Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
So if it all has to be perfect then it sounds like an 06 and 180 partition is better

If it's all going to be perfect, then almost anything can be made to do the job. The new Savage and Ruger machine rifles routinely shoot sub-half-minute Creedmoor groups. You can theoretically slip one right down the ear canal and not even put a hole in the hide. Trouble is, out in the wilderness, things are rarely, almost never, perfect. That's why I want some survivable margin for error, such as provided by a heavier rifle.

W.D.M. Bell was famous for brainshooting elephants with a small caliber Rigby, but there is a reason that's not legal in most countries in Africa any more. And it has to do as much with wounding and losing a magnificent animal as it does with the danger of Timbo turning the hunter into Bwanabutter.

So the only way I would hunt a brown bear with a 6.5 Creedmoor would be with a guide beside me who has a .375 H&H. Or maybe a .416!

Last edited by bearbacker; 05/05/17.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bearbacker
So if it all has to be perfect then it sounds like an 06 and 180 partition is better

. You can theoretically slip one right down the ear canal and not even put a hole in the hide. Trouble is, out in the wilderness, things are rarely, almost never, perfect.

I realize you were being funny there... but OlBlue from here did shoot a Kodiak brown bear exactly through the earhole without ruining even the slightest bit of hide! But (butt?) he did it the hard way. First shot went through ribs broadside and the next was a Texas heart shot. The bullet hit a butt cheek and traveled full length through the bear, exiting EXACTLY through the ear hole! His stunt rifle that day was a 375H&H with 300gr NPTs, btw.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Blue gots skeelz, man!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'll never live it down😉 --- Mel

The only thing I'm an expert at is my own opinion, and I have plenty of those!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by olblue
I'll never live it down😉 --- Mel

Not just everyone has poked a bear in the butt and the ear at the same time!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by 458Win
When I started guiding it seemed like the majority of hunters brought their older, well used rifles. Today I would say at least half bring new magnums purchased for the hunt.
After all, what better excuse is there to buy a new rifle ?

Flip side?

Ima gonna drop a pile of money on a hunt far away and buy a new rifle I can barely shoot!
lol...

Us Loonies never criticize someone for buying a new gun, just 'cause... wink

BUT, you gotta be able to shoot it.
DF
Not criticizing someone (anyone) buying a new gun.
BTDT.

Just agreeing w/ Phil about a DSMFer that's never shot anything beyond say a 243 showing up w/ a 338WM for their bear hunt. Hey! The guy at Cabelas even bore sighted it for him!!

True story: I think it was Peterson's Hunting many years ago had a story about a young guy who shot a record or near record, or anyway -- a big bull, in one of the western states with a 300 Win Mag. IIRC, it was somewhere around 400 yards.

The story went on -- unbelievably so -- to note that though Cabelas bore-sighted the rifle at purchase on the way out west the young man had not had time to fire it before the hunt. 😳 😯

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by bearbacker

. You can theoretically slip one right down the ear canal and not even put a hole in the hide. Trouble is, out in the wilderness, things are rarely, almost never, perfect.

I realize you were being funny there... but OlBlue from here did shoot a Kodiak brown bear exactly through the earhole without ruining even the slightest bit of hide! But (butt?) he did it the hard way. First shot went through ribs broadside and the next was a Texas heart shot. The bullet hit a butt cheek and traveled full length through the bear, exiting EXACTLY through the ear hole! His stunt rifle that day was a 375H&H with 300gr NPTs, btw.

Yeah, I was making an attempt at humor, but about a serious subject. I am still a firm believer in using enough gun, as OlBlue obviously did, when hunting anything that bites! And he believes it too if he was willing to carry the extra weight and put up with the extra recoil of the heavier caliber rifle. Even so, he suffered an obvious bullet failure because it WAY overpenetrated, right?? (grin)

Now I have a question: Can he do it again? And where do I buy a ticket to watch that show?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'd personally hunt them with 6.5 or 7 with a 160 if I had the chance and was hot on that particular rifle.

There is not an animal on this continent that cannot be HUNTED and cleanly dispatched with 260 or 708 a stout bullet and good placement IMHO.

Perfection in this case (Brown Bear) is a 338WM IMHO

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know Heimo Korth, who I guess is featured on some reality TV show, don't know as I have never owned one, but he is also featured in the book The Final Frontiersman. For the past nearly 40 years his hunting rifle, for moose, grizzlies and caribou has been a 22-250 ! And he has taken probably 8 or 10 grizzlies with it since I have know him.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heimo is a hunter's hunter. One of a kind. And he feeds that 788 22-250 Federal blue box!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After seeing how a .308 win took down a 9.5' brown bear with Federal Fusions at 2450 fps and a 30-06 with Yellow/Green box 180s at 2700 fps also took a 9.5 brown bear with one shot, I would have no qualms about using a 140 A Frame at 2800 fps from a 6.5 of any sort.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I will never in the rest of my life ever go on a Brown Bear hunt and do believe any cal will kill a Bear, but it really comes down to one that will kill it really quick in a life and death situlation bear attack. So as Elmer Keith used to say, carry enough gun. One of the best light weight Bear Guns in my opinion would be a lever action heavy loaded 45-70.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Killing one and stopping one are two totally different things. FWIW.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Killing one and stopping one are two totally different things. FWIW.

Yet most folks carry a .44 mag or 10mm for their stopping a charging bear choice wink

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I love reading any thread about big bears.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
An interesting "bear gun" photo:

http://vilda.alaska.edu/cdm/ref/collection/cdmg21/id/99

Bruce

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Based on empirical evidence, I suspect charge-stopping cartridges begin around .35 caliber--at least in handguns, like the S&W 9mm Phil Shoemaker used to stop the last brown bear that charged him.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Haha that's my point. Folks say you need a bigger gun to stop a charging bear than hunt one, yet they turn their nose up to smaller cartridges to hunt with while carrying that pistol on their hip in case one charges. smile

And yes everyone knows Phil stopped one with a 9mm. smile

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've never stopped a charging bear. But I've stared down a big porcupine. I was glad I had my .416 with me.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 222Sako, 60 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,444 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,173
Posts18,484,607
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.