.22 lr

Next in line would be the....

.22 CF - appeals to regular folks

or

22x15 CF - snooty American shooters

or

5.7X15 - for the Euro weenies

Last edited by muffin; 05/29/17.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I had no idea we were trying to appeal to regular folks.

Loonies, certainly.

How'z about .22 O.A.? Obamy Antidote...

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Given the inevitable velocity loss that Winter brings, with cast lubricated bullets, it would be CRAZY not to add in a "Chilly Dog" loading.

Ringman,.....you know this over pressure crap in and out,....care to comment.

gnohaaa,.....you've no IDEA how deep I had to scrounge into what passes for a reefer here,....looking for a frozen hot dog.
....on your head be it , if the dried up, singularly unappetizing freezer fossil does me in.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Sorry fellas; been casting .251 1--30 airgun pellets and Ive been glaring at a .225 Magma die and punch.

WTF is this thread in regards to?

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Greasing thine own balls?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
.22 Sniffle

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've been on vacation, and had time to think about this.

A single shot action, like an H&R with a .223 barrel, and a 7/16OD .251 liner which can be had for $6/inch puts me in the 25ACP alternative really easy. Slight mod with an extractor. but after that, its all head space and chambering.

If I want to get cute, a Remington No 4 with the Potterfield firing pin mod will do as well.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
.22 Sniffle

Methinks I just pessed me sharts laffin'.....I like. laugh

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
RWE, that might just be entirely too simple. Just sayin'.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RWE
I've been on vacation, and had time to think about this.

A single shot action, like an H&R with a .223 barrel, and a 7/16OD .251 liner which can be had for $6/inch puts me in the 25ACP alternative really easy. Slight mod with an extractor. but after that, its all head space and chambering.

If I want to get cute, a Remington No 4 with the Potterfield firing pin mod will do as well.

Weak, and silly perhaps,.....don't know about "cute",.....

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 05/30/17.

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Present it to the masses in a plebian platform such as the H&R break open, and let we loonies graft it into more elegant venues such as small Martinis, kiplaufs, LowWalls, etc.

For "the masses" to take to it will take a super-simple means to load for it as well as cheap factory ammo, not to mention another protracted shortage of .22 rimfire stocks. In the end I fear it'll boil down a handful of we old farts scattered across the country snubbing our noses at contemporary sensibilities. But, stranger things have happened.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Present it to the masses in a plebian platform such as the H&R break open, and let we loonies graft it into more elegant venues such as small Martinis, kiplaufs, LowWalls, etc.

For "the masses" to take to it will take a super-simple means to load for it as well as cheap factory ammo, not to mention another protracted shortage of .22 rimfire stocks. In the end I fear it'll boil down a handful of we old farts scattered across the country snubbing our noses at contemporary sensibilities. But, stranger things have happened.

Bread and circus edition.

Now we've come to a use for all those Rossi 22/410 combos.

Sleeve the 410, and pirate the 22LR ejector from the other barrel. A little file work, some chambering, and chaching.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm sure liking the idea of a thick walled, "everlasting" honker of a case, with an internal "shelf" whereupon a proper flat based bullet can settle in well aligned repose. Can't BELIEVE that DD is talking heeled bullets,...I see them as case killers, myself.
Seriously looking at .32 cal, in I.D. sleeved .38 cases,......silver soldering the sleeves in was the original thoughts, but I'm now looking at some super tough ceramic filled epoxy that should pack the gear , as far as assembling the case components.
.......once the sleeves are prototyped, tested, proven,.....I'd be looking for a small job shop running a CNC Swiss screw machine with bar feed,.....hopefully using off the shelf thick wall tube stock.

GTC

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Would the epoxy be too brittle to allow for re-sizing the case?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Henry Single Shot.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
Would the epoxy be too brittle to allow for re-sizing the case?

The whole idea , and definition of an everlasting case is one that is formed or machined to final dimensions, and than NEVER touched with any sort of tool again. I've made them out of very economical, dreamy to machine 12L14 STEEL,.....the ONLY reason for sleeving an existing .32, or 38 BRASS case is that one can avail himself of standard SAAMI reamers, ....reground and piloted for the appropriate bore size,.....none of this high $$$$, wait forever, deal, from fella's that are already buried in work. I can tool post grind a .357 mag reamer in my little South Bend, to perfectly functional form, to pilot into a .32, .30, 28, 25.....whatever.
. For .25 cal, I'd LOVE to have a bucket .32 shorts to play with. wink
The "Epoxy" that I'm looking at is flying around in the vacuum of deep space right now, going through heating and cooling cycles that would boggle most minds,....you DON'T scoop it off the shelf down at Ace hardware.
As far as ductility and ability to expand and contract while maintaining bond strength, consider that there are many newer aircraft zooming about that have no rivets securing their main wing spars to the fuselage,.....they're GLUING them in.
GTC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pappy348

For "the masses" to take to it will take a super-simple means to load for it as well as cheap factory ammo, not to mention another protracted shortage of .22 rimfire stocks. In the end I fear it'll boil down a handful of we old farts scattered across the country snubbing our noses at contemporary sensibilities.] But, stranger things have happened.

Henry Single Shot.

Can't speak to the fear aspect.
Can damn sure guarantee that's a savvy read on this stunt.

GTC

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I'm sure liking the idea of a thick walled, "everlasting" honker of a case, with an internal "shelf" whereupon a proper flat based bullet can settle in well aligned repose. Can't BELIEVE that DD is talking heeled bullets,...I see them as case killers, myself.

GTC

I was advocating that around 20 pages back. I don't know about heeled bullets being a case killer though, as long as chamber dimensions and case dimensions are such that no sizing is required and loads are kept at a sane level.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
.22 Whifflepoof?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm sure enjoying the banter about this idea, wish I was more of a "machinist" type in order to contribute along those lines.

Agree with the idea it may need to be available in an "affordable" rifle/revolver platform or it stands a very good chance of being another specialty item only loonies will take to.

Love the idea of the everlasting case.

The ability to come up with a relatively inexpensive "non-lead" commercially produced projectile would be a plus for those living in areas that require such for hunting on all lands (Cali soon) or on state managed lands (i.e. WA). If not commercially produced an alternative to cast lead that a regular guy could produce in his own shop. Those of us who hope to live longer than the next few election cycles may one day see an administration at the Fed level that will require non-tox on ALL fed public lands mad

The non-tox will not be an issue in the event of the demise of civilization or a "survival" situation............lead will serve fine in that case.

I'm sure glad there are dreamers in this world, and dreamers that work on their dreams are the best.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 11 of 32 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 31 32

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (35, beefan, 308ld, 808outdoors, 338reddog, 7 invisible), 913 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,206
Posts18,524,263
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.