Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
In the 80's I ran thousands thru a MKII and never recall any issues at all. Seemed 100% reliable, accurate, clean, and at .02 each.

These were the 40gr copper wash solids in 50 count cardboard boxes. Are they being made now and if so what's the consensus?

Seems then they were in a white box with red letters. Thanks.

GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have four pretty decent .22 boltguns, three CZs and an RAR, and the SuperX HPs (all I've tried) have been uniformly the worst ammo I've tried in them. Hands down, absolutely the worst (I haven't tried any Remington stuff, I refuse to put out the money for it).

I seldom buy solids. I buy stuff I'd hunt with, and don't mess with 'target ammo'.

I used to have pretty good luck with it, but today's WW stuff ain't worth messin' with, at least in my rifles. They'll do half-inch at 50 yards with HP CCIs or Federals, and I don't buy Remingtons, and the Winchesters are crap. I won't be buying any more.

These were the 100 packs in plastic boxes. Cabela's had them during the shortage, so I picked up 200 to add to the pile.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Same here. The old stuff was very good, the stuff I bought recently is very bad.

Work is what you do to finance your real life.....
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Looks like the good ol' days of high volume pleasure shooting while keeping the wallet fat are over. Shame. I was raised on Remington's "Thunderbolts". I like Mexican Aguilar ammo. Lots of different rimfire options. Affordable as well. I got a 30 carbine and their center fire is great as well. What's the world coming to when Mexico makes better ammo than America? Does anybody make 22WMR that is decent for under $13.00?

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
W-W HV stuff never does very well for me, and I honestly can't remember how well it did for me a generation ago. But, for the last 40 years I have observed the most consistency with standard vel and target ammo, which is what one can legitimately expect. I gave up on HV and HVHP ammo for hunting loooong ago and rely entirely on the really good target ammo- Tenex/Gold Ultra Match/etc.- for that now. Accuracy is paramount to me and small critters die from it.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have 2 bricks of the old Western 40gr. Super X. I have never tried them. They have been on my shelf for many years.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Good info, Butch they might be collectors fodder! Lol.

I have a stash of original PP that is the deadliest ammo I've used on game, and shoots bugholes at 50 yds in a 77/22 w/a re-worked - now 17" Butler Creek Bull Bbl, zero chamber by CPC.

Yes, I never bought match ammo, and use the less expensive solids for "plinking" and practice. Saving the more expensive HP for hunting. I have read many good reports of "alternative" brands, it really seems like RP and WW have bit the dust on most of their ammo. I even recall a time when RP made a match ammo that some said was decent.

Times have changed. Wish I could buy stock in these ammo companies...

Perhaps us Fire members need to start a new mfg company....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is a shame to hear of the decline of Super-X. I still have most of a case of it bought around the turn of the century and it is as accurate as anything else short of dedicated match ammo, and still close on the heels of that.

Same thing happened with cheapo Wildcat ammo. A friend and I bought a few 5,000 round cases at K-Mart for $90/case (1.8 cents/round, the good old days wink ) back in the mid-80's and I used that up through the late 90's to win several smallbore silhouette matches. When it ran out I bought some recent production stuff and it was crap.

CCI AR-Tactical seems to be pretty decent, I stocked up on that before Obama II and it shoots great in all my .22's. I see they've raised the price and lowered the round count - used to be 375 rounds in a bulk box and now it's 300 - but Cabela's and on-line dealers seem to have a good supply so I should probably get a box to evaluate.

Before Obama II decent ammo was around 6 cents/rd with the cheapest bulk around 4 cts/rd, now it looks like 9 to 12 cents/rd for good ammo is the new standard. I think you can get bulk stuff for a bit cheaper but for the past few years the bulk .22 ammo I've bought shot so badly it seemed to be false economy to buy it unless I just wanted to make noise and roll tin cans at close range. Geez, just gonna have to not think about it costing a buck every time I load up the 10/22 magazine... shocked

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Been shooting some from 2012 that's lights out good in 2 of my handguns. Looks like this.

The newer stuff I just picked up has a slightly different package, I sure hope they didn't change the formula.

Attached Images
8-win-x22lrpp1_1.jpg (23.87 KB, 18 downloads)

We deal in lead, friend.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I had asked a similar question over at Rimfire Central concerning T-22 and was told that the Winchester 22 LR ammo made today is NOTHING like 20-30 years ago. I still have some of the Old that a LGS had that I bought 4 bricks of the same lot # as it shoots consistently well in several 22's that I own

Jim

"2Day is the 1st Day of the rest of UR Life"
IC B3

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks folks. Looks like from many reports quality down, and definitely price up...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've had some WW that shot pretty accurately, but I agree that for the bulk stuff at least, the quality and reliability is not very good. Too bad. I think they were much better years ago.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow, I was just going to post a "range report" that the 40HP Super X seems to shoot pretty good in my 10/22. I did get one total dud with two rim strikes, and this was hunting hilly gophers inside 75 yards. I hadn't touched a rifle in eight months before my shoot, so I thought the misses were my fault, but the hits were authoritative. I guess I need to shoot some paper.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I rather liked the one box of Winchester 42gr Max Powerpoint I tried last weekend.
Guess it's made in Australia and of reported "old Super X quality".
Didn't make it to big gunshow today, so gotta hunt for 2 bricks of the stuff.
My Anschutz 184 loves it.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by hookeye
I rather liked the one box of Winchester 42gr Max Powerpoint I tried last weekend.
Guess it's made in Australia and of reported "old Super X quality".
Didn't make it to big gunshow today, so gotta hunt for 2 bricks of the stuff.
My Anschutz 184 loves it.

Winchester - Max 22 LR Power Point CPHP 42 Gr 50 Rounds
$5.05
($0.10 per round)
SKU:
WNPP22LRH42U
Weight:
0.43 LBS
Availability:
Usually ships within 24 hours of your order being placed.
Current Stock:
Available

https://ammoking.com/winchester-max-22-lr-power-point-cphp-42-gr-50-rounds/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

315 members (10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 16penny, 260Remguy, 48 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,689
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.