Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

We've been enjoying last years elk on grill emensely in hamberger form. Had the butcher add 15% beef fat to it. These rock. Got me thinking, what will be my go to burger when the freezer empties out?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Everyone has a favorite fast food burger, and while some hate them, we all need a burger on the run now and then. I guess my go to is Wendy's on the run. Not even close to homecooked, but it'll do. What's your go to franchise burger. when you are out and about?

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Krystal...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
from Central MS,

Wards.

Chain - 5 guys

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good Times is tops around these parts.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
In-N-Out but I have to drive to Dallas to find one.

Here in OK it would be Goldie's or Johnny's.

The burgers at Bulfalo Wild Wings are pretty darn good, too.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Culvers. Had one yesterday. Not bad for a fast food joint. My Favorite, though comes off my Char-Broil Grill. One pound Ground Venison and 1/2 lb 15-20& Ground Chuck. Mix together with a little liquid smoke and use Montreal Steak seasoning instead of salt or pepper.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hatari, Run up to Eastern Kentucky and shoot another Elk. Have the whole thing except the backstraps and loins made into burger meat. If you have a butcher do it, you know what to do.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Rib eye fat mixed with ground deer, here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Most of the greasy spoons around here beat chain burger joints. Most of the chains are okay if the right people are working-meaning they cook it according to their instructions and the thing hasn't been setting under the warmer too long. The ones right around here are more dependent on the above than the brand.

Gotta drive to Tulsa to get a Whataburger. They're the best chain.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know if they're a national chain or not, but I really like Fuddrucker's.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I don't know if they're a national chain or not, but I really like Fuddrucker's.
I'm pretty sure they are a national chain. They're around the Kansas City area. I've never set foot in one because the name is a turn-off. About like a local chain, "Buzzard's Pizza".

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
I haven't had a chain burger in so long I couldn't respond to that part of the question. We are very fortunate here in that there are at least five places in town that have outstanding burgers. The boys tell me, however, that the ones they get right here at home beat all...I blend half and half 15% fat ground chuck and 10% fat ground round, secret blend of spices (garlic powder, onion powder, ground coriander and black pepper) and cook to medium rare over charcoal.

Mathew 22: 37-39

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Freddy's for a fast food burger.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hogwild7

You must have a secret that I have never found. I am yet to have ground Whitetail come out tasty. I've tried a half dozen combos and finally gave up.

Jorge - if you feed me Krystal...this weekend and it's not 2 am after draining the MacCallan's,the groundhog under the barn isn't going to be the only endangered species! smile

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Survived on those during flight training. Love them. We have elk burgers on the menu for Friday night (I think) with VP's recipe. You won't be disappointed.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari

You must have a secret that I have never found. I am yet to have ground Whitetail come out tasty. I've tried a half dozen combos and finally gave up.

Jorge - if you feed me Krystal...this weekend and it's not 2 am after draining the MacCallan's,the groundhog under the barn isn't going to be the only endangered species! smile

THe local processor makes ground bacon cheesburger deer. Pretty god stuff. Doesnt dry out too bad

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I prefer my own Axis burgers but for a fast food burger I like a fast and cheap Whataburger!

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For fast food, we like Smashburger and Hardees. The fact they use real ice cream in their malts/shakes and Heinz ketchup is a big factor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Culvers

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
For a twist, does anybody have a spice recipe for burgers?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whataburger. Backyard Burger is not bad either.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Put
For a twist, does anybody have a spice recipe for burgers?

Put some Jack Miller's or Pig Stand BBQ sauce in the meat when you're making patties.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whopper from Burger King is the best of the chain stores. Ditto to homemade elk burger with 15% beef fat as the best of all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like home built burgers. Moose or beef stuffed with spinach and topped with melted blue cheese and mayo/bbq sauce.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
For any venison burger I have the local meat store add bacon right into the grind. It's their own "ends and pieces" from the stuff they smoke in-house and they grind in 3# of bacon for every 10# of venison. Everybody likes them. They taste great and they don't dry out. Mostly we grill them but if it's a raging blizzard or torrential downpour, they can be fried in cast-iron without adding any grease or oil.

For a quickie, Culver's is only 5 blocks away, and 5-guys is good with a little more time-planning.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are ever going through Hamilton, MT, get a beast burger from Napps. I've had a lot of burgers from a lot of places. and Napps burgers are amazing.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Do you grind it yourself? I have yet to have bad venison burger, but skip the beef fat for grinding, I use bacon.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
We only have sonic, DQ and Whataburger. Of those I prefer the Whataburger.

But we usually go to other places for burgers that are not chain.. WB used to be really good 35 years ago, its not so great anymore but works if we have to stop along the way out of town also...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Do you grind it yourself? I have yet to have bad venison burger, but skip the beef fat for grinding, I use bacon.

I've never had bad either. We just toss in a pork butt or picnics for pork and rock on...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Yeah, I've never understood using beef fat in venison. By the time beef fat 'melts' the venison is overcooked. Pork 'melts' at a lower temp.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not a fan of deer burgers, even with extra fat or bacon added. I have made it into breakfast sausage that I like, cooked bigger like a burger, or better yet use it in chili, spaghetti, taco meat, etc. I leave a lot in chunks to make stew meat out of, and would rather have a good stew than a burger. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
White Castle!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yeah, I've never understood using beef fat in venison. By the time beef fat 'melts' the venison is overcooked. Pork 'melts' at a lower temp.

Most wild game is WAY overcooked.... rare is about all we like, med rare is overdone but salvageable as needed....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The best burgers - by far- in my experience, have been those which we ate one year from an August moose. The sweet, milky smell of the fat was enough make your mouth water and the burgers, ground together with a nice helping of fat and seared over a wood fire, were to die for.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Everyone has a favorite fast food burger, and while some hate them, we all need a burger on the run now and then. I guess my go to is Wendy's on the run. Not even close to homecooked, but it'll do. What's your go to franchise burger. when you are out and about?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In n out

Deserve's got nuthin to do with it- Willam H Munny
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mom-n-Pop then Red Robin....

can't stand the chains that have the taste and texture of STEAMED Meat, WTH is that!?!?!?

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
The best burgers - by far- in my experience, have been those which we ate one year from an August moose. The sweet, milky smell of the fat was enough make your mouth water and the burgers, ground together with a nice helping of fat and seared over a wood fire, were to die for.

That is no fair at all! Moose, in my opinion, is some of the most flavorful meat anywhere. Really exceptional. Only eland comes close.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Fudruckers...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For a fast food burger a local place called Mr. Hotdog makes the best coney dogs and burgers around here. The "coney burger" is a double cheese burger with a layer of coney sauce between the patties. An obvious heart attach waiting to happen but a good treat once in awhile.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fgold767
White Castle!........... I recall those from my childhood; my dad was a big fan of them (so was I). Are there any left? Bet I haven't seen one since the mid-60's.

Last edited by 22250rem; 05/23/17.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
When I'm in NM I like What a Burger. There isn't one here, I like 5 guys pretty well.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

For fast food chain restaurant hamburgers and/or food currently DQ, mostly because at the one we usually eat at their sandwiches and hot food is cooked when ordered, not precooked and left sitting under heat lamps.

A few local privately owned restaurants make some pretty decent hamburgers. My favorite so far has been what one place calls their "Steak burger". It's made with about a half pound patty of fresh ground beef the diameter of a saucer and around a 1/2 - 5/8 " thick after cooked, The hamburger patty itself is so big it still sticks out beyond the large bun it's served on. Your choice of a couple of brands of steak sauce and the usual lettuce, tomato, onion, pickle, etc., dressing.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
It's a long damn drive from here, but the mondo-burger at the Monderosa in Nenana.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Bull. Then you're making them too hot, too quick. I'll be serving venison burgers off the grill this weekend for company coming for Memorial Day. They are mixed with 10% beef fat. Will be good and pink in the middle for those who know how to eat a good burger and don't want them well done, and will be juicy goodness.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beef fat cooks in a deer burger the same it does for a beef burger, for me. I shoot for med-rare to medium with burgers. Seems I'm the odd man out. I prefer elk burgers to deer but nothing wrong with venison burgers. I'll take any home cooked burger to a fast food restaurant.

In-n-out has to be one of the greatest shams going in my opinion. Only difference I can find between In-n-out and Burger King is that BK has better shakes and fries. Fast food is always a last resort for me though.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 22250rem
White Castle!........... I recall those from my childhood; my dad was a big fan of them (so was I). Are there any left? Bet I haven't seen one since the mid-60's.

White Castle is still a family run company that will not franchise stores. They will not locate a store that is too far from the main
company headquarters. There are stores in NJ, NYC, Ky. The closest one to me is in Louisville, KY. and it is just too far for me to drive......

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Beef fat cooks in a deer burger the same it does for a beef burger, for me. I shoot for med-rare to medium with burgers. Seems I'm the odd man out. I prefer elk burgers to deer but nothing wrong with venison burgers. I'll take any home cooked burger to a fast food restaurant.

Exactly. Fat begins to melt and make grease between 130-140 degrees. 130-135 temp in meat is considered medium rare. So you can have your medium burger with grease with either beef or pork fat. If you really want fat to liquefy, that's called rendering and it will need held at that temperature for hours.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would have to say Fuddruckers. Fresh ground, medium rare, and a ton of fresh toppings you put on yourself.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I prefer my own charcoal grilled using ground round, season with sea salt and coarse black pepper, diced onion and teriyaki marinated. Toast the bun and add mustard & katsup, a slice of american on one side of the bun and pepper jack on the other.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I tried some White Castle's little square burgers a few years ago after they built a new restaurant in a nearby town. May well be that my taste buds have changed and dulled over the years since eating and loving them when I was a kid but they were no where near as tasty as I remembered the old White Castle burgers being.

White Castle burgers are even being packaged frozen and sold in full line grocery stores, convenience stores and dollar stores for reheat and eat nowadays too. I tried them once too - once was enough.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Mushroom Swiss. The best I ever had was at some old bar and grill, just south of Casper, Wy, enroute to Muddy Gap. Ooh, and the massive fried onions, a definite plus.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
All market hamburgers are pretty much generic, for me the deciding factor is the side orders... if the fry's and onion rings are pretty good then they'll get my business... like "The Hat" but they're a pretty small chain, there's a couple more, but don't very often go to any of the major chains.

Phil

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Home made venison burgers over smoke and flame. Just some salt, pepper and a little diced in onion. Condiments as needed.

I've eaten a lot of burners and that has become my simple favorite.

Hunt Africa while you can
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine...I make a burger rub/topping to die for ...named it BurgerWac...I sell it and give it away as gift's, most want the same gift every year!

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Burgerwac... And what is in it ?

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
White Castle = trailer trash food.
Best I've had and I think it's a chain is Mussels and Burgers

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I'm not making my own I go to a little Mexican joint in the town where I live called Garcias, they make the best burger in SC Alaska IMO. Handmade and cooked to perfection with a roasted green chili and 2 slices of bacon on it.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I visit Pueblo, Colorado there is a burger called a slopper that most all of the restaurants there offer. It is an open faced burger in a bowl covered with green or red chili. You pretty much have to eat it with a spoon.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Fresh ground 85/15 beef. Mix in liberal amounts of Montreal Steak Seasoning, couple dashes of Tapatio and a dash of Worchestershire. Cook to your liking.

Drive-thru: Wendy's

Sit down chain: Five Guys

Last edited by bigfish9684; 05/23/17.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Whataburger for a fast food burger. Never had a bad one.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Going back a way's, well a long way's, best burger I've probably ever bought was off the over size food wagons stationed around the old Hugh's Aircraft plant up in El Segundo when I was moving machinery for them.

Was what they would call a Texas Burger, an extra large onion roll sesame seed bun, two half pound patties, pepper-jack cheese, topped off with thick slices of pastrami... from there you could add what ever you liked, with me lettuce, tomato, onion and jalapeno peppers. They had great fry's also.

Place was so large that the trucks hardly ever moved, would be two or three trucks at one location and they had two or three locations around the plant. They'd stay 3 or 4 hours in the morning, go replenish and be back for 3 or 4 hours at lunch, plant never closed and was pretty much the same at night.

Phil

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Miller's Bar Dearborn, Michigan. Served on a piece of wax paper. Outstanding.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
From childhood

[Linked Image]

Since I have no desire to return to California, I'd say Tommy's burger stop in Anchorage makes a kick azz burger.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Ray's Kingburger

FJB & FJT
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
LotaBurger in NM.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Whataburger!

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rost495
We only have sonic, DQ and Whataburger. Of those I prefer the Whataburger.

But we usually go to other places for burgers that are not chain.. WB used to be really good 35 years ago, its not so great anymore but works if we have to stop along the way out of town also...

For chain burgers, those are the three I go with in order of preference: Whataburger, DQ and Sonic. But I don't stop at a DQ unless it's in a small town. They seem to be better. Someone mentioned Fuddruckers which are pretty good, but not a drive thru though. If you're ever in Longview, Tyler or Marshall, TX, try Jucys Handburgers. Great burgers and complementary beans while you wait.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Princess drive in downtown Houston

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Looking at those can stir up an appetite!

Originally Posted by 458 Lott
From childhood

[Linked Image]

Since I have no desire to return to California, I'd say Tommy's burger stop in Anchorage makes a kick azz burger.

[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by hanco
Princess drive in downtown Houston

Another great burger in Houston: Bellaire Broiler Burger

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Whataburger's Mexi-Melt or most anything from a Carl's Jr./Hardee's are my favorites. Jack-In-The-Box also has good stuff. Just cannot get excited about McDonald's or Burger King anymore. Not bad, but just not particularly appealing. I will eat Wendy's, but only if real hungry and no other choice. In the Southeast, I used to really like Krystal, but for the last couple of years not so much. Not real sure if it is they that changed or my taste changed. Probably a bit of both.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Carl's Jr...never had there burger but genius commercials!

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
For fast-food, I like Wendy's and Sonic. I can gag down Burger King if I have to, I guess.

My own burgers, half/half lean ground beef and Tennessee Pride hot sausage, grilled, makes those pretty tasteless and common, though. I use Lawry's Seasoning Salt and some black pepper on it. Put on some southwest style mustard from WallyWorld, and green-leaf lettuce and tomato.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Bout time to get the grill out and ready with all this talk, haven't BBQ'd in a long time. Absolutely nothing like a burger grilled over charcoals and hickory! Be Texas Burgers for me and Puppy Burgers for all the dogs, same thing just different names...

Phil

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
When I'm in NM I like What a Burger. There isn't one here, I like 5 guys pretty well.

When I'm in NM its the Owl Bar and Grill for green chili cheeseburgers. laugh

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Prwlr

Another vote for the Owl Bar here. Good food. The Owl Bar is an original.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Culvers

This ^^^^^^

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
From childhood

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I had a Nations burger in my home town a couple of months ago when I visited my Father. It was still damn good.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mine.
When I start cooking burgers, the neighbors grab plates and come running. (I got witnesses wink )
Between the size and the taste, no one walks away unhappy.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it's fast food, it's gotta be a Whataburger for me.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Originally Posted by Prwlr

Another vote for the Owl Bar here. Good food. The Owl Bar is an original.

It's Day's burgers in Las Cruces for me.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Located in FountainCity Tn outside Knoxville. A place called Littons servers my favorite.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like several fast-food burgers. When I'm in Texas, Whattaburger (the #6 Jalapeno burger Combo) is it, hands down. Here in Utah, Culver's is very good, as is a smaller chain The Habit (which beats Five Guys all to smithereens). Wendy's is fine, but nothing to write home about. My default go-to is Carls Jr, because there's one about every mile, and the burgers are char-grilled, not fried or steamed. At Carl's the Famous Star is their most basic, which I prefer. I don't want avocado, onion rings, 19 strips of bacon, three cheeses, and some gooey sauce on it. I want a BURGER.

I've never seen the appeal of Five guys or In-and-Out to be honest. They're okay, but nothing I drool in anticipation to get. Ditto for Freddy's, which I went to once. Once.

I've never had a Jack-in-the-Box, or a White Castle. I'd like to try a WC slider, but you have to be blitzed at 3 am to like them, I'm told.

Utter crap? Burger King, McDonald's, and (usually but with exceptions) Dairy Queen.

Edit to add: I'd kill for an Owl Bar green-chili burger. Damn near a bucket list burger.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 05/23/17.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

White Castle is still a family run company that will not franchise stores. They will not locate a store that is too far from the main
company headquarters. There are stores in NJ, NYC, Ky. The closest one to me is in Louisville, KY. and it is just too far for me to drive......

Didn't know there were any White Castles anymore. Thanks for the update. I've seen the White Castle frozen stuff in the grocery store. My mother's 90 yrs. old and in assisted living and she has me pick her up some of them occasionally. If I'm in Kentucky and I see one it will be a mandatory stop to check 'em out. But you won't catch me anywhere near NYC or NJ so they can forget about my business.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Johnnies Charcoal Broiler #3 Chili Cheese Burger with ONION RINGS

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Freddy's have opened up here. They are good.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Something about a Double Double Animal style from In-N-Out.

Best burger I ever ate was after 5 days backpacking in the Marbles.

Local joint fries the cheese like a potato chip a few inches around the burger. Pretty dang good.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
...............................................................................is made from ground axis from my grill, there is no equal, don't care at all for chain grub, it's nutritionally trash.

Trump Won!
hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

Edit to add: I'd kill for an Owl Bar green-chili burger. Damn near a bucket list burger.

This Owl Bar must be something by the love its getting'.

I have to admit, I fired app the grill and made elk burgers tonight. Had two thick med rare delights and a cold Shiner Bock. I'm full and content.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
At home it's bison w/ avocado and red onion on a butter crisped brioche bun. 5 Guys for chain w/out a doubt, they also have great fries.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
White Castles are a novelty burger. That's why they call them "Slider's" They slide right through you. You can buy them frozen in some Grocery Chains. I used to go to Northern Illinois and find a White Castle, but they seem to have disappeared. The comments about Beef fat melting too late doesn't work for me. When I mix the Beef in with the Venison, I use only ground Chuck and no more than 15% fat. I don't like overcooked burgers, but I don't want it rare either. Slightly pink on the inside, but Medium on the outside. Did any one ever cook one rare on the outside and well-done on the inside?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's more on the Owl Bar and Cafe's green chili burger - and how it helped create the atomic bomb. LINK

and a vid

Last edited by RockyRaab; 05/24/17.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rocky, post that again.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Took me a bit to figure that out. Hadn't done it before.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My favorite? The next one!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had an excellent one at a little hole-in-the-wall place in Custer, SD.

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Interesting you mention Custer, SD. Many moons ago I had an outstanding Bison burger there in some diner. Don't remember the name and who knows if it's still there, BUT makes me wonder of it's the same place. Bison burger with onions and sweet pickle relish and catsup. I still recall it fondly after a long time!

Rocky, I think I hate you for posting that Owl Cafe video. It's only 10:00 am and I'm hungry for one of those! smile smile

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Didn't know there were any White Castles anymore. Thanks for the update. I've seen the White Castle frozen stuff in the grocery store. My mother's 90 yrs. old and in assisted living and she has me pick her up some of them occasionally. If I'm in Kentucky and I see one it will be a mandatory stop to check 'em out. But you won't catch me anywhere near NYC or NJ so they can forget about my business.

574 White Castle Locations in United States

Choose your state to find the nearest one or view the White Castle menu.

Illinois White Castle locations (90)
Indiana White Castle locations (89)
Kentucky White Castle locations (51)
Michigan White Castle locations (53)
Minnesota White Castle locations (32)
Missouri White Castle locations (49)
New Jersey White Castle locations (42)
Nevada White Castle locations (1)
New York White Castle locations (58)
Ohio White Castle locations (92)
Pennsylvania White Castle locations (1)
Tennessee White Castle locations (14)
Wisconsin White Castle locations (2)

Link to states with White Castle restaurants. Click on state for locations in each state:
https://www.menuism.com/restaurant-locations/white-castle-39666/us

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Hatari: I have a small town (population 26) butcher add 10% by weight of "kidney suet" to my Antelope, Deer and Elk burger meat. I bring this meat to him AFTER "I" take the time to remove ALL white tissue from said meat.
The results are VERY tasting and worth the effort and expense.
When travelling (none in Montana!) I favor the In And Out Burger chain.
Fun, fast, tasty, consistent and open late.
When in Montana though we have to settle for the much more expensive and less tasty Five Guys chain.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mommas moose burgers are the best, we use pork butts in our grind

Ate at 5 guys it was pretty good and I always hit Sonic when visiting ma. 2 plain cheeseburgers and a small coke. No fries please

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I think there is a Five Guys place in Georgetown Texas. We go by there on way to deer lease.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Buckzilla Burger out of Bucks Bar and Grill in Rawlins Wy is nice, Fat Belly Burgers in Carbondale Co is also nice

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My assistant grew up in Rawlins. Says Bucks is new since she left. Look up the Buckzilla. Parmesan cheese and 2 eggs? Yum!

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
From a chain, Kewpee is my hands down favorite. Give me a Kewpee double w/cheese, mustard, ketchup, onion & pickle, an order of fries & a small frosty & I'm a happy man.

If you don't know the Kewpee chain, goggle it. Been in the midwest for a long time & inspired Dave Thomas of Wendy's fame, Too bad Dave went for quantity rather than quality.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Another vote for Blake's Lotaburger, in New Mexico. Found in most towns/cities of any size....UNLESS you find yourself in San Antonio, New Mexico.....then park at The Owl and walk across the street to The Buckhorn. Hands down the best green chile burger there is.....don't forget the green chile cheesy fries to go with it!!! Andy3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Interesting you mention Custer, SD. Many moons ago I had an outstanding Bison burger there in some diner. Don't remember the name and who knows if it's still there, BUT makes me wonder of it's the same place. Bison burger with onions and sweet pickle relish and catsup. I still recall it fondly after a long time!

Rocky, I think I hate you for posting that Owl Cafe video. It's only 10:00 am and I'm hungry for one of those! smile smile

If I remember correctly, this place served bison burger. It was advertised as the best burger joint in the region.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Raeford
Ray's Kingburger

Had all but forgotten about Ray's. For a good while, Ray's was the only fast food chain joint in my home town when I was growing up. Used to go to the original Ray's Starlight in Mt Airy quite often as my grandparents lived near there.

My favorite burgers are of course homemade but here are my picks:

Fast Food: Cook Out...chain in NC and VA and Hardee's

Semi-Fast Food: Five Guys and Fuddruckers

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I've been known to grill a mean burger..........

right here at 'Bench Road Bob's'............... grin

these buns from Walmart R O C K .............

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Marketside-Onion-Poppy-Ciabatta-Rolls-6-count-18-oz/46180268

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

hatari Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
=

If I remember correctly, this place served bison burger. It was advertised as the best burger joint in the region.

Uh oh! I feel a harmonic convergence in the burger world! Custer ain't that big...!

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I used to like Arctic Circle till they closed the store near me.

Now I just cook them at home.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Homegrown burger, grilled medium rare.

No bun.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Just a hamburger steak? Or do you put fixings on it?

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Sam, that could be a hamburger steak. A side question Sam, what do you feed your cattle out with, for grain I mean, and do you get white fat, marbling?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Zaycon. 40 pounds at a time.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I can no longer eat the bun.
(or drink light beer without getting the 'bad gut ache'....)

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
My friend took some leave from the Nave and came out to visit.

We cooked our own beef, grass fat (out of barley)......cut up in Saco MT.

Started with a plain patty, covered it in blue cheese crumbles, onion straws, breaded jalapenos, chipoltle mayo and Heinz 57 sauce.

Smashed between an old fashioned bun.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Good lord man...

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I paid for it for three days.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
laughing

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ray's Tavern in Green River, Utah.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

St. Louis is still full of belly bombing White Castle sliders. Been around the Midwest since 1921 and they claim to be the oldest.
Culver's is good, but Steak N' Shake is still the best. Been using nothing but prime steak since 1934. Best service also.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I'm hungry, it's noon in Cypress Texas. I'm going to whataburger!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For me, it's Fat Burger.
I wish they had a Whataburger in NV.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by ironbender
It's a long damn drive from here, but the mondo-burger at the Monderosa in Nenana.

Next time you're in town, try Kriner's Burgers and Pie. It's by Bass Pro Shop.

Let me know when you'll be here, and I'll meet you there!

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Well...due to reccomendations I read on this thread, the wife and I stopped in at a Five Guys for a burger this afternoon. I had noticed it some time ago, but had dismissed it as some sort of "gourmet cuisine" b.s. establishment judging by it's name and location, never intending on trying it. I was wrong. It was a simple, honest, great burger and really good fresh cut fries. They even served complimentary roasted peanuts. I have never seen that outside of a bar. The service was friendly and the place was well maintained. I would rate it right up there with my favorites, Whataburger and Carl's Jr./Hardee's.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ohhh Steak 'n' Shake. Miss that. Frisco Melt!

Fatburger: Their burgers are good, but the fritters they use for their crispy chicken sandwiches are HUGE.

For simplicity's sake tonight is grilled corn on the cob and a double bacon cheeseburger from frozen Costco patties.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
chain whataburger, local place the burgers they cook on bob hall pier.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
2 plain cheeseburgers and a small coke. No fries please

My daughter ordered a "plain cheeseburger with nothing on it" at a drive though and ended up with a hamburger.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
My daughter ordered a "plain cheeseburger with nothing on it" at a drive though and ended up with a hamburger.

That's funny! smile

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 57 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.