Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
We use a discarded mini-fridge to keep it hot. Then store everything in there that is needed (branding iron, heavy-duty cord, wire brush, etc) for the next time or when we move to a different location.

If our electric is spitting hot, then we hold it on a calf for a count of 7, and that will be a perfect brand on the shoulder.

I have found it is best to watch, very closely, the smoke coming off the iron. When it turns color, you've finished burning through hair and started to get the hide. Keep a hot iron on a slick calf for seven seconds and you risk blotching or worse, burning right through the hide.

Montana MOFO

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
There's not a whole lot of branding here in the East. Way back when I was in college, a buddy of mine flunked out and got a job managing a farm the same day. The place was in pretty rough shape and cattle pretty much wandered around wherever they wanted to go (mostly corps ground around the lake). He did have a pretty decent horse and there was a sweep tub and squeeze chute in a pile inside one of the barns. They did have an electric brand and as he brought cattle in, he'd brand them just so he'd know his from anybody else's until the fencing was repaired (fortunately, the neighbors had kept their fences up pretty well, we deal with a lot more fences over here than ya'll probably do:( ).

I did work at a demo a few years back for a dealer where it was my equipment, a couple of pharmaceutical reps, and a fellow showing how to freeze brand. That's sort of a neat deal but mostly seems for individual animal identification. WAY too slow a process for the folks on this thread.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Potsy
There's not a whole lot of branding here in the East. Way back when I was in college, a buddy of mine flunked out and got a job managing a farm the same day. The place was in pretty rough shape and cattle pretty much wandered around wherever they wanted to go (mostly corps ground around the lake). He did have a pretty decent horse and there was a sweep tub and squeeze chute in a pile inside one of the barns. They did have an electric brand and as he brought cattle in, he'd brand them just so he'd know his from anybody else's until the fencing was repaired (fortunately, the neighbors had kept their fences up pretty well, we deal with a lot more fences over here than ya'll probably do:( ).

I did work at a demo a few years back for a dealer where it was my equipment, a couple of pharmaceutical reps, and a fellow showing how to freeze brand. That's sort of a neat deal but mostly seems for individual animal identification. WAY too slow a process for the folks on this thread.

Freeze branding is agonizingly slow. Although I believe we can freeze brand now for ownership.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Working pens seem to always be a work in progress. No end to it. Going Saturday to look at modifying some pens for a neighbor.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
And "shipping pens" are built differently than "working pens"
Years ago, we put 600 large yearlings over the scales, to feedlots, in a long morning - from Dad's shipping pens.
But it would take up to an hour to doctor a sick one - in the same pens.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Do you have to buy the right to use a brand?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
yes.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
And some of them are expensive.

$10-20k for the real unique ones.

$1-5k for something decent. Unless you know someone.

In MT you have to re-register your brand(s) every 10 years.

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
Expensive registration too.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
In colorado to register a new brand it must be at least 3 characters. A new brand is $200 to register(unless it went up). $300 for 5 years assessment to maintain registration. If a guy wants a single or 2-digit brand, you have to buy an existing one.... And be prepared to PAY....

Last edited by huntsman22; 05/25/17.
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
J
They were going to try that here too, cant remember if they got it done.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sadly, that equipment has done away with a social event involving near all the neighbors. Efficient, yes. Progress? Not so sure.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did yall keep the oysters or throw them away??

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Arizona actually has a pretty good system for brand registration. A hot brand is the only legally recognized method of identifying the owner. All brands have to be registered with the Arizona Department of Agriculture. Unbranded, weaned cattle are free game (mavericks, slicks).

You can submit a design for your own brand and go through the approval process which takes about six months. The brand has to be advertised to see if there are any objections. Must be a minimum of two characters. I think the cost is about $100.00 plus a $50.00 registration fee for five years.

You can pick up an brand that has been allowed to lapse and that requires a $50.00 renewal fee for five years. Department of Agriculture posts abandoned brands in the "Cattlelog", official publication of the Arizona Cattle Growers Association.

You can buy a brand from someone but that is a private transaction between the buyer and seller. Buyer then has to register the brand with ADOA.

There are still a few cattle inspectors in the state but most producers have "Self-inspection Forms" which are used to move cattle from pasture to pasture or from pasture to the sale barn. Inspector still has to inspect private treaty sales. Slaughter houses and sale barns require inspection forms before they will accept cattle.

Renewal fee is $50.00 for five years.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (1minute, 1234, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1OntarioJim, 65 invisible), 2,416 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,155
Posts18,484,308
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.