Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The court was too kind...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Perhaps that guy will grow up a bit in that 6 months...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
all it took was once for me. mine wasn't nearly as bad. I was probably doing 67 in a 55 but it was a construction zone. The ticket was more than $200 and this was 20 years ago

That won't happen again.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Fast forward 4 months from now.

Breaking News:
A young man, attending college in the United States from Dubai runs into 7 children, killing 5, while traveling at a high rate of speed in a school zone. Reports show the man was charged this past April with reckless speeding doing 107 in a 55mph Construction zone. The man had to pay a $434 dollar fine for the previous incident. Many are wondering why he didn't receive a stricter punishment.'

Fire Posts:

'YGTBFKM, they let the raghead off for doing 107mph a few months ago."

"If Obama had a son"

"A $434 dollar fine for doing 107 and now he kills 5 children. I guarantee the judge was an Obama appointee'

'WTF, in 1979 I spent 5 years in prison for doing 3 miles over the speed limit in a school zone and this Muzzy gets a small fine so he could later kill kids'

'Fu*cking snowflakes wanted this'

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As a bridge inspector I have a lot less protection from traffic than when construction is ongoing. Having people speeding by my equipment at even 80 raises the stress level quite a bit. Slow down in work zones, no matter the time of day

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Good Deal ! Just sentence, give him time to think life through a bit!! stupid a$$hat going that fast work zone vacant or not!! Had a best friend killed that way !! you never know if the zone is vacant or not people work all hours on some zones!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Canadian drivers exhibit an aggression surpassing even that of the typical Yankee around here. I swear, if it weren't for the strength of their diplomatic service, they'd all be in Guantanamo Bay. Superstition says that on quiet nights, if you listen carefully, you can hear the pavement crying after the passing of a Canadian tagged vehicle.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've worked for Municipalities, Counties, States, and Nations in bridge building and repair, Parking my service truck in some pretty vulnerable locations......seen several men hurt, and have damn near been hurt or killed myself by dumbchits in their little "cars",....MOST truck drivers useta' be damned decent, but on ALL counts, I'd venture that the whole scenario's just gotten worse, and damned glad I'm not out there today.

That said, the road / bridge construction rackets were almost a relaxing cakewalk, compared to operating a small towing company, and doing roadside recovery work. Paid like crazy,......scared the crap out of one like crazy.

Phouc that "Middle Eastern engineering student" and his good grades.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mark shubert
You've obviously never been on a road crew that had a traffic-related fatality.
"

Did you miss the part about "no construction going on at the time?"

It's obvious when it's a Sunday or something like that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by mark shubert
You've obviously never been on a road crew that had a traffic-related fatality.
"

Did you miss the part about "no construction going on at the time?"

It's obvious when it's a Sunday or something like that.

Do they have flashing signs telling everyone there's no workers present?

Not so obvious here. Depending on the project, there can be workers present 24/7.

Is the construction speed limit raised back to the regular speed limit of 107 when workers are not there?

Are there no hazards to avoid in construction zones other than the workers?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

No, they have the police officer testifying to that effect.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

No, they have the police officer testifying to that effect.

Got it.

That must have been the police officer standing at the start of the construction zone, holding a sign telling him it's OK to run 107mph through it because no workers were present.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
No, it was the police officer waiting in his car with a radar at the edge of the construction zone (Speed trap) where no construction was going on, just so the ticket he wrote would have more zeroes on it. Protecting the workers who weren't there, as it were.

Pretty convincing witness if you ask me. Given his reasons for being in that particular spot.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mohick
Good Deal ! Just sentence, give him time to think life through a bit!! stupid a$$hat going that fast work zone vacant or not!! Had a best friend killed that way !! you never know if the zone is vacant or not people work all hours on some zones!!

Was your friend killed in an inactive construction zone?

I've found it quite easy to discern active vs. inactive work zones, even with my modest faculties. A construction zone is only a construction zone, if work is actively being preformed. It should be illegal to abandon construction related traffic controls without clearly indicating that construction has ceased. This is generally the practice in the North East, where I do most of my travel. I will acknowledge that standard practices in other areas maybe less evolved.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Fast forward 4 months from now.

Breaking News:
A young man, attending college in the United States from Dubai runs into 7 children, killing 5, while traveling at a high rate of speed in a school zone. Reports show the man was charged this past April with reckless speeding doing 107 in a 55mph Construction zone. The man had to pay a $434 dollar fine for the previous incident. Many are wondering why he didn't receive a stricter punishment.'

Fire Posts:

'YGTBFKM, they let the raghead off for doing 107mph a few months ago."

"If Obama had a son"

"A $434 dollar fine for doing 107 and now he kills 5 children. I guarantee the judge was an Obama appointee'

'WTF, in 1979 I spent 5 years in prison for doing 3 miles over the speed limit in a school zone and this Muzzy gets a small fine so he could later kill kids'

'Fu*cking snowflakes wanted this'

That actually sounds pretty accurate. wink
Originally Posted by kingston
How could you tell?

The construction zone was vacant...

And how would you know that, until you sped through it? Lots of road construction is scheduled for night work, to easy the road congestion during the day. On some jobs, they work 24/7 until it's done (depends on the need and the funding).
No excusses, take it to the track.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ok, so what if the zone was not active? I would assume the cones, barrels or temporary concrete barrier was still there. So if he had been doing 70 in a 55 maybe I could see that. But 107? Please, no excuse for that where traffic control measures were still in place. None

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Most of the time I go through a construction zone the sign states 55mph when lights are flashing. About half of the lights aren't flashing. Contractors maintain the lights not the state. Get halfway in the construction zone and see flashing lights and no workers in sight. Go figure.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
No, it was the police officer waiting in his car with a radar at the edge of the construction zone (Speed trap) where no construction was going on, just so the ticket he wrote would have more zeroes on it. Protecting the workers who weren't there, as it were.

Pretty convincing witness if you ask me. Given his reasons for being in that particular spot.

Thanks so much for clearing that up.

The cop definitely was in the wrong for stopping him for doing 107mph.

I've heard rumors that cops set up in school zones too... Damned speed traps.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

One of the more idiotic posts of the week.......

Listen up here a moment, oh champion of most likely VERY wealthy "Middle Eastern Engineering Students " with their goooooood grades pricey phoucin' cars capable of that speed, .........

There are ALL SORTS of hands involved in road construction that are present, in and around construction zones 24-7, when the large body of the crews are on downtime,.....perc tests, engineering outfits checking out mats before the big pour Monday, surveyors confirming
grades, and yes, guys doing what I used to do, as a small specialty portable outfit, contracted to the prime,....rig parked out there off the road entirely, and working right at the very barricade edge of an expansion joint, tacking in weldable rebar or J-bolts.
The ccksucker Abdul comes flying by,.....'cuz he and his good grades are so phoucin' IMPORTANT, and they ALL drive like that where he comes from,......a small but deadly piece of debris is fired out from underneath his 100MPH tires and hits one of us. Serious injury, or a fatality ensue.

You strike me as a somewhat peculiar individual, with these off the wall posts you're prone to putting up.

Get with the program, Mister.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by kingston

The construction zone was vacant...

And how would you know that, until you sped through it? Lots of road construction is scheduled for night work, to easy the road congestion during the day. On some jobs, they work 24/7 until it's done (depends on the need and the funding).
No excusses, take it to the track.

At night, the large generator powered construction lights, flashing beacons, disorienting strobe lights and illuminated construction equipment is usually the first indication of an active construction site around here.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,817 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,290
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.