at 100 yds!

My match rifles must shoot groups. We get sighting shots at matches!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin, SYSOP 

RV 180 2
OX 160 1
RBCN 160 3
Who's Online Now
460 registered members (257heaven, 260Remguy, 1911a1, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 1,201 guests, and 413 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
NMX 160









Copyright © 2000-2017 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0
Page Time: 0.067s Queries: 15 (0.004s) Memory: 0.9843 MB (Peak: 1.1830 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2017-05-24 04:03:14 UTC