Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
After years of thinking about what this rifle would look like, I've dreamed of a Mauser based hunting rifle since my early teens... The donor 1909 barreled action has arrived. Now to start accumulating the rest of the parts...[list]
-McMillan Win featherweight if they'll do a Mauser inlet, Mark X if not
-Wisner two position safety/shroud
-23" CM featherweight contour
-new trigger- unsure as to which one
-black cerakote barreled action

What I'm unsure of is caliber. This will be my main hunting rifle, 80% deer, 20% elk. I don't want to open up the bolt face or alter feed rails, knowing the mag box length I don't think my original plan of 280AI will work, unless someone has a cheap fix. Thoughts?

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Good Morning Nick,
That's beautiful! I'd go .270 Winchester or 7x57. Do you have a gunsmith yet for this build? So how's the family doing? I'm trying to get Laura out of bed so we can make the 0900 church service.
Take care,
Joe

Last edited by DoeSlayer; 05/28/17.

"The only two things in life that make it worth livin'
Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women"
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks Joe,
Working on the gunsmith, it's going to take me long enough to get the parts together... Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep in touch with you as it progresses. Good luck getting to church, not happening for us this morning, bad cold running around the house and the inlaws will be here in a couple hours...
Happy Memorial day weekend!
Nick

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
6.5x55 or 7x57 would get my vote

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
My Left Hand Mauser action is currently being transformed into a .270. Second choice would be a toss up between 6.5x55 and 7x57.

IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
.275 Rigby

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
.275 Rigby

Rookie question on 275. I know it and 7x57 are one in the same to point of interchanging ammo but are the chamber specs and traditional twist rates any different between the two? Is it simply a case of Rigby renaming an existing military round?

Thanks,
Nick

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Consider the 7x64 Brenneke.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by evans1010
.275 Rigby

Rookie question on 275. I know it and 7x57 are one in the same to point of interchanging ammo but are the chamber specs and traditional twist rates any different between the two? Is it simply a case of Rigby renaming an existing military round?

Thanks,
Nick

I believe the Rigby designation allowed them in countries that did not allow the military 7X57 cartridges. Semantics only.

E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks. Now for a stock question. Does anyone know what fiberglass or carbon fiber stock is closest to the ergos of the Butler Creek Mauser stock? I like the trim dimensions of this stock but am looking for a little higher quality on this rifle.
Thanks,
Nick

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
6.5x55

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
CKW Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Jim Kobe is an excellent Mauser gunsmith. He knows how to make them feed smoothly. His turnaround was fast and his prices reasonable.

"It is wise, though, to remember above all else: rifle, caliber, scope, and even bullets notwithstanding, the most important feature of successful big game hunting is to put that bullet in the correct place, the first time!" John Jobson
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Oh boy!
I have spent more time and money on Mauser sporters than the cost of a modest house.
1. Choice of a gunsmith it critical. Run like hell if he thinks he can make an improved ctg feed perfectly. Stick with a 7-57 or 270W or 30-06...nothing else.
2. Also run if he thinks your 1909 is hard enough. Most need to be hardened. If he says it needs to be "heat treated" bail! Those old military Mausers need to be carburized aka case hardened. Not the same thing as heat treating.
3. Be ready to spend around $3500+ to get a first rate metal job done otherwise don't bother. If you can't handle that then look for an early Browning Safari or an FN sporter made in the early 50's. Either will be a better product than most military Mauser upgrades.
4. The guys who really understand these will want about $10,000 minimum for complete job.
If you haven't passed out, I can provide names.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RinB
Oh boy!
I have spent more time and money on Mauser sporters than the cost of a modest house.
1. Choice of a gunsmith it critical. Run like hell if he thinks he can make an improved ctg feed perfectly. Stick with a 7-57 or 270W or 30-06...nothing else.
2. Also run if he thinks your 1909 is hard enough. Most need to be hardened. If he says it needs to be "heat treated" bail! Those old military Mausers need to be carburized aka case hardened. Not the same thing as heat treating.
3. Be ready to spend around $3500+ to get a first rate metal job done otherwise don't bother. If you can't handle that then look for an early Browning Safari or an FN sporter made in the early 50's. Either will be a better product than most military Mauser upgrades.
4. The guys who really understand these will want about $10,000 minimum for complete job.

I'm sorry, I disagree with you.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by evans1010
.275 Rigby

Thanks,
Nick

Same chamber and twist rate.

Yes.

The .275 Rigby was loaded with a 140 gr bullet instead of the 173-175 gr bullet for the 7x57. Otherwise they are the same.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Would also send an email to Jim Kobe. He knows his way around a 1909 and it won't cost you an arm and a leg. As the extractor holds the rim while loading, the more slope the cartridge's shoulder has, the more potential for smoother loading over the feed ramp. However, I have a number of mausers for improved cartridges (7x57AI, 280AI, 30-06AI) done by three different smiths and they all fed very smoothly. Cartridges longer than what the original mauser actions were intended for require modification to the magazine and/or the feed ramp. FWIW, the 7x57 as is, would be a great choice for that action as it requires no modification and is plenty of cartridge for deer and elk with 140-150/60g bullets. There is plenty of length in that magazine to handle the 7x57's bullet selection for chamber throated to a desired length.

Apparently, I have been fortunate with 98s. None of the work done was expensive compared to some of the custom 700 prices I have seen and all has been satisfying.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 1909 Argentine Mauser has a reputation of being "soft" and vulnerable to lug setback. I have three customs on 1909 actions.
A 240 Wby mag. A .338 Win mag. and a 220 swift , I have not had a problem with any of them. So I take internet wisdom with a grain of salt.

A few years back over on Accurate reloading forum they had a huge debate regarding the need to heat treat the 1909.
Duane Wiebe said it wasn't necessary, I trust his judgement.

To make life less complicated and avoid trouble I would stick with 7X57, 6.5X55, 6MM Rem., 8X57 etc...

270, 30-06, 280, 9.3X62, 25-06. 6mm-06 etc... will also work well, you may not be able to seat the bullets into the lands with some of the longer rounds, but in a hunting rifle that isn't a huge handicap.

Your blueprint sounds like a good plan and should make a wonderful rifle.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
E
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by RinB
Oh boy!

If this is the case I have an Argie barreled action for sale. Honestly I have no idea what kind of cost I'm looking at here so I'll try to get ahold of Mr. Kobe next week to see if I'm just waiting my time right now.
Thanks guys!
Nick

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Butch,
Good to hear from you. Just passing along what I learned from Tom Burgess.

My expectations re Mausers are very high.

Last edited by RinB; 05/28/17.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fro what you intend to hunt, I would think you could not do much better than the .35 Whelen. With regard to a trigger, I have had very good luck with Blackburn triggers on Mausers. Today they are made by Swift bullet company.

Last edited by 22WRF; 05/29/17.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 1badf350, 1minute, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 58 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,295
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.