Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12041208 05/18/17
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So the girl and dog got sprayed by a skunk,
Any suggestions?

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Hydrogen peroxide, put a quart of it in a bucket, mix in baking soda and a little Dawn soap. Lather the mutt up and let it sit for a few then rinse her off.

Good as new.

When you mix the stuff get it a little 'paste' like. My dog has been hit a few times and that has ALWAYS worked. Hell, the first time the dog was in are bed later that night. You couldn't tell.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Skunk-off.

http://www.thornell.com/product/skunk-off/

I keep it on hand.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by kingston
Skunk-off.

I keep it on hand.

It doesn't work as well as hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, but you do get to pay more for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Skunk-off.

I keep it on hand.

It doesn't work as well as hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, but you do get to pay more for it.

you must have different skunks. Skunk off has always worked better for us.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and dawn solution didn't work for me. I tried numerous remedies and Skunk-off outperformed the rest, hands down. The application was a big yellow lab and the interior of an SUV. It was a shït show..

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I moved to Alaska. smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
I moved to Alaska. smile

Did it work or can you still smell it?

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
smile. It worked cuz I haven't been sprayed in the last 50 years, nor have my dogs or kids.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Reminds me of something I read years ago in one of the sporting magazines.

The writer (Mannix?) related how his kids were out in the yard playing with their de-oderized pet skunk when the family dog came roaring around the corner of the house to join in the fun.

It wasn't their skunk.....

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Have not tried it. But a hunting guide I meet in North Dakota swears by Listerine mouth wash. He had a lab that loved skunks. Listerine in a spray bottle spray em down good. Let sit about ten minutes towel off. Repeat if necessary then rinse down with water.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Here's the link for the website of the chemist that invented the peroxide/baking soda/liquid soap recipe. It has the recipe and also explanations of why it works and things to watch out for in the FAQ section. Actually says that Dawn isn't the best choice of soap, but if it's all you have it probably works OK.

This method is cheap and made from easily obtainable ingredients. Skunk Off may not be locally available for everyone. I KNOW the peroxide recipe works. I have no experience with Skunk Off. I'll let you guys duke it out over which one works better. Skunk stink is a miserable problem to have. Good luck. Hope this helps someone out there.

http://home.earthlink.net/~skunkremedy/home/

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Get rid of damn dog! Problem solved

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by las

The writer (Mannix?) related how his kids were out in the yard playing with their de-oderized pet skunk when the family dog came roaring around the corner of the house to join in the fun.

That would be Patrick McManus - one of my favorites!

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do a web search you will find lots of variations on the peroxide/baking soda/detergent formula.
It works.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
Originally Posted by las

A friend had a de-oderized skunk when we grew up. Played lots of jokes on folks with that skunk. Chick magnet!!!

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I know the old thing of Tomato juice doesn't work. As a 12 year old I had a yellow lab that got into a skunk. My mom went and got a bunch of tomato juice and I had to bathe him. Ever seen a orange tinted yellow lab that still smelled like skunk?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
Originally Posted by las

A friend had a de-oderized skunk when we grew up. Played lots of jokes on folks with that skunk. Chick magnet!!!

College roommates grandfather had a fully oderized skunk when I was in college, he kept it in the house with his 2 rat terriers. He'd roll it around in the floor and attack it's belly like you would a cat, skunk would get up, stomp it's feet and act like it was going to spray. He'd shake his finger at it, and say, "don't you spray", then go back to rolling it around, damndest thing I've ever seen.

Only time it ever sprayed was when he took it to town in his truck and someone broke into his truck trying to steal something. Skunk got scared and let the attacker have it, then hid under the seat. The truck and its contents remained un-stolen.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and dawn solution didn't work for me. I tried numerous remedies and Skunk-off outperformed the rest, hands down. The application was a big yellow lab and the interior of an SUV. It was a shït show..

Some people would F7ck up toast.

I'm guessing the guy ain't got Skunk the [bleep] off in his closet nor can he get it at Dollar General at 7pm. I always have Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda in the house, regardless of skunks and I can get it at damn near any store at 8pm.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las

Daniel Mannix? He wrote some great stories

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,153
Posts18,484,272
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.