Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If I take off that stupid 6 position stock from my Ruger AR-556 and put on an A-2 stock, do I use the rifle buffer and spring that comes with the set, or get a spacer and use the original set?

I read that the rifle buffer has the same reciprocal weight as an H2, but I see nothing of a comparison of the spring weights. Slowing the cycle speed is fine with me, as long as it doesn't short stroke. Currently the cycling of the rifle seems a bit harsh, at least compared to my 20".

Last edited by Armednfree; 05/27/17.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
GB1

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The A2 stock uses a rifle buffer, spring, receiver extension tube and a spacer.

None of the stupid 6 position stock kit is useable with the A2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
The A2 stock uses a rifle buffer, spring, receiver extension tube and a spacer.

None of the stupid 6 position stock kit is useable with the A2

So it is OK to use the rifle buffer and spring with that rifle? I don't want to beat it to death.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Armednfree
...So it is OK to use the rifle buffer and spring with that rifle? I don't want to beat it to death.

Yes. Give it a try and check your ejection pattern. As noted in another recent thread here about a new build, you should find your spent brass in a pile to your 4:00 if a righty, and at 8:00 if you're a lefty.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Rifle buffer is heavier than an H2 buffer and the spring is longer. It will probably be smoother shooting.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
...So it is OK to use the rifle buffer and spring with that rifle? I don't want to beat it to death.

Yes. Give it a try and check your ejection pattern. As noted in another recent thread here about a new build, you should find your spent brass in a pile to your 4:00 if a righty, and at 8:00 if you're a lefty.

Ed

Right now it ejects factory FMJ, Norma Tac-223 55 grain is what I'm shooting, nicely at 4:00. My 748 load, 27 grains, and my TAC load, 26 grains, falls between 2:30 and 3:00.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The rifle buffer and spring may put your reloads where they should be at 4:00.

Just for future reference, here's the weights of different buffers.

carbine - 2.9 oz
H - 3.8 oz
H2 -4.6 oz
Rifle -5.2 oz
9mm -5.5 oz
H3 -5.6 oz

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I did some research. Apparently the AR-556 is shipped with a carbine buffer, 3oz. While that works good with standard pressure 223 it is a bit too light for 5.56 level loads. I figure it probably will still work with the Norma tac-223 but will be better with the reloads. Hopefully. That UTG A-2 stock cost me $26.

Last edited by Armednfree; 05/28/17.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The thing to remember is the rifle buffer weighs more so it delays the bolt opening after the shot, this is esier on your brass. The spring has a softer spring rate but is longer so it isn't quite as violent on return yet it allows milder loads to function just fine. (This is with correct gas port sizing and a stock change only)

The whole system was designed with a rifle stock and the collapsable carbine stock was an after thought. It's taken many years to get the carbine stocked gun to work right and some companies still have no clue. Point is, you shouldn't have any trouble with the rifle stock system.

Of course there are companies that cut corners on all their products but the correctly made parts should be GTG.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
save yourself some trouble and get the A2 rifle Buffer and Spring and you will be much happier in the long run

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
The things people do...

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bea175
save yourself some trouble and get the A2 rifle Buffer and Spring and you will be much happier in the long run

That all comes together.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by liliysdad
The things people do...

You mean like change a rifle to your liking? Everything aft of the receiver I hate. What the hell do I need a collapsible stock for. Getting in and out of vehicles, room clearing? Not going to happen, and stupid to think it is.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The things people do...

You mean like change a rifle to your liking? Everything aft of the receiver I hate. What the hell do I need a collapsible stock for. Getting in and out of vehicles, room clearing? Not going to happen, and stupid to think it is.

I totally agree with you buddy. Not going to be happening with me either, unless world war 3 happens. In such an unfortunate event, none of us are going to last long anyway, regardless of how light, heavy, short or long our barrel is or how heavy our butt stock is.... wink.. My main use for the AR's I have is to play around at the range and shoot the AR challenge or local shoots. I'm almost to the point where I'm going to sell my bolt action .223 rem varmint rifle and just use the AR's for that as well....

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The things people do...

I totally agree with you buddy. Not going to be happening with me either, unless world war 3 happens. In such an unfortunate event, none of us are going to last long anyway, regardless of how light, heavy, short or long our barrel is or how heavy our butt stock is.... wink.. My main use for the AR's I have is to play around at the range and shoot the AR challenge or local shoots. I'm almost to the point where I'm going to sell my bolt action .223 rem varmint rifle and just use the AR's for that as well....

You have all these war movies, but even more all these video games. These people think they just have to get all that tacti-cool crap so they can do that. Well guess what numb nuts, you ain't going to do that chit.

I know one kid (22) that keeps on coming up with this crap. Lights, lasers, quad rails. I tell the dumb little twit, " Get a reloading outfit, make ammo and learn to shoot." Oh, and he's hanging all this crap on an M+P Sport. Gees

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The things people do...

You have all these war movies, but even more all these video games. These people think they just have to get all that tacti-cool crap so they can do that. Well guess what numb nuts, you ain't going to do that chit.

I know one kid (22) that keeps on coming up with this crap. Lights, lasers, quad rails. I tell the dumb little twit, " Get a reloading outfit, make ammo and learn to shoot." Oh, and he's hanging all this crap on an M+P Sport. Gees

laugh
I hear you man.. Good luck with your stock. I am just now printing off an AR parts checklist to make sure I ordered up everything for my Noveske build.. Should be pretty bad azzed when done: Meaning it will shoot the tits off a flea at 100 yards... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wow.

I was trying to be helpful and just relay some info out there cause you wanted to replace your stupid 6 position stock, no good deed goes unpunished.

I have been around AR's for a pretty good while now and it didn't take me long to realize that the A2 stock is almost the stupidest thing I've seen on an AR. An A1 is a much better setup but the material is a little fragile so I took to collapsable stocks long ago. Now let me say that I'm 52, never played a video game and am pretty sure I'm not going to get called up for service. I do play a few shooting games from time to time but only because it's fun. I guess you could say I even play sniper cause I shoot steel on our 800 yard range but I do it with a light weight carbean.

I do know that an A2 stock is too long for me, my wife, my kids and grand kids. I do know the SOPMOD stock feels better to me due to cheek weld and the straight rubber pad. I can adjust it to fit me if it's 10 degrees or 110 degrees outside. It also can be adjusted to fit the slightest person in my family. By figuring a few things out and buying quality parts, I don't have any problems with ejection, extraction or recoil impulse. I did say the collapsable stock was an after thought but it is one of the best upgrades the AR has ever had.

As for rails and lights, it's alot easier to shoot a coyote or pig when the light is attached to your gun. Yes I usually have a red spot light or even a red head lamp scanning but when it comes time to shoot, a white light attached to your gun is handy. I've added a short rail to a few Hogue tubes over the years and tried the tacticool full rails. Now I just use what works best for me and try not to pass judgement on those who don't know what they don't know.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
The things people do...

Just as stupid to think those are the only reasons for collapsible stocks.

Change your rifle around how you want, nobody cares, but dang there's a lot of willful stupidity in this thread.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
Wow.

I was trying to be helpful and just relay some info out there cause you wanted to replace your stupid 6 position stock, no good deed goes unpunished.

I have been around AR's for a pretty good while now and it didn't take me long to realize that the A2 stock is almost the stupidest thing I've seen on an AR. An A1 is a much better setup but the material is a little fragile so I took to collapsable stocks long ago. Now let me say that I'm 52, never played a video game and am pretty sure I'm not going to get called up for service. I do play a few shooting games from time to time but only because it's fun. I guess you could say I even play sniper cause I shoot steel on our 800 yard range but I do it with a light weight carbean.

I do know that an A2 stock is too long for me, my wife, my kids and grand kids. I do know the SOPMOD stock feels better to me due to cheek weld and the straight rubber pad. I can adjust it to fit me if it's 10 degrees or 110 degrees outside. It also can be adjusted to fit the slightest person in my family. By figuring a few things out and buying quality parts, I don't have any problems with ejection, extraction or recoil impulse. I did say the collapsable stock was an after thought but it is one of the best upgrades the AR has ever had.

As for rails and lights, it's alot easier to shoot a coyote or pig when the light is attached to your gun. Yes I usually have a red spot light or even a red head lamp scanning but when it comes time to shoot, a white light attached to your gun is handy. I've added a short rail to a few Hogue tubes over the years and tried the tacticool full rails. Now I just use what works best for me and try not to pass judgement on those who don't know what they don't know.

I can see how the A-2 Stock might not work for you and you family, Me, with my size, it fits pretty good. As far as lights for hunting, I agree, but most guys putting lights on AR's are not doing it for hunting. It's a cost benefit thing, and more often that cost is best spent on ammo and practice.

Last edited by Armednfree; 05/28/17.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I would wager there arent three guys in this entire thread, maybe the entire subforum, that actually fit an A2 stock.The A1 is better, but not much, and like said, is a fragile POS. Old folks tend to like way too much LOP for some reason.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 21, 65 invisible), 2,439 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,414
Posts18,470,481
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.