Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Awesome stuff guys...
The 24HCF brain trust is absolutely invaluable....

The last coupla' years here it's been ticks, no real flea problems for many years, thankfully.....breaking the life cycle for either or both is not as simple as it could be,.....so cycling the applications based on RESULTS, versus doctrine is the doctrine we've hatched out,...and a "less is better" attitude seems to be working,...

The systemics are HARD on your dogs,...so it's a balancing act as to lesser evils,.....plague and tick borne illnesses at times justifying the hardship.

Topical application ? I'm having real success with this product, ."Endure Sweat resistant fly spray for horses"

Link: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=16015

Costs a buck more than the water based Piranha that I'd been using,

Link: https://www.pyranhainc.com/products/for-horses

but the dogs got downright obstinate about the Piranha's strong citronella odor, ....started hiding when they saw the stuff in hand.

I use this on my clothing, for gnats, ticks, and mosquitoes,....good stuff, if you can stand the odor

They seem to LIKE the Endure, and it damn sure does hang onto them longer than the Piranha.

As much as I'd rather not,.....I've been using the Bi-phen based concentrate from Tractor Supply in and around the buildings and on the grounds, NOT in the food growing areas, though.

Luck, Sal,....hoping you get a handle on the pesky little bastids.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 05/26/17.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by slumlord
WD-40?? Pffft!!!

Mehhh, I've moved up to Gumout carb-n-choke cleaner.

Next, I might just try backing over my dogs in the driveway like ol drunk crossfire does.

Well, speaking of pesky little bastids, ....look what turned up.

Baching tonight , no date ?
.....all your cousins and sisters gone for the holiday ?

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Shadetree, I can only testify to my experience. Here in Florida, combating fleas was a way of life for me regarding my dogs. I had been using one product or another for seventeen years while here with dogs. I never even knew that anyone claimed switching to a raw meat, bone, and organ diet would help with the problem. Since switching about a year and a half ago to that diet, the anti-flea products I had (which had been previously in regular use) stayed in the the cabinet. There just weren't any fleas to use them for. Only then did I start researching the issue, since I could think of no other connection than that between switching diet and the disappearance of the fleas. As it turned out, this is a common observation, and the rationale regarding sweet blood made perfect sense to me.

PS I've seen lots of video on YouTube of foxes stealing commercial dog and cat food off porches, not to mention food from garbage. It's likely that many of them have incorporated these sources into their regular diets.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Shadetree, I can only testify to my experience. Here in Florida, combating fleas was a way of life for me regarding my dogs. I had been using one product or another for seventeen years while here with dogs. I never even knew that anyone claimed switching to a raw meat, bone, and organ diet would help with the problem. Since switching about a year and a half ago to that diet, the anti-flea products I had (which had been previously in regular use) stayed in the the cabinet. There just weren't any fleas to use them for. Only then did I start researching the issue, since I could think of no other connection than that between switching diet and the disappearance of the fleas. As it turned out, this is a common observation, and the rationale regarding sweet blood made perfect sense to me.

PS I've seen lots of video on YouTube of foxes stealing commercial dog and cat food off porches, not to mention food from garbage. It's likely that many of them have incorporated these sources into their regular diets.

I never said feeding a raw diet didn't or could not help. I never denied it's benefits or reasons for those benefits. I know all about the benefits of keeping a dog at its optimum health. I denied your claims. You made the blanket statement that feed a raw diet and fleas will no more infest your dog than they would your coffee table. That is both fundamentally and physically false.

Here is an article from a vet discussing the benefits of feeding a raw diet, in it he specifically addresses your claim. Quoting here. "So, is a raw diet a cure-all, including for fleas? Of course not. A good diet is the fuel for your dog's body, but it would be a mistake to think that a raw diet can prevent flea infestation completely. It happens less often, but it still happens!"

Also this. "To summarize, dogs are less prone to fleas and other parasites if they are healthy however, there is a certain tipping point where even a healthy dog will get fleas and you will need to deal with the infestation."

I stand completely behind my claim that if your dog gets infested with fleas it will need treated with a lot more than raw hamburger to get rid of them.

Here is the article in its entirety. https://peterdobias.com/blogs/blog/34542021-can-feeding-a-raw-diet-prevent-fleas

As far as the videos you put up, that wasn't what I was talking about and you know it. How many rednecks putting up 100-200 plus furs a yr do you know that are traveling into suburbs knocking on doors asking the tree huggers if they can trap or shoot the neighborhood scavengers in the area?? Or going to city dumps to trap and hunt the scroungy stuff living there. C'mon. I'm talking about trapping and hunting wild fox and coyotes, and there's plenty of them with flea problems. It runs in cycles, some areas and yrs are worse than others, but it's there.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rylee1
Had the same problem last year. I had used Frontline plus for years but last year it had zero effect on the little buggers. I switched to seresto collars and have not had a problem since.

This...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That "vet" (small v) is a shill, pushing a theory,.........a healthy animal attracts just as many parasites as one on the ropes.

...this is just more of this "feel good" chit from TRH,........remember, some years back we were all gonna' die from eating beef ?
Now, today, he's pimping Arby's.

GTC

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Again, I can only speak of my experience, and there was an amazing transformation with regard to fleas, and it was connected with a diet change.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Also TRH you are unknowingly talking to somebody that has dealt with dogs as a lifestyle since knee high to a grasshopper and takes your practice of feeding raw, and amps it up about 30 degrees. If you want your dogs bouncing up and down in uncontrolled excitement at mealtime and looking like a million bucks freshly printed, try this if you can stomach it, no pun intended.

I feed fresh cow stomach right from a butcher shop every week. Properly known as raw tripe, or green tripe. It's loaded up with digestive enzymes and good bacteria. Has the perfect balance of phosphorus to calcium 1:1. All kinds of good fatty acids including both Linoleic & Linolenic, in their recommended proportions, and a good protein and fat content, along with probiotics. The rubbery texture cleans their teeth better than any expensive cleaning at a vet, and makes them work their jaws as much as much as feeding bones. HIGHLY digestible. A dogs clean out amount will be reduced by half.

About as close to the perfect dog food as you can get. Some people would gag just handling it. I don't mind it and feed it because I know what it is, and see the results. You will need a working knowledge of how to keep a knife sharp because cutting off chunks of that everyday will dull it on a weekly basis. Obviously my dogs don't eat in the house.

One is alone in a land so vast, there is only the mountains, the wind, and the eyes of God.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ShadeTree
Also TRH you are unknowingly talking to somebody that has dealt with dogs as a lifestyle since knee high to a grasshopper and takes your practice of feeding raw, and amps it up about 30 degrees. If you want your dogs bouncing up and down in uncontrolled excitement at mealtime and looking like a million bucks freshly printed, try this if you can stomach it, no pun intended.

I feed fresh cow stomach right from a butcher shop every week. Properly known as raw tripe, or green tripe. It's loaded up with digestive enzymes and good bacteria. Has the perfect balance of phosphorus to calcium 1:1. All kinds of good fatty acids including both Linoleic & Linolenic, in their recommended proportions, and a good protein and fat content, along with probiotics. The rubbery texture cleans their teeth better than any expensive cleaning at a vet, and makes them work their jaws as much as much as feeding bones. HIGHLY digestible. A dogs clean out amount will be reduced by half.

About as close to the perfect dog food as you can get. Some people would gag just handling it. I don't mind it and feed it because I know what it is, and see the results. You will need a working knowledge of how to keep a knife sharp because cutting off chunks of that everyday will dull it on a weekly basis. Obviously my dogs don't eat in the house.

I've been trying tripe in their diet all this time, but they are less than enthusiastic about it, and only seem reluctantly to eat it, often leaving much of it in the bowl. They like heart, kidney, and liver, though.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by ShadeTree

I've been trying tripe in their diet all this time, but they are less than enthusiastic about it, and only seem reluctantly to eat it, often leaving much of it in the bowl. They like heart, kidney, and liver, though.

You must be buying it pre-packaged from somewhere and not getting a whole fresh cow stomach from a butcher that you cut up is all I can say. My dogs will eat fresh beef liver last if I cut them a slice and give them that and cow stomach. I haven't found much of anything that they would prefer over it. My wife makes homemade yogurt from milk right out of the bulk tank from a local dairy farm here. She gives the dogs some here and there just because she knows how good it is for them, that and she's a softie and likes to spoil stuff. Just last evening she had given them some as I was cutting up pieces to feed. The one dog was still cleaning up yogurt in its bowl when I tossed it its piece of cow stomach. It left the bowl and went to work on the cow stomach. True as I'm typing this.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I love cow stomach

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I was younger cow stomach was the standard used by the old timers to put weight on a dog quickly. A dog that was pulled down hard by pups, or was just run down from being worked hard and not being able to take in enough calories. Give a dog what it will eat in cow stomach every day and in a week it can go from looking like death warmed over to needing cut back on feed. It will pack weight on like crazy if you let a dog eat what it wants of it every day. I've seen it turn around dogs in very short order. It was always used as a temporary feed when needed that was thought to be really high in fat.

Now that modern science is able to fully analyze it, it turns out its not really high in fat, just really nutritious and highly digestible. Fat content is around 11%. I was experimenting with raw diets with dogs before the internet was ever invented and people could look it up. All the way back in the early 1980's. Cow stomach is by far the easiest and best thing I've found out of the things I've tried over the yrs. To me it's one of the best feeds I could give other than maybe some of the very expensive premium dog foods.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by hanco
I love cow stomach

Ha. If you're eating cow stomach you are eating that bleached stuff you can buy in some grocery stores or butcher shops. Not sure what if any nutritional value it would have at that point, but I know people that eat it. I'll take your word for it that it's good. Now filled pig stomach on the other hand I might knock you out of the way to beat you to it. Lol.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 2,276 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,399
Posts18,470,113
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.