Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Looking for some recommendations. Myself, dad, cousin and a co-worker (4 of us total) are starting to plan a trip to ND, SD, NE or KS to pheasant hunt next fall (2018). We're looking at 3-4 days of hunting total. None of us have upland dogs, but we know we want to hunt over them so that is a requirement. We also want to hunt wild birds, NOT farm raised/released birds (we don't need to travel 1/2 way across the country to do that). Anyone have any guides they recommend? Other things we should be thinking about?

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some fire members have hunted with Dukxdog who posts here and have had a great time.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11167966/#Post11167966

Last edited by battue; 05/29/17.

laissez les bons temps rouler
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
That's probably the way to go. You would probably get a little frustrated traveling a long way and losing a lot of Birds because of no Dog. I prefer Pointing Dogs, but any well-trained Bird dog will do. Wild Rooster's have an amazing ability to sneak away from you and get behind you or run away before you get in range. A dog will usually stop that. One bit of advice. Groups have a tendency to make a racket on a drive. The Roosters have great hearing and will bug out long before you even see them. Don't whistle, sing or talk while your hunting. This coming from a guy who started hunting Pheasants in 1962. Lots of experience. Enjoy your hunt. Wish my knees weren't shot, I would be out there also.

Better to be over the hill than under it.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Check out border to border outfitters. Guy seems top notch. I've ordered some gear from him and he post a lot on social media. There is also a member here who does west Texas quail hunts. I believe his name is Mike with West Texas hunts.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rondrews
That's probably the way to go. You would probably get a little frustrated traveling a long way and losing a lot of Birds because of no Dog. I prefer Pointing Dogs, but any well-trained Bird dog will do. Wild Rooster's have an amazing ability to sneak away from you and get behind you or run away before you get in range. A dog will usually stop that. One bit of advice. Groups have a tendency to make a racket on a drive. The Roosters have great hearing and will bug out long before you even see them. Don't whistle, sing or talk while your hunting. This coming from a guy who started hunting Pheasants in 1962. Lots of experience. Enjoy your hunt. Wish my knees weren't shot, I would be out there also.

Good advice!

Went and stayed at dukxdog's rental had a good time. Takes a bit of footwork and a few road trips, gas maps to find good public land to hunt wild birds.

I hunt Montana WA KS SD ND ID every year. Been hearing reports very bad winters in ND and SD and numbers are way down
I'd spend the money and go with outfitter first year unless you have a lot of time to drive to check out areas.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
We are definitely looking for a guided hunt as none of us have upland dogs. The only real negotiable items at this point are location and whether or not we pay a guide for lodging/meals.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You can limit out on pheasants without a dog. Don't let a lack of a dog prevent you from hunting.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
You can limit out on pheasants without a dog. Don't let a lack of a dog prevent you from hunting.

It has less to do with shooting a limit and more to do with wanting to hunt behind dogs. Hunting behind dogs can provide a very different experience.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Give Darik a call, ringneckretreat.com.

Hitchcock,SD, town of about 96, Main Street is dirt, but they have a tavern! Either drive, it's about midway between Mitchell and Aberdeen, or fly into Aberdeen. A lodge you'd never believe was there. Great fields and birds, even better dogs. Most amazing kennel you'll ever hunt over. With your size group, you'll likely share with another group?

You won't get the opener, that's my group!

Tell him Kurt from KC told you to call.

Last edited by USMC2602; 07/08/17.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Tag

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Forget eastern Nebraska....pheasants have been nearly extinct since the 1980 s around here anyway.....we were overrun with birds before that...when we quit raising milo the pheasant population died...

C
C
We have hunted 4 times with JP Denmark in Viborg, SD. They have wild pheasants and you hunt with the party you bring. They do not fill in to get a large group. Our experience has been outstanding each time. You can find them on the net.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by USMC2602
Give Darik a call, ringneckretreat.com.

With your size group, you'll likely share with another group?

Tell him Kurt from KC told you to call.

We would prefer not to hunt with another group. In a week or two when things slow down at work I'll start making some calls, I'll be sure to let them know you recommended them.

Originally Posted by Commissioner
We have hunted 4 times with JP Denmark in Viborg, SD. They have wild pheasants and you hunt with the party you bring. They do not fill in to get a large group. Our experience has been outstanding each time. You can find them on the net.

Thanks. I'll check them out.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 16gage, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,647 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,459
Posts18,471,175
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.