Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
So I asked Grandpa why we always put the boat on the bouy, even in clear skies. His answer stuck with me and often comes to mind, even all these years later. "So we can sleep when the wind blows," he'd say.

I like it. Smart man.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by hogan

Vetted?

What does that matter if the mfr provides Lifetime Transferable warranty and does warranty repair in KS?.

Yep. Why would it matter that the device you use to aim actually works.....?

Do you think about what you write before you type it out, or just throw it up there to see what happens?

As for the article- the world is full of people that have never done what they are talking about, but can't wait to tell you all about it.

TFF!!!!! Only on the wild Internet can so much entertainment be obtained for free!!!!! LMAO

Take care, Willie

Cry to the heavens and let slip the dogs of war. For they must feed on the bones of tyranny. In order for men to have freedom and liberty.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Maxlab
Originally Posted by RickBin
Gents:

You definitely need to include these Zeiss V6 in this discussion:

[Linked Image]

I had a chance to wring them out at the FTW Ranch, and there was a whole lot to like about 'em. The teachers there are retired snipers, know their [bleep] cold, and EVERYONE was impressed with these things.

Made in Germany, all the bells, whistles and coatings on the optics, this model (3-18x50) has 103 MOA elevation, and, last but not least, repeatability was impeccable.

I will personally own one of these as soon as they arrive in US markets, which is slated for early summer.

These are the real deal.

RickBin,

Can you tell me how this scope's performance is in low light? I have this scop on order, but I'm very curious to know how it performs in low light. I have only read 2 reviews from 2 individuals that were at the FTW all were positive but they said the low light performance was ok. I would have thought it would be good, since this scope is using the same glass used in the Victory Scopes from Zeiss. Just would like another opinion before I purchase this scope. If not I may go with a Z5

Max:

Full-on Schott glass and Zeiss' premium multi-coatings in these. The last thing to worry about is low-light performance.

I got to use all 3 models. They were superb. The 3-18x50 is my huckleberry.

Rick

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
M
M
Thanks for the info.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by wdenike
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

Vetted?

What does that matter if the mfr provides Lifetime Transferable warranty and does warranty repair in KS?.

Yep. Why would it matter that the device you use to aim actually works.....?

Do you think about what you write before you type it out, or just throw it up there to see what happens?

As for the article- the world is full of people that have never done what they are talking about, but can't wait to tell you all about it.

TFF!!!!! Only on the wild Internet can so much entertainment be obtained for free!!!!! LMAO

Take care, Willie

Kind of missed the point, didn't ya?
NOTHING is made perfect by anybody...

Could relate a few experiences, (not stories), actual product defect situations I had to endure that "great (vetted?) companies chose not to make right; but so what?

If you look at life as some kind of daily shell-game experience, where everybody is out to cheat you out of a buck, then I can understand trying to limit your chances of being scammed.

If everyone had waited until NightForce or Vortex were "vetted" to buy their products, then they probably wouldn't have become the companies they are today. There are, afterall, consumer protections and reasons that a new firm KNOWS it has to deliver innovative and better products if it is going to ever be successful.

Not everyone is a prospective buyer for many reasons.
Whatever makes you happy.

For others who might venture to try a new thing, sometimes you score big! And sometimes you score big and get a lifetime guarantee that you won't be disappointed later if there's ever a problem.
That's even better!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Maxlab
Gents:

[Linked Image]

I had a chance to wring them out at the FTW Ranch, and there was a whole lot to like about 'em. The teachers there are retired snipers, know their [bleep] cold, and EVERYONE was impressed with these things.

Made in Germany, all the bells, whistles and coatings on the optics, this model (3-18x50) has 103 MOA elevation, and, last but not least, repeatability was impeccable.

I will personally own one of these as soon as they arrive in US markets, which is slated for early summer.

These are the real deal.

RickBin,

Can you tell me how this scope's performance is in low light? I have this scop on order, but I'm very curious to know how it performs in low light. I have only read 2 reviews from 2 individuals that were at the FTW all were positive but they said the low light performance was ok. I would have thought it would be good, since this scope is using the same glass used in the Victory Scopes from Zeiss. Just would like another opinion before I purchase this scope. If not I may go with a Z5

Max:

Full-on Schott glass and Zeiss' premium multi-coatings in these. The last thing to worry about is low-light performance.

I got to use all 3 models. They were superb. The 3-18x50 is my huckleberry.

Rick

Already being a Zeiss guy, I have a new item on my list of wants and desires.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I wouldn't own a Zeiss if it were free. Their scopes are junk. Good spotters and OK binoculars though. Best scope under $1500....Sightron. They actually track and repeat correctly.

Another odd claim is that you need ffp for long range. All my scopes are sfp and I shoot long range a lot. There are trade offs to both...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dog,

What do you think of the Super Sniper variables in SFP?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I wouldn't own a Zeiss if it were free. Their scopes are junk. Good spotters and OK binoculars though. Best scope under $1500....Sightron. They actually track and repeat correctly.

Another odd claim is that you need ffp for long range. All my scopes are sfp and I shoot long range a lot. There are trade offs to both...

Strong words on Zeiss but I guess you have earned the right and may be right. However, I own a victory that is flawless in its tracking. I was hesitant about their tracking ability when I picked up my 1st one. I actually posted a question here about their turret precision with no answer. I have not spun it a lot so it may fail but I will give it the chance. It's only flaw isn't really a flaw at all. It's FFP #8 reticle is a fantastic hunting reticle but for long range precision work it is too heavy at full power and the subtensions are too wide for any reference. Again it is perfect through the magnification range for hunting. The scope serves its intended purpose very well since I will only dial to 400 or so with it on game depending on wind.

FFP VS SFP is a matter of reticle design and personal preference. At low power the FFP referencing reticles are often hard to see until you get into mid power and up. Some are better than others but you get accurate feedback at all powers if you can read it. SFP Reiticles only provide accurate references at full power. Half power with an accurate zoom dial. For guys that don't like to shoot at max power this can pose a problem. Again a matter of personal preference. I tend to shoot at top power past 300 yards depending on the top value.

A scope with a reticle that doesn't match the dial is an absolute abomination to me. i.e. Mild dot with MOA turret. Stupid in my opinion...

Buy a MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA. Don't mix them. K.I.S.S.

The trend in tacticool has created a lot of new scopes and technologies. Shooters have a lot to choose from nowadays. I cannot deny that the new SWFA 12x42 has been impressive for its purpose. I paid less than $250 for it. Is it birder glass? No, but who really cares?

Last edited by CBB15; 05/31/17.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Argos 8-34x was superb out to 1100yds when tested at my local airport.

Sad that this is the kind of 'testing' recommendations are based on.

IC B3

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Gents:

Friend of mine has a Zeiss Conquest V6 https://goo.gl/y8MpXA amazing quality. Okay just over $1,500 but the view is amazing! blush

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
So we can sleep when the wind blows
The best info I recieved today Thanks

Locally we have a really awesome gun smith
The only thing I think I have ever strongly disagreed with is thier scopes
I know why they sell them but its marketing for thier store

They always come back to the life time warrenty and I always think so what
All the Locals have this brand on thier gun and talk about how great they are most dont even have the eye piece adjusted (didnt know it was adjustable)
But honestly that are great guys and have great service just dont care for thier scope recommendations

This is probably why Cops dont carry Taurus they have a life time warrenty but do you trust your life to a warrenty?

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find it funny the number of people here that judge the quality of long range optics solely based on glass clarity.

You are not going to beat a Nightforfce NXS (used or on sale) in that price range.

Last edited by wareagle700; 08/12/17.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the zeiss looks pretty cool, I like my NF nxs, not crazy about the reticle for hunting here in the woods.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wareagle700
I find it funny the number of people here that judge the quality of long range optics solely based on glass clarity.

+1

Adequate+ glass with superior function is where my money goes...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by leftycarbon
Best LRScope.....One that above all is reliable. Been said before that a great warranty is almost worthless when your hundreds of miles from home on top of a mountain in bump ass no where.

In 2010 a had a coveted mule deer tag that took years to get. I put a new scope on my .260 in early spring and shot the hell out of it all summer..all good!
When the season opened I backpacked into a area I had scouted all summer. About a 4 1/2 hr pack in & rained the whole way in. Next morning out before first light to a basin where I had been seeing 2 really good bucks most of the summer. Sure enough they were there. got within 350 yards set up waiting for a little more light and WTF could not see through my scope. Totally fogged. I thought about trying to center the deer in the scope and trying a shot but thought better of it. Decided to back out and see if I could get the scope cleared up. At camp tried to unscrew the eyepiece..no go. Warmed it up a little and just made the fog turn to droplets. Screwed! Put my pack on, left my camp and hauled down the mountain. Got in the car drove 75 miles to my house got my other rifle. By then it was late so stayed over nite got up and hiked back up there. Surprisingly I bumped into another hunter who also had a high country tag. He just "missed" a huge buck in the same basin 1/4 mile from my camp.. Hunted the rest of the week, passed some smaller bucks and ate tag soup.

Sent the scope back and it was repaired and back in 2 weeks..great but....

My .260 now wears a Nightforce and I have not draw a high country mule deer tag since 2010.

So much for warranty's

LC

Great post. Leaving out the scope brand involved must have taken considerable effort!

Never packed in anywere, but I always took a spare rifle to camp when hunting far from home (more than an hour). Never had to use it, but it was there for just such situations. This is also why hunting rifles used to wear irons, which while limited, are better than completely wasting a trip. A spare, lightweight, pre-sighted scope, when weight considerations allow, or even a red dot weighing a couple of ounces would be cheap insurance in such a case. Wouldn't have saved your shot opportunity, but would have kept you in the game.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow, I could not have left out the brand name.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
i would think the materials, manufacturing processes and chemistry that goes into quality optics, or anything else, determine the cost.
You may pay more for the high end but you also have a better chance of getting a better product.The less you pay the better chance you have of getting a lesser product. I shy away from products that talk too much of the great warranty. I would rather hear why their product won't need the warranty or what the return rate is. A product with free replacement means it did not cost much to produce. with me a free replacement will be sent down the road. A lifetime warranty just tells me the manufacturer does not have confidence in what they are selling.
As far as a 1500$ scope. An nxs nightforce would be near the top, it may not be the brightest, but the resolution and mechanics will be excellent. a used s&b, or a german zeiss(not the american market zeiss) would be a choice.. i am sure there are others, but i have experience with these.

Last edited by foogle; 08/13/17. Reason: spell

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by wareagle700

+1

Adequate+ glass with superior function is where my money goes...

I am not a fan of the NF IHR, and i don't like their moar, I have not looked at a mil dot type set up from them. My perception is that most manufacturers make either a sniper scope or a hunting scope... a perfect setup for me would be a zeiss Z plex in a NF 2.5-10 x 42. smile

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Really ? The standard I use is which scope(s) do the job which includes stay zeroed when they get whacked good and hard. For that, you need experience or the experience of those you trust.
Half the cost of a Leupold, Burris, etc. is in the warranty costs ? Well, let's see here. I've got an old Leupold that I bought second hand many years ago. Made in the early 80's ? No letters in the serial number it's so old. I've got another that I bought new made in the late 80's. I've got an old B&L I bought new in 1972.
The B&L has been wacked really hard in one fall and less so in several others. No repair costs. The second hand scope has had a similar history. Two repairs, one for a reticle, and one for a frozen AO. The 80's scope I bought new, has had one broken reticle. The B&L has never needed repair.
Then there are the "old Leupolds" I bought 10-17 yrs. ago that have needed nothing. That includes three 6X42's, two FXII's, 4X's, one 3.5-10X40, and one 3-9X33 Compact. And you are trying to tell me their costs were 50% for repairs ?
BTW, I've seen more than one etched reticle break. At least the wire reticles I've broken still allowed me to use the still zeroed scope. When the etched ones break, the whole thing shatters. E

Last edited by Oheremicus; 08/13/17.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 10Glocks, 280shooter, 2500HD, 34 invisible), 1,738 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,874
Posts18,478,810
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.