Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Pittu Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I picked up a Model 16 Lightweight Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor a while back and it is a decent shooter. One thing I don't care for much is the fact that the BA is super light, yet the stock is a friggen club. It physically looks way too large for the rifle, and it seems to weigh more than it needs to. The rifle don't kick bad at all, so I started to wonder if there is a slimmer trimmer replacement stock out there. I suppose I could pick up a Boyd's and make some chips in the shop, but short of that anyone replaced one of these? What'd you go with and how did you like it?

Eat moose, burn spruce
HR IC

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Could drop it in a couple McMillan styles, I would think.

E
E
Boyds has new laminated stock that works with the new Savage models.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stockade stocks makes several different styles for the savage

there iS a stockade stock for SA savage in the classifieds for sale now.

if it was southpaw Id snag it for myself.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I did see where Boyds has one out specifically for the LWH now, but not sure of dimensions or if that's what you were actually referring to to begin with?

Regardless, I'm looking in the same direction, as I'm doubting I like the factory savage synthetic too much, once I get hold of mine. Mine is the 20" 243, but I've got a CM 6.5 creedmoor 22" tube weighting, that may add some weight, also.

Last edited by hh4whiskey; 05/30/17.
IC B2

Pittu Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the ideas. I have a few mcmillans, but I'm not looking to drop another 500 right now, maybe if I come across a used one fairly cheap....

I'm not familiar with the Stockade stocks but they look like a nice alternative to a McMillan for just a bit less cash. I may go the Boyd's route. Just not sure if I can remove enough material to get the complete rig back under 6 1/2 pounds. Might be worth a try.....

Eat moose, burn spruce
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
do you have the wood or synthetic stocked version? im really quite fond of the wood myself (thats what she said)

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigDave39355

Too bad all their option seem to be available only for blind magazine models.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WiFowler

In the fine print descriptions they mention

We also make stocks for the detachable mag and bottom release rifles which just came out.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

E
E
I put one of those Boyds stocks for a Savage LWT Hunter on a 300 WSM Savage 16 XP Hunter. The fit was prefect even with the heavier contour barrel. The mag rattles around a little. Can post a picture if interested.. The gun really balances better with the weight of the laminate stock than it did with the plastic factory stock.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WiFowler

In the fine print descriptions they mention

We also make stocks for the detachable mag and bottom release rifles which just came out.

Missed that in my initial scan of their web site. Thanks for pointing it out. Certainly sheds some light on stock options for the Savage line(s).

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Pittu Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
do you have the wood or synthetic stocked version? im really quite fond of the wood myself (thats what she said)

Mine is the synthetic. In hindsight, I wish I would have gotten the wood stocked version, but I dont think it was available with the stainless bbl, if I remember right.

Finding a wood LWH stock would actually be a pretty good option....hmmm

Anyone got a Savage 11 LWH Wood stock for sale? smile

Last edited by Pittu; 05/31/17.

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pittu
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

Mine is the synthetic. In hindsight, I wish I would have gotten the wood stocked version, but I dont think it was available with the stainless bbl, if I remember right.

Finding a wood LWH stock would actually be a pretty good option....hmmm

Anyone got a Savage 11 LWH Wood stock for sale? smile

Check eBay, there is usually factory stocks listed....

Or Boyd's.

Dave

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by vabowhntr
Could drop it in a couple McMillan styles, I would think.

McMillan told me that since they would need to reinforce the stock to work with a Savage LWH even a edge would only shave a few ounces of the weight if any.

Ted
Pittu Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I picked up one of the Boyd's LWH stocks for it. It is well finished and looks great but the action is a little sloppy in the inlet so I'll probably need to bed it. Also didn't come with the spacer for the front action screw or front magazine tab, so a call into Boyd's tomorrow will probably involve being on hold for 20 minutes if I get to speak to anyone at all.

Eat moose, burn spruce
Pittu Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just a follow up, I called Boyds and they answered immediately. She was friendly, helpful and took care of my problem. Nothing but satisfied at this point.

Eat moose, burn spruce
E
E
I had the same problem when I ordered mine, and also had the same experience. They had the spacer and tab shipped to me within a week.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1936M71, 1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 60 invisible), 2,382 guests, and 882 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,807
Posts18,496,383
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.