Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atvalaska
Trailers are a good bet...

Prolly the best answer right there. But expect as things tighten we'll see lots of folks selling theirs

Lil known fact, it's difficult to make $$ in a shrinking economy

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Part of the thing with the "F-35 economy" is that the people the project brings in are not Alaskan, and, like other government created opportunities, don't support the more traditional Alaskan elements in the economy. So, anything that resembles "the comforts of home" - like McDonalds, and all those crap vendors, road vehicles, good grocery vendors, and some of the basics move pretty well. I'm not sure how an influx of families with school-age kids affects school funding around Fairbanks, but imagine it helps to get as many of them off-base as possible which gets them paying into local tax assessments, and also helps to keep property values higher so everyone else 'gets' to kick in more as well.

And I guess it does help to keep the riff-raff... ahem... out however.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 05/30/17.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A positive, gitterdone attitude and a respect for the land and it's resources !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

And don't get me started on Juneau. Those poor sobs have cut our bloated budget so much the only thing left to cut is road maintenance & teachers, well according to them

That is the real problem. Increasing an already seriously bloated budget is not cutting it...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look on Craigs List. Lots of people posting looking to have things hauled up or down. Running a ad in all four areas wouldn't hurt.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Honda 4wheelers always seem to get top dollar up here and dont last long on Craig's List either.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
old rifles and six guns. The is a huge market for old mausers and sw 357 revolvers. Old Winchester 94s and Savage 99s. You would know believe how much used guns go for up here.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaboku68
old rifles and six guns. The is a huge market for old mausers and sw 357 revolvers. Old Winchester 94s and Savage 99s. You would know believe how much used guns go for up here.

Old mausers selling well? I have sat on bunches of them for far too long and practically had to give them away. Talking Mex and Argentine, and a number of others, original stuff, rebarreled actions with quality barrels. I simply have not seen any interest in them. OlBlue has bought several of them for less than I see them for down south.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh and by a bunch I mean over a dozen at a time at a gun show booth with zero interest. I still have a dozen or so.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't use mausers, because they tend to jam.

Every guy that moves here has to have a .375 and a .44 revolver. Enough of the population is in the process of moving out at any given time that there is a fair amount of circulation going on.

Things that are difficult to ship or expensive to ship are in demand, but you can only fit so many (due to same).

Yeti coolers and any of the imitations.
Enclosed (snowmachine) trailers

I would think if you filled that entire space with Yamaha 50hp 4-stroke outboards and parked in the Kenai Sportsman's Warehouse parking lot with a big sign and a credit card machine, you could do pretty well.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Father in Law drove up an enclosed trailer last time he did the Alcan. Says much cheaper to buy down here than up there, so I think he put an extra trailer inside the trailer to sell.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
I would think if you filled that entire space with Yamaha 50hp 4-stroke outboards and parked in the Kenai Sportsman's Warehouse parking lot with a big sign and a credit card machine, you could do pretty well.

lol

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
When you go through Canada, stop and purchase all of the original "Jerry Jugs" you can get your hands on. People will buy them by the drove! Don't forget to buy all of the nozzle repair and cap kits too. Instant market😉

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
I don't use mausers, because I tend to eat toe jam.

There you go, more accurate!
wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
When you go through Canada, stop and purchase all of the original "Jerry Jugs" you can get your hands on. People will buy them by the drove! Don't forget to buy all of the nozzle repair and cap kits too. Instant market😉

And this is the best suggestion by far! laugh (And for those who need original repair parts for the Scepter jugs they have carefully hoarded, eBay can be a handy way to get them.)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Scepter-Spout-Kit-Jerry-Gas-Can-4-Piece-Parts-03647-Stopper-Vent-Screw-Cap-/182033023767?hash=item2a62038317:g:i9IAAOSwG-1Wy7SM

Last edited by Klikitarik; 06/01/17.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
do not bother to haul them they are in huge quantities just in Whitehorse ... the big city for us the small one for the Anchorage or Fairbanks people ...pretty sure there is a bunch in Dawson city ...

should start a business ....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A pick up a dozen plastic gas cans for pilot friends every time I go through Whitehorse.
The USA cans with Obama spout are a real PIA when standing on a Supercub tire trying
to get gas into the wing tanks.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by VernAK
A pick up a dozen plastic gas cans for pilot friends every time I go through Whitehorse.
The USA cans with Obama spout are a real PIA when standing on a Supercub tire trying
to get gas into the wing tanks.

Shhhh! Not so loud😀

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

646 members (16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 78 invisible), 3,047 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,353
Posts18,487,900
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.