Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by kellory

The construction zone was vacant...

And how would you know that, until you sped through it? Lots of road construction is scheduled for night work, to easy the road congestion during the day. On some jobs, they work 24/7 until it's done (depends on the need and the funding).
No excusses, take it to the track.

At night, the large generator powered construction lights, flashing beacons, disorienting strobe lights and illuminated construction equipment is usually the first indication of an active construction site around here.

So if no flashing lights are present, the speed limits goes up to 107?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kellory

And how would you know that, until you sped through it? Lots of road construction is scheduled for night work, to easy the road congestion during the day. On some jobs, they work 24/7 until it's done (depends on the need and the funding).
No excusses, take it to the track.

At night, the large generator powered construction lights, flashing beacons, disorienting strobe lights and illuminated construction equipment is usually the first indication of an active construction site around here.

It doesn't matter if it is active, or not. The road is constricted, pavement may be various surface, lane changes, or signage may require swerving, and it is clearly posted. And at NO TIME IS 107MPH allowed on public roads.
The risks are higher for ALL people in a construction zone.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's pretty enlightening that grown men here have to be told that driving 107mph through a construction zone probably isn't the safest or smartest thing to do...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
IT'S A CONSTRUCTION ZONE !!!
Only the workers have any idea who is present at any given time, and not all are readily visible.

SLOW IT DOWN

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd be curious what jurisdiction this occurred in. In the one I work in and for the most part statewide, the rule of thumb for the Judges, is a day in jail for each MPH over 90. Even considering the construction zone, I've never heard of a sentence like that. Whether it's justified or not isn't at issue for me. I just know how hard it is for someone with a clean record, to get that kind of time even for a violent crime. Not calling BS, yet....This sentence and others similar, are a matter of public record. I'd sure like to see it!

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Being a few minutes late has killed a lot fewer people than speeding through construction zones.
Much less accident involved operations.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Six months in jail for doing 107...

Got 6 middle eastern college students that overstayed their visa's and stole $2.4 million from the IRS and stole tens of thousands of identies (including mine), and the feds are only tacking them with 18 or 24 months and 3 years of probation - which means they'll be kept in the country for 3 years after getting out of jail instead of being deported.

Yeah, our justice system is screwed.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
One of the more idiotic posts of the week.......

Thanks for the preview of your post, saves valuable time.

Originally Posted by crossfireoops
...Listen up here a moment, oh champion of most likely VERY wealthy "Middle Eastern Engineering Students " with their goooooood grades pricey phoucin' cars capable of that speed, .........

No, you listen up dipschit. Nowhere did I defend "Middle Eastern Engineering Students." My personal preference is, they get their education in their own countries. Got that?

Nowhere did I defend driving 107 mph. That's idiotic on any public roadway, especially a construction zone with detours and altered traffic patterns.

You apparently can't read very well, lest you wouldn't have taken the time to explain the various individuals who COULD BE present on a highway construction site, when it's already been clearly established that THERE WERE NONE on this particular site.

My post had nothing to do with "Middle Eastern" people, or the wisdom of driving 107 on a public roadway. It was a response to a comment that the kid could have killed a construction worker. There were none on this site. Got it?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
It's pretty enlightening that grown men here have to be told that driving 107mph through a construction zone probably isn't the safest or smartest thing to do...

And it's disappointing that grown men make sh** up and attribute it to others. No one said that driving 107 mph through a construction zone was safe, or smart.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Bobmar
I'd be curious what jurisdiction this occurred in. In the one I work in and for the most part statewide, the rule of thumb for the Judges, is a day in jail for each MPH over 90. Even considering the construction zone, I've never heard of a sentence like that. Whether it's justified or not isn't at issue for me. I just know how hard it is for someone with a clean record, to get that kind of time even for a violent crime. Not calling BS, yet....This sentence and others similar, are a matter of public record. I'd sure like to see it!

Traffic/Criminal Case Details
NOTE: This case was appealed to circuit court on 05/24/2017. See circuit court for final disposition.
Case/Defendant Information
Case Number :
 GT17004908-00
Filed Date :
 04/24/2017
Locality :
 COMMONWEALTH OF VA
Name :
 ABDULMAJEED, ADHAM ADEL
 Released On Summons
Address :
 HUNTINGTON, WV 25701
Race :
 Asian Or Pacific Islander
DOB :
 04/09/****
Charge Information
Charge :
 RD BY SP (107/55)
Code Section :
 A.46.2-862
Case Type :
 Misdemeanor
Offense Date :
 04/21/2017
Complainant :
 CREWE, J T L
Continuance Code
04/28/2017
01:00 PM
Continued By Court
05/24/2017
10:00 AM
Finalized
Disposition
Nolo Contendere
Service/Process
Disposition Information
Final Disposition :
  Guilty
Sentence Time :
 06Months 000Days 00Hours
Sentence Suspended Time :
 00Months 000Days 00Hours
Probation Type : 
Probation Time :
 00Years 00Months 000Days
Probation Starts : 
Operator License Suspension Time :
 00Years 12Months 000Days

Last edited by electram; 05/25/17.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
On the other hand, some violators are incredibly stupid. Years ago I was sitting in a traffic court when they brought in a kid, late teens, on 2 counts of failure to appear for some minor traffic violation. When the judge asked him why he didn't come to court, the idiot said that he didn't have any money to pay a fine so he didn't see any reason to come. Wrong thing to say. The judge hit the fan. He screamed "YOU DO NOT FAIL TO APPEAR IN MY COURT" and gave him 90 days. The kid deflated and asked if there was any way to reduce that. The judge just had 1 word "NO".

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In MT under 100 MPH is $20 payable on the spot. 107 might get you a real ticket, but no jail time. 6 months seems harsh for 107 MPH speeding ticket.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by electram
Charged with reckless speeding 107 in a 55mph zone, construction zone. He pleaded guilty. The officer said he was polite and cooperative. No other traffic on the road, no body working in the zone. He clocked him just as the road had gone from 2 lanes to one. They guy was young, a college student from the middle east studying engineering. Good grades, would graduate in one more semester. There was no accident or alcohol, just speeding.

The judge started lecturing about the physics of speeding. Six months in jail.

Seem like 6 months in jail will void his student visa and he'll get deported from the country anyway.

http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/legal-reasons-immigrant-may-be-deported.html

If that was the judges goal, well he succeeded, but in the big picture I'm not sure some significant and publicly visible penalties might not have been a more effective deterrent and message to others. Now he gets to go to jail, not finish his degree and gets deported. I'm sure he will be a vocal advocate for the US Justice system back where he came from. If you think all you have is a hammer then all the world is your nail.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
apparently this was a misdemeanor charge ..a criminal charge, not just a "speedin ticket"

It didn't happen in nowhere Montana, it happened on a highway in Virginia and I've never seen a highway in Virginia that didn't have severe traffic

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by gitem_12
apparently this was a misdemeanor charge ..a criminal charge, not just a "speedin ticket"

It didn't happen in nowhere Montana, it happened on a highway in Virginia and I've never seen a highway in Virginia that didn't have severe traffic

Here it's Reckless Driving. (For the speed.)

Reckless driving can also be charged as a result of excessive speed (i.e., 81 m.p.h. or faster in a 65 mph zone or 20 mph faster than the speed limit in all other zones). In Texas reckless driving is considered a criminal offense. It is a class one misdemeanor which carries with it the possibility of up to one year in jail, loss of privilege to drive, and fines up to $2,500.00. As a practical matter most people convicted of reckless driving do not go to jail, however, some Judges begin to impose jail time at speeds of 90 m.p.h. or greater.

It is very important to hire a lawyer to represent you if you have been charged with reckless driving in Texas. A lawyer can help you avoid the potentially harsh consequences of a reckless driving conviction. In addition, as a practical matter, many Courts will not require the appearance of out of state defendants for a reckless driving ticket if they are represented by a lawyer and have given that attorney a copy of their driving record.

Here are some important facts to know about reckless driving and racing charges:

Criminal Offense: Reckless driving and racing are both crimes in Texas. They are called “gross-misdemeanors” and punishable from 0-365 days in jail and a fine of $0-$5000.

License Suspension: If convicted, both reckless driving and racing convictions lead to an automatic license suspension of 30 days. This suspension will take place at a minimum of 45 days after sentencing.

SR-22 Insurance: If your license is suspended, you will need to have SR-22 insurance for 3 years. This insurance is often much more expensive than your current insurance.

Immigration: If you are not a United States citizen and are convicted of reckless driving, believe it or not, you could be deported from the United States. For people who are not U.S. citizens, reckless driving offenses may have very serious immigration consequences.

And in a Construction Zone gets the fine automatically doubled.

Sec. 542.404. FINE FOR OFFENSE IN CONSTRUCTION OR MAINTENANCE WORK ZONE. (a) If an offense under this subtitle, other than an offense under Chapter 548 or 552 or Section 545.412 or 545.413, is committed in a construction or maintenance work zone when workers are present and any written notice to appear issued for the offense states on its face that workers were present when the offense was committed:(1) the minimum fine applicable to the offense is twice the minimum fine that would be applicable to the offense if it were committed outside a construction or maintenance work zone; and(2) the maximum fine applicable to the offense is twice the maximum fine that would be applicable to the offense if it were committed outside a construction or maintenance work zone.

(b) In this section, “construction or maintenance work zone” has the meaning assigned by Section 472.022.

The guy got a normal sentence.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
From hanging around with two local policemen and two Pa State Troopers over the years, I often wondered why they didn't get a ticket when pulled over in civilian dress. That professional courtesy thing is a pretty good deal. I bet it even works in an active construstion zone.

Extremely rare to see a Pa State Tropper running the speed limit on the Pa Turnpike. 10 over is fairly common. Always wondered about that also.

Last edited by battue; 05/25/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thank you Electram. It'll be interesting to see what happens in Circuit Court. In Virginia, Reckless Driving is a class 1 misdemeanor. The Judge could have sentenced him to a year. The Nollo Contendre plea tells me that he didn't have an attorney and that he didn't contest anything. I'll bet things will be different when they go upstairs. As I said before, I've never seen a sentence like that.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by WV_Airedale
As a bridge inspector I have a lot less protection from traffic than when construction is ongoing. Having people speeding by my equipment at even 80 raises the stress level quite a bit. Slow down in work zones, no matter the time of day

Nice to see another bridge inspector here WV! I have no sympathy for harsh dealings with violations in work zones. Unoccupied or not. It's a conditioning thing. If people blast through one that's not active and get a way with it, they'll blast through an active one until they get caught. Hi-vis vests and such are not PPE, they're targets.

I was up on a lift truck platform doing a damage inspection under an I-80 overpass bridge going right through the middle of Cheyenne one afternoon. Traffic control had been set up for no less than 5 hours and everyone was playing nicely until some idiot tried to beat a semi though the cone taper. Didn't work and he ran into the back of our truck doing about 55. Big pucker factor when you hear cones being thumped over and you can't do a thing about it. Passenger door ripped off and hung up on our outrigger. Totaled his car. We didn't get hurt luckily, just shaken around a bit. Then I was pissed.

When we get down out of the basket to see if this guy is ok, the first thing he says is his wife is gonna be pissed that he wrecked her car. He and his partner were both stoned to the bone. I started walking towards him to give him a piece of my mind and a few co-workers were there to get me away from the idiot. Probably a good thing. The patrolman who was the lead investigator came up to us a while later and said " Don't worry, I'll make sure he gets his due". I never did hear what the end result was.

That is just one instance in the 30 years I've been doing this job. There are a lot of times when I just have my truck parked off the shoulder at the end of a bridge with the flashers and whoopy lights on too. Rarely will anybody slow down or even move over to the opposite lane.

Save it for the track and slow the heck down! We like going home to our families at the end of a day too.

No brains, no headaches...
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
How could you tell?

At 107, how quickly could you figure that out....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And having just seen a lucky but bad wreck while we were on the edge of the roadway putting out a large grass fire, you just wonder sometimes... about the common sense of people these days. Even when its as obvious as 7-8 fire apparatus in view, all with flashing lights on...

OTOH when I'm paged to something severe like CPR in progress or a structure fire, I"m often a bit over the speed limit, and I worry those times, its juggling between trying to get there in time to save something, vs to fast and have a wreck. Sure wished we were allowed to run lights/sirens in response to calls here... can't do it by dept policy unless in a dept vehicle....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 62 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,326
Posts18,487,479
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.