Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
I was in traffic court for a minor ticket this morning. I saw a guy get absolutely smoked.

Charged with reckless speeding 107 in a 55mph zone, construction zone. He pleaded guilty. The officer said he was polite and cooperative. No other traffic on the road, no body working in the zone. He clocked him just as the road had gone from 2 lanes to one. They guy was young, a college student from the middle east studying engineering. Good grades, would graduate in one more semester. There was no accident or alcohol, just speeding.

The judge started lecturing about the physics of speeding. Six months in jail.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Too bad the cop didn't charge him with a lesser speed. They do that because of the extra work really high speeds cause.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a ticket for 53 in a 35 construction zone, went to court with $800 and my check book.
Because I had a prior clean record the judge knocked it down to $366. I thanked the judge and damn near ran to the pay window.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Having spent time on the other side of the orange barrels - I have NO sympathy for the offender.
When on road construction - you learn (quickly) that drivers are ASSES!

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jesus.......a couple grand and a pile of community service would of sufficed and not cost the taxpayers near as much.

Jail is way over used for bullchit crimes and then actual violent, predatory criminals are turned out on a regular basis after minimal sentences.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by electram
I was in traffic court for a minor ticket this morning. I saw a guy get absolutely smoked.

Charged with reckless speeding 107 in a 55mph zone, construction zone. He pleaded guilty. The officer said he was polite and cooperative. No other traffic on the road, no body working in the zone. He clocked him just as the road had gone from 2 lanes to one. They guy was young, a college student from the middle east studying engineering. Good grades, would graduate in one more semester. There was no accident or alcohol, just speeding.

The judge started lecturing about the physics of speeding. Six months in jail.

This is a ridiculously extreme punishment.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
You've obviously never been on a road crew that had a traffic-related fatality.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How could you tell?

The construction zone was vacant...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sentencing fulfillment should be deferred until the kid finishes school, or in a reasonable time frame when he should.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's all fun and games until he or she kills someone. 107 in a 55 is ridiculously fast.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Jesus.......a couple grand and a pile of community service would of sufficed and not cost the taxpayers near as much.

Jail is way over used for bullchit crimes and then actual violent, predatory criminals are turned out on a regular basis after minimal sentences.

Welcome to the world of for profit prisons.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree.

I like fast cars. Consensus among cognoscenti that I hang with is that public roads are no place for even beginning to scratch the surface of the potential of many cars on the road today.

Your typical Carrera has 350 to 400 horsepower, and with a 7-speed manual will hit 110 in 3rd. That's double the speed limit as you come off the onramp, dump the revs into 4th, and think about merging. That car will top out at at 185-190, and at 150 is in its sweet spot.

There's just too much that can, and eventually will, go wrong, and it's NOT the little old lady's fault she didn't see you coming at 107 mph and merged into your lane.

Real car guys who want to run 100 mph (and well over) go to track days.

Race tracks are made for race car speeds, and there is no innocent public to bear the brunt of the risks the driver of a sports car wants to take. That's where you go to drive your 'vette or Lambo like it wants to be driven.

Here in Cali, it is my understanding that if you get clocked at 100 mph or over, it is presumed reckless driving, which means handcuffs and impound from the get-go.

Honestly, IMO that's getting off easy compared to what could happen if that innocent little old lady pulls into your slot.

Take it to the track.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by kingston

I agree. That judge just ruined this kid's life for absolutely nothing.

Every guy in my high school graduating class 30 years ago would have been in jail. This crap is getting ridiculous, are they going to start chopping off hands for stealing candy bars next?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RickBin
I agree.

I like fast cars. Consensus among cognoscenti that I hang with is that public roads are no place for even beginning to scratch the surface of the potential of many cars on the road today.

Your typical Carrera has 350 to 400 horsepower, and with a 7-speed manual will hit 110 in 3rd. That's double the speed limit as you come off the onramp, dump the revs into 4th, and think about merging. That car will top out at at 185-190, and at 150 is in its sweet spot.

There's just too much that can, and eventually will, go wrong, and it's NOT the little old lady's fault she didn't see you coming at 107 mph and merged into your lane.

Real car guys who want to run 100 mph (and well over) go to track days.

Race tracks are made for race car speeds, and there is no innocent public to bear the brunt of the risks the driver of a sports car wants to take. That's where you go to drive your 'vette or Lambo like it wants to be driven.

Here in Cali, it is my understanding that if you get clocked at 100 mph or over, it is presumed reckless driving, which means handcuffs and impound from the get-go.

Honestly, IMO that's getting off easy compared to what could happen if that innocent little old lady pulls into your slot.

Take it to the track.

I do not make a habit of this... wink But I agree, absolutely!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Guy would have been better off to have been caught burgling houses and stealing guns.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by kingston

I agree. That judge just ruined this kid's life for absolutely nothing.

Every guy in my high school graduating class 30 years ago would have been in jail. This crap is getting ridiculous, are they going to start chopping off hands for stealing candy bars next?

Call me whatever you like, but I do not have a problem with holding guests to high standards. Playing the odds, the judge, in his prescient knowledge borne of repeated cases involving carnage, understood what could have happened. I spent several years cleaning up the sorts of events the driver's actions too often devolve to to have a nanoseconds concern.

A lad I have known for his whole life went to a good school for diesel technology and performed well there. He was offered a very good job doing incredible work on very interesting projects far beyond the pits of a JiffyLube at an hourly wage most Journeymen would covet. Due diligence vetting revealed over a dozen speeding tickets at velocities in triple digits over the limit... he failed the test. He has not proved he would have been "right" for the offer yet.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Guy would have been better off to have been caught burgling houses and stealing guns.

Guns, even stolen ones, still require a total dirtbag to do bad things...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dumbass me, 70+ in a 40 mpt construction zone, 4:15am, no activity in zone 3 vehicles in area personal vehicle. Cop wrote failure to heed highway warning signs. Paid my fine, regained a lot of caution, keput my CDL and my job.

Concealed carry issue also arose, cop was cautious, but respectful and thanked me for handling it well

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Dumbass me, 70+ in a 40 mpt construction zone, 4:15am, no activity in zone 3 vehicles in area personal vehicle. Cop wrote failure to heed highway warning signs. Paid my fine, regained a lot of caution, keput my CDL and my job.

Concealed carry issue also arose, cop was cautious, but respectful and thanked me for handling it well

Let's see:

You were not an ingrate alien disrespecting our laws...
You were doing 30+ over in a 40, not 52 over...
Physics says a doubling of speed requires a quadrupling of energy... that relates to control issues very neatly...
Time and people in area are white noise... you knew nothing of that until after the fact.
You were "at home"...

I agree completely with your luck in the handling of your case and your attitude more than anything else says the cop and judge both read you right.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I got a 140 in a 65 in my vette. 2500.00 in 1980. I slowed down a bit.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 222Sako, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,298
Posts18,487,062
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.